Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/229941-bobthebuilder-heading-back-islands-looking-new-adventure.html)

bowtye8 05-15-2010 09:34 PM

Have Fun Jay............Be good Now !!!!:party-smiley-004:

Bobthebuilder 05-15-2010 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by bowtye8 (Post 3111122)
Bob,
Been following along. Still cant get over the the pigs!
I Looked at the third pic were the pigs looked like 2 dogs swimming away.......... then I read your captions. Then relooked at the pics of the 2 pigs swimming towards the camera. Pigs!!!! Go figure
Sorry to hear about the problems...But still sounds like you all had a great time.
Will follow along on part 2.

Going on my first cruise next week. Carribean(Bahamas, St Thomes, St Maarten, Turks Caicos..Should be a great time in with beautiful ports!!!

Dennis

Dennis, let me know your schedule. That would be cool to bump into you in T & C or St Thomas. :)

jeff32 05-15-2010 10:35 PM

nice tread to follow !
Bob, do you thing most of the gas powered go fast boats could do the same run you are doing? or diesel engines are a must? how many gallons of fuel can you carry?

cookee 05-16-2010 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3108498)

My props are rated for 1200 HP and should not be breaking. I'm sure it is a combination of several factors and is costly and frustrating when it happens.

I've been following your thread from England, and summer hasn't started here yet! My question is are your props rated for 1200 Gas HP? If so I reckon that the difference is that running diesels puts a lot more stress on everything including the props?

Bon Voyage - Looking forward to seeing more photos and the GoPro footage!

Bobthebuilder 05-16-2010 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by cookee (Post 3111212)
I've been following your thread from England, and summer hasn't started here yet! My question is are your props rated for 1200 Gas HP? If so I reckon that the difference is that running diesels puts a lot more stress on everything including the props?

Bon Voyage - Looking forward to seeing more photos and the GoPro footage!

Thanks Cookee. The Yanmar diesel engines are putting out 1250 ft / lbs of torque. The center prop which is deeper in the water has never failed. All 3 prop failures have been either port or starboard side which are closer to the surface. I think there is a connection there.

Bobthebuilder 05-16-2010 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by jeff32 (Post 3111156)
nice tread to follow !
Bob, do you thing most of the gas powered go fast boats could do the same run you are doing? or diesel engines are a must? how many gallons of fuel can you carry?

Hello Jeff. Gas boats would get thru the Bahamas alright but only regular fuel available. The range on my previous NT was only 200 miles with a 400 gal tank. The leg from T & C to Dominican Republic is 190 miles so that would be close but could be done. Range on the diesel NT is 400 miles with the same 400 gal tank so lots of capacity and range there.

jayboat 05-16-2010 09:13 AM

Hey Bob, just wonderin...
did you have that guy make an extra hydraulic hose while he was at it?

:evilb:

jeff32 05-16-2010 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3111301)
Hello Jeff. Gas boats would get thru the Bahamas alright but only regular fuel available. The range on my previous NT was only 200 miles with a 400 gal tank. The leg from T & C to Dominican Republic is 190 miles so that would be close but could be done. Range on the diesel NT is 400 miles with the same 400 gal tank so lots of capacity and range there.

wow! twice the mileage with same tank ! We don't see this much of difference with our trucks on the road, from gas to diesel !

Bobthebuilder 05-16-2010 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by jeff32 (Post 3111369)
wow! twice the mileage with same tank ! We don't see this much of difference with our trucks on the road, from gas to diesel !

It's true. Double the mileage. My operating costs have fallen dramatically with the diesel. I now have 350 hrs on the diesel boat so just broke in while with my previous gas boat I would have already done a rebuild and be well on my way to the next one. The saving are huge. What I am sacrificing is a top end speed of 76 MPH vs 100 but can easily cruise at mid 60's all day long and that works for me. Can still run 70's in a poker run and finish in the middle of the pack and cannot think of one run I did not finish. :)

dammmagnum 05-16-2010 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3110494)
Tomorrow I will be confirming who will accompany me on the next leg of the journey. Hint .....lets just say the pictures will be awesome !!

That would be Jayboat. Jay can stay with me from Friday till sometime into the following week which should put us in the Islands. Hoping he can catch some great pics along the way.

Also thanks to all the well wishes and kind comments. Thanks as well to dammmagnum, cowisl, and Pete280 for their helpful tips.

Bob,

Good Day
Just glad that i can help ,,even in a small way
Maybe I can catch you one day on Marco
My Friend has a house on Marco right over the bridge.

Safe Trip and hope the waters are smooth for you
Have lots of friends in PR and the Fajardo area , if you need anything

Enjoy ,, Be safe

Thank you for Sharing with us all

Jim