Notices

Mercury 1300/1350 Price

Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't trust Mercury...They don't R&D their stuff like they used to.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

So $202.000.00 list minus the 40% dealer back equates to a cost of 121.200.00 each. looks like good profit for the dealer or oem if they can sell at list prices. something tells me if these are purchased thru a different country they will be even cheaper as i see 6's cost less than 25k in canada vs 33-34 in the states. so this pkg will be less then 120k in canada i'd bet
Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,691 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
Just curious: On what, exactly, are you basing that statement?

Granted, we don't actually know how well this new engine will perform in the field because there aren't any in the field. But the 1075SCi is a good example of what Mercury Racing's R&D folks can do. Have they had problems? Of course. Whose engine's haven't? But I've heard a lot, and I mean a lot, more than good about the 1075 than bad, and here's the kicker:

I heard it from Mercury Racing's competitors including Mike D'Anniballe at Sterling, Bob Teague at Teague Custom Marine and Paul Ray at Ilmor. Why would they praise this engine if it weren't good?

Plus, I've been part of testing dozens of 1075-powered boats, and I can't recall one engine problem in any of them.

So again, on what exactly do you base that statement? Not attacking n any way, just curious.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Interesting price point considering you can buy a complete boat (used) with 1075 power for less than the engine/drive costs alone. I would also think the buyer is now thinking of the new concept of disposable engines. Buy new power from an independent engine builder, run them until they blow up and buy a new set. Even after 3-4 seasons of this you still wouldn't have spent the money that Mercury got up front for their stuff.
Jupiter and I always have such good discussions. I will preface what I'm about to say with the fact that there are no 1300/1350 engines in the field so we know nothing firsthand about their performance or reliability. That said:

1. Comparing used to new doesn't work for me, even if used means you get a whole boat and new means you get one one. It's interesting as point as price relativity, but not terribly relevant. For the new Ferrari I just saw on the cover of Car and Driver I could a whole fleet of used Porsche's. And the point would be ...

1. If I a guy with the bank for a new high-end go-fast boat and I want big power, the one-year warranty offered on the 1300/1350 is huge. I want my boat to work, and when it doesn't I want a service network. And because I am a rich guy not used to waiting, I want it now. Mercury Racing is far from perfect, but I'd rather pay more up front than go through the hassle of switching out engines every other year, even if the cost one-third of the price of the Mercury product.

2. Along those lines, you'd have to show me a new 1,300-hp engine-and-drive combo that costs $67,333 (roughly one third the price of a 1300/1350) and comes with a one-year warranty. Sterling doesn't offer that package. Nor does Teague.

3. Again, I will preface this by saying we have no field evidence, but the cost of ownership of the 1300/1350 should be (if we take the Mercury Racing people at their word) significantly lower than comparably powered, and even lower-powered engine supercharged engines thanks to longer service intervals and better fuel-efficiency. The No. 1 complaint I've heard about the 1075? Cost of ownership.

Jupe, I'm not saying the that $202,000 for a boat engine and drive isn't outrageous. It is. But so are the prices of exotic cars, private jets and, frankly, high-performance boats. Mystic, Skater and MTI aren't exactly giving away their products.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:39 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
That reminds me of when the 1075 was released (originally released as a 1050) ..... Not enough adequate testing and there were tons of problems.... The first people who bought those motors had to watch their boats sit for a year and loose half its value while not getting to use it.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

With a year warranty, they must be pretty comfotable with the testing they have done.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Jupiter and I always have such good discussions. I will preface what I'm about to say with the fact that there are no 1300/1350 engines in the field so we know nothing firsthand about their performance or reliability. That said:

1. Comparing used to new doesn't work for me, even if used means you get a whole boat and new means you get one one. It's interesting as point as price relativity, but not terribly relevant. For the new Ferrari I just saw on the cover of Car and Driver I could a whole fleet of used Porsche's. And the point would be ...

1. If I a guy with the bank for a new high-end go-fast boat and I want big power, the one-year warranty offered on the 1300/1350 is huge. I want my boat to work, and when it doesn't I want a service network. And because I am a rich guy not used to waiting, I want it now. Mercury Racing is far from perfect, but I'd rather pay more up front than go through the hassle of switching out engines every other year, even if the cost one-third of the price of the Mercury product.

2. Along those lines, you'd have to show me a new 1,300-hp engine-and-drive combo that costs $67,333 (roughly one third the price of a 1300/1350) and comes with a one-year warranty. Sterling doesn't offer that package. Nor does Teague.

3. Again, I will preface this by saying we have no field evidence, but the cost of ownership of the 1300/1350 should be (if we take the Mercury Racing people at their word) significantly lower than comparably powered, and even lower-powered engine supercharged engines thanks to longer service intervals and better fuel-efficiency. The No. 1 complaint I've heard about the 1075? Cost of ownership.

Jupe, I'm not saying the that $202,000 for a boat engine and drive isn't outrageous. It is. But so are the prices of exotic cars, private jets and, frankly, high-performance boats. Mystic, Skater and MTI aren't exactly giving away their products.

Matt

I do too much thinking with "my wallet" so that was the idea with proposing my analogy of a complete used/demo/repo boat for my 400K purchase. The other thing is on new power the service/parts maybe an issue for dealers. If the power/drive is brand new the local Mercury shop in Smalltown, USA may not be ready to fix it. TNT/Shogren and other regional hi-perf shops maybe ready to fix it but time maybe an issue. I suspect the 1 year warranty may run out while you are trying to get your boat fixed!

I have a friend that is a new yacht sales guy (heavy on the 60 ft + market, 20+ years in the same office). He hasn't sold a new boat in over a year despite carrying many lines of all types of yachts. Why? He said used stuff is such a steal (60 cents on the dollar) he can't get buyers to rationalize the new vs savings equation. This was also ringing in my head when I posted the new power for 400K vs a nice very low hour used/demo/repo with solid 1075 power analogy.

You had a great one liner though..........new Ferrari or a fleet of Porsches. I guess I am a cheapskate that likes German cars!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

[/QUOTE]
You had a great one liner though..........new Ferrari or a fleet of Porsches. I guess I am a cheapskate that likes German cars! [/QUOTE]

My friend, I am the same cheapskate. For the price of one new high-end Ferrari, I would be delighted to own used Porsches for the rest of my life.

You always make good points. Cheers.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Just curious Matt,
What have you heard on the AMG Cigarette? That had the 1350 set up @ Miami. Shouldn't they have some time on that by now?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by Tom A.
Just curious Matt,
What have you heard on the AMG Cigarette? That had the 1350 set up @ Miami. Shouldn't they have some time on that by now?
I've heard nothing. But like you I'm curious and will follow up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.