Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Jet Skis BANNED on Fire Island! - Your Tax Dollars at Work >

Jet Skis BANNED on Fire Island! - Your Tax Dollars at Work

Notices

Jet Skis BANNED on Fire Island! - Your Tax Dollars at Work

Old 04-25-2002, 07:05 AM
SunseekerNY

Angry Jet Skis BANNED on Fire Island! - Your Tax Dollars at Work

The National Parks Commision announced that all jet skis are now banned off the Fire Island National Sea Shore for one year while they conduct an environmental survey.......

These personal watercrafts cannot operate 1,000 feet out into the Atlantic and 1 1/2 miles into the Bay.

This could set precedent ladies and gentlemen, but then again, we won't have to worry about Fire Island too much longer (or the South Shore of Long Island all the way up to Sunrise Highway for that matter), because the Fire Island National Seashore won't let the Army Corps of Engineers dredge the inlet and fill in the erroding beaches either because the Piping Plover nest there, and they're an endangered species!

Just another example of YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK.

Old 04-25-2002, 07:48 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New York where laws are less lenient than nazi germany!!!

Quick, Run, Here comes the Nassua county gestapo!!!!

what really pisses me off (other than the cell phone ban) is how they blame it on the environment. "PWC are too loud and noisey and scare away birds" BULL****!!!!
Old 04-25-2002, 08:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Jennifer,
Sorry to hear about your situation, and you are correct, everyone should be WORRIED over what is happening!! I read that there was about a dozen other National Parks that got the same band!! Another classic case of Taxation/Legislation without representation!! Has anybody looked into the Piping Plover ESA listing, as far as, how it overall population growth #'s is doing? How Endangered is it? There have been many examples of late, showing that US GOV'T employed researchers are FALSIFING data to promote their "Green agenda"!! What do your local NY and US representives have to say about this? Try to get them involved. I went my first ever Political Fundraiser this past weekend, and it was very interesting.
Good Luck and if we Floridains, who are fighting a similiar battle over the Manatee issue, (AKA Coastal Development Restrictions by it true name), can help, let us know.
MD
Old 04-25-2002, 09:08 AM
SunseekerNY

Originally posted by Dean Ferry
Jennifer,
Sorry to hear about your situation, and you are correct, everyone should be WORRIED over what is happening!! I read that there was about a dozen other National Parks that got the same band!!
Sounds like a CONspriacy to me - ie, the circumnavigation of the checks and balances system put in place by our forefathers to prevent misuse of power!

Damn! I got blindsided with this one. Does anyone have any ideas how to rectify this situation with the National Parks Commission?

Jennifer

Old 04-25-2002, 09:14 AM
Registered

Jennifer,

If you need me and anyone else I can muster to write letters or e-mails etc. let me know. I will help in anyway possible! Thsi type of stuff is BULL**** and it HAS to STOP NOW!
Old 04-25-2002, 10:36 AM
supercrash

Apparently there are only 200 nesting pairs in New York...And there has been some trouble getting the numbers up over the decades....Soooooo.......Who's got a jet ski for sale...?...If you three got together and formed a team then you would only have to destroy 67 nests each.....Hell that could be done in a afternoon....

Old 04-25-2002, 11:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't find any population figures for New York but i did find a census count dated 1996 of 5,837 birds in the areas from the Great Lakes, Canada and the East coast down to North Carolina.
These birds were put on the endangered species list back in 1986.

I did find a census dated 2001 for the East coast. The states listed were Delaware, Virginia, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey and North Carolina. Nothing for New York. Total count was 794 pairs of birds or 1588 individual birds not counting eggs or hatchlings.

Last edited by Iggy; 04-25-2002 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:17 PM
Registered

Talking Jet Skis?

They could ban the friggin things ENTIRELY and I'd be happy,
as they seem to attract more than their fair share of wake-jumping can't afford a real powerboat A-HOLES who couldn't be bothered with actually learning how to operate them SAFELY.

Yes, I KNOW most of YOU obey the rules of the road whilst riding them, but the ones *I* run across would be better off on MOTORCYCLES, where they're killed off much easier.

Now that we've repealed the helmet laws down here
we need to get rid of that pesky seat belt law to appease
those that wanna get "thrown clear" of the acc...scuse me...
collision.

Sure would thin out the shallow end of the gene pool...

Old 04-25-2002, 12:24 PM
Registered

Sunseeeker,
is the whole island part of the national park, I spent a week there for the first time last summer nice but not great,I like LBI better, but don't the communities on the island belonng to NY?
can they ban pwc in the bay? NY state waters?
IF THEY CAN DO THIS POWERBOATS ARE NEXT!

Sunseeker any help I can be let me know,

Mattyboy
Old 04-25-2002, 12:29 PM
SunseekerNY

Originally posted by mattyboy
Sunseeeker,
is the whole island part of the national park,
Robert Moses State Park is on Fire Island, but it is not considered part of the National Seashore. However, it is a state park.

Jennifer

Quick Reply: Jet Skis BANNED on Fire Island! - Your Tax Dollars at Work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.