Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Speaking of parrot's, who know's about owning one. >

Speaking of parrot's, who know's about owning one.

Notices

Speaking of parrot's, who know's about owning one.

Old 04-25-2002, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaking of parrot's, who know's about owning one.

A guy I work with has a parrot, and he wants me to take it with everything needed, cage, ect... He has young kids that torment the bird and the bird is mean now, especially to the kids and those two dont mix well. It's still good with him when the kids aren't around though. I don't know anything about them, anyone have any advice? My concern is That I'm not home much, and I hear that dont do well without constant attention and people around alot. Any advice, or would it be ok without me around other than in the evening most the time, but not always.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:21 AM
Registered

Walk away.............

Bird need more attention than cats and dogs. If you are never home, the bird will become quite neurotic, and then most likely die. Have never owned one myself for this and other reasons.

If you want a pet get a pyton or something.......a mouse a month, and their happy.....
Old 04-25-2002, 11:29 AM
Registered

What kind of parrot is it?? That will make alot of difference...My brother has an African Grey...it is definitely a one person bird...it has taken a few chunks of skin off my hands if I get to near.....most parrots do require some attention but to varying degrees.....the marina that I used to keep my boat at had a blue and gold macaw.....it was quite friendly to anyone who would give it some attention.....but it was very loud......they make great pets.....but like any other pet...they do require attention......
Old 04-25-2002, 11:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a Cherry Headed Conure that would not be tamed.
We wound up giving the damn thing way, cage and all.
The new owner found the bird to be quite tame. It was because they had no other pets in the house, we had 3 cats besides the bird.
Risk Take is right, they will go neurotic with out attention.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We had a Mulaka Cockatoo(?sp). It was a beautiful bird, tame, loving but... It required alot of attention. They are like 2-3 year olds. Has to be around people. Ate fresh cooked food, pasta, few nuts and seeds. Needs the cage cleaned daily and is messy. Finally at night would screek so loud it set off the glass break alarm for the house. Will live to over 80 years old and you have to will it away. Finally gave it the the beautiful armwoir cage and all the toys and perch away. Value nearly $5k.
Don't do it. If you like the birks, go to the pet store and visit theirs.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:13 PM
Banned

We had birds when I was married, and I hated those damn things. They will wake up at sunrise and raise hell even when they are covered. They throw seed all around the cage. I finally made the wife give away the biggest one (Cockatoo). When she got it, I asked her how long they live. She said 80 years. I assured her this one would NOT live that long.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DUUUUDE!!!

Unless you like getting up at the crack of dawn EVERY morning. Walk!! BIG BIG Mistake. Stick to the "hot little birdies" on your Redline!!!!

Maximus
Old 04-25-2002, 12:52 PM
Registered

My wife and I have had birds for years. I agree completely with what everyone else has said. They require a lot of attention. Fresh foods, not just birdseed, are mandatory for them to be healthy. Daily water changes and clean up around the cage also has to be done. If you travel you have to train a friend to come over and take care of them since they require more than a dog or cat. On the plus side they can be very entertaining and intelligent. Probably not the pet for a single guy though
Old 04-25-2002, 01:08 PM
Registered

Intresting, this is an african grey, I belive. I do have a cat, that's a total spaz, so they could keep each other company and entertain each other if I get it, but that will be something I have to see how the cat act's around it first. I've had birds before, just never a parrot, and I'm aware of the mess they make. You guy's are making me seriously think if I want to get this or not.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:28 PM
Registered

Default Re: DUUUUDE!!!

Originally posted by Maximus
Stick to the "hot little birdies" on your Redline!!!!

Maximus

Those keep me up all night, Then the bird getting me up at dawn would get me to work early. SWEET!! It's the perfect combo!!

Thanks for the replies, It gives me alot of things to consider.

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 04-25-2002 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Speaking of parrot's, who know's about owning one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.