Notices

Superboat Accident

Old 04-24-2002, 04:52 PM
NIT2WIN

Cowisl - 135 mph on the straight away to be exact. The problem with a 20,000 pound + boat on three engines is that it bogs down in the turns. But at least it can finish ( and win ) a race.

Old 04-24-2002, 04:58 PM
NIT2WIN

Baja Daze - Unfortunately it is true. When I saw the news I called them to report that they had made a mistake, Lord knows after what poor Dave Woods and Art Lilly had been through having their BRAND NEW Scism cat ruined, the last thing they needed was to be blamed for something that wasn't their fault and that's when they (channel 7) informed me that they received their information from the racing sanctions media relations dept. When I asked if they had seen the video they admitted no but said that they trusted the information given to them to be accurate.

Old 04-24-2002, 05:29 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accurate like this????

KEY WEST, Fla. – March 17, 2002 – International actor and star of the fame hit television series Beverly Hills 90210, Jason Priestley, today signed a letter of intent to race in the 2002 Super Boat International offshore superboat racing circuit.
The Miami Super Boat Grand Prix scheduled to take place April 19-21, 2002, will mark the debut of the Jason Priestley Superboat Racing Team. Reggie Fountain, president and CEO of Fountain Powerboats and one of the top racing legends in the sport will be Jason’s throttle man. Fountain has notched more than 100 career victories and through a two-year stretch went undefeated in major offshore competition. “I’m not in this to come in second, I want a team that has a chance of winning the national and world championships the first year and what better way to get it done then to have Reggie at the throttles,” said Priestley.

Priestley will race a 42-foot Fountain Scism, Cat-hull, housing twin 1000 hp engines and will race in the Superboat Class were the boats are capable of speeds in excess of 150 mph. The partnership between Outdoor Life Network and SBI, along with onboard cameras will allow millions of fans an up-close look at Jason gunning for the championships. “With Jason’s smart racing skills developed from racing cars, he has a legitimate chance of winning the championship,” said John Carbonell, President of SBI.

Priestley is no stranger to superboat racing, on Sept. 9, 2001, Priestley set a new world lap speed record of 147.4 mph in the New York Super Boat Grand Prix aboard the superboat Planetman. “We are delighted to have Jason racing with SBI again, this season is the strongest season to date for SBI and with the addition of four new race sites and 10 races overall, it is going to be a great year for our fans and Jason’s,” said Carbonell.

Priestley follows in a long tradition of SBI celebrity drivers. Don Johnson, Kurt Russell, and Chuck Norris have all been racers in the Biggest, Fastest Boats™ in the world.

An active racecar driver, Priestly has competed professionally in dozens of racing events over the last few years, and has signed on with ABC Sports to provide commentary for the Indy Racing League circuit.

For more information or SBI sponsorship opportunities visit www.superboat.com or call (305) 296-6166.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:22 PM
plumbgirl87

It sounds to me NIT2WIN that you may be a disgruntled employee with an ax to grind with Mr. Campbell. You should really get the whole and correct story before you start making statements. Another thing, there are several video tapes of the accident and not all of them show the entire incident.

If I remember correctly it is not Jasons 1st time in a Superboat either. Didn't he race in New York last year in the Planetman Boat? And I am SURE he practiced before the Miami event in the boat he was actually racing in.

Old 04-24-2002, 06:24 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

In NY he sat in the back seat of Planetman and went for a joy ride. Russ and Tim were at the controls.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:26 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You got that right Ron but who gets the credit for the drive
Old 04-24-2002, 06:35 PM
NIT2WIN

No disrespect Plumbgirl but I was never an employee of Mr. Campbell's and EQUAL PARTNER yes but NEVER an employee. Not only did I witness
the incident from the water at the race but the video that I saw was the exact way that it happened. I can assure you that anything I have to say on this board you can take to the bank! By the way, if you call going for a joy ride in dead flat water on Biscayne Bay practice the same as "experience" then you have alot to learn about what its like handling a boat like that under racing conditions.

Old 04-24-2002, 06:47 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

This will be my final comment on this situation.

Any person racing in thier first offshore race with the wheel or sticks in their hand is mandated by the rules to start 100 yards behind the pack so that they don't get bunched up in the first turn. Sounds like this didn't happen.

No one should expect to win their first race. It should be a learning experience.

The throttleman is mostly to blame for placing the rookie driver in this situation.

Jason is getting a bad rap but remember, his hands were on the wheel not the sticks.

I hope that this doesn't scare JP away from the sport. Celebrity's come and go in this sport and while they are with us, the crowds get bigger and the press takes more notice. I can't hurt the sport.

I don't know Dan Cambell, but he should have been the teacher and JP the student. This first race should have been nothing more than a classroom.

I'm just glad that Art and David are OK.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:52 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with you Ron. However they are a TEAM. If Jason was not comfotable with the speed or the entry into the turn then he needs to communicate that with his T-man. I am all for him racing out there as you said it attracts a lot of attention to the sport. I just hope that they learn from this and slow down some before some one gets killed.

Jon
Old 04-24-2002, 06:54 PM
NIT2WIN

Lets do a comparison:

John Tomlinson with rookie Hugh Fuller = World Champion (Drambuie on ice)& (Hydrogenmedia.com)

Bobby Moore with rookie Jim Robinson = World champion (Nuff Respect)

Jerry Gilbreath with rookie Matt Alcone = World Champion (Alcone Mototsports)

Dan Campbell with rookie Jason Priestly = Crash at the FIRST turn of the FIRST lap in very FIRST race

Quick Reply: Superboat Accident

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.