OT: All you street rodders! >

OT: All you street rodders!

Notices

OT: All you street rodders!

Old 04-24-2002, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: All you street rodders!

For all of you with High Horsepower Hot Rods, which street tires do you guys use to get some traction? I bought a set of the BF Goodrich Drad Radials and I'm not impressed at all even with the air pressure very low.

Last edited by SR-24; 04-24-2002 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just got some 8" Hoosier Quick Time DOT approved slicks for our big block powered 66 vette. We will be trying them out soon. Basically they are slicks with three lines on them. Anything will be better than the street tires. Last fall we ran a 13.45 at 110mph and had a 2.5 sec 60 ft time. This winter we added headers and got the slicks. The headers really woke the car up and with the slicks we are expecting mid 12's. We will find out soon.
Old 04-24-2002, 04:24 PM
Coddigtion

How high of HP, I always use Nittos or ET Streets. I had a C5 vette that would run 10.80's all day on Nittos, they hook the best and after that are the ET streets. Are you an automatic or a sifty car?

Old 04-24-2002, 04:41 PM
Registered

WV, let me know how the Hoosier's do.

Coddigtion, I have never had mine on a dyno, but seeing results of other engines that are almost identical and seeing the numbers that are in the magazines I have anywhere from 425 to 450 horse. I had the ET's or the Nitto 555R as my next choice. I'm glad you've ran them both because I probably would've went with the ET's first. Have you ever ran the BF Goodrich? If so, does the Nitto just blow it away?
Old 04-24-2002, 04:45 PM
Coddigtion

I made one pass on the BFG's, if that tells you anything. They spun on the 2-3 shift so bad that I almost lost the car and this is with an A4 tranny.

I would go with the 555's, the ET's seem like a little much for that amount of HP. Remember slicks can slow you down and you can bog if you don't have enough power to get you out of the hole.

What kind of car is this in?

Old 04-24-2002, 04:59 PM
Registered

I have a '68 Camaro with a 383, turbo 350 and a Ford 9" with 3.70 gears.
What kind of horsepower are you running in yours? 10.80's is impressive for a C5 Vette.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:04 PM
Coddigtion

It was faster than the 10.80 that you saw, but it wasn't on ET streets, I have a few passes that were down into the 9's. It was putting down ~500hp before the nitrous and I was spraying 300hp of nitrous.

Your car sounds like more fun, these stinking vettes got old, just too far out of the ragged edge.

Cheers,

Linn

Old 04-24-2002, 09:41 PM
loosecannon22

10.5X 15 radir whitewall drag slicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blown hemi A gas car. spins 'em all the way down.

Old 04-24-2002, 10:46 PM
Makino

Wavejumppin,
If you are going to "cruz" the car around and may see the occasional officer you may want the Hoosier Quick Time's, a true treaded sticky DOT approved tire. If cruzing is not an issue the Quick Time Pro's are nice as well as the M&H street tires. The only problem is they have very little tread to speak of and after a couple burnouts (or less) at the track they won't pass as having enough tread to be legal on the street. But none of these tires are truely designed for cruzing any great distances.

Do you have any traction devices? Ladder bars, lift bars, slapper bars, ect. Any of these things not being properly adjusted or installed, can sometimes make wheel spin worse.

Good Luck...............