Notices

testing new 5 blades

Old 04-28-2002, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey maximus, great post, very informative, I've tested alot of props, and found the bravo 30P to work best for me on my 32, but this was before the 5 blades were out. Free speed without digging into the motors is always a good thing!! My Hull runs really flat, and for me, I've found the best results with a prop that gave maximum bow lift. The hydromotives\4 blades wouldn't get me on plane at all, and when I finally did get on plane the top end was not as good for me. But every boat needs it's own fine tuning and testing. I need to lab mine, but we have very low water here and that is keeping me from doing it. Thanks for the info on bow lift and feel on the new 5 blades from both companys, it give's me more to think about. The herring sounds like a great prop, and The bow lift is encouraging. Do you have the new Merc electronic fuel and engine management system that displays in gallons as opposed to a simple fuel guage? I would have liked to see all tests done at the same fuel levels, but even without the apples to apples testing, the results seem to speak for themselves. Thanks again for this post.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Baja Boss , what size fountain does he have ?
Old 04-29-2002, 07:12 AM
Registered

Maximus -- now you will have to take time and answer everyone's questions. My 1st question is still the same as before. How and where did aquire a set pf Herring's to try. 2nd: I noticed that you went faster with Bravo 34's but slower out of the hole, is this the reason you didn't talk them up as much. I myself have tried even Merc Cleavers for the outboards on my cat and went the fastest, but for ever than a day out of the hole

Advantage_Rob Now that the Herring's got your attention...wait until you hear the price
I also have tried the Hydro's...up and down the ptich line with the help pf Tom at Hydro Motive. No luck with any of them
Old 04-29-2002, 09:03 AM
Registered

I know, they are up there, more for one than my two bravo's cost!! I was refering to my v-hull with the bravos working best. On my cat I tried a few and 30 x 14.5 3 blade merc lab cleavers are the one, as long as you're not in a hurry to get on plane, and work the sticks from blowing out, but top end is best there, and we all know that's where cats are king!!!
Old 04-29-2002, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default testing

Enticer- The manufacturer was testing a set for themselves and since my boat is just off the line and still being dialed in they allowed me to run them for test data. (we took very very good care of them)

As for the Bravo 1's they performed very well. they were a little weak getting on plane but I have a very high x-factor ( no fault of the prop). In fact performance wise th B1's were on par with the others at half (or less than that) the price.

Bottom line is Mercury builds a great product thats very hard to beat both price and performance wise. And that's good for us...the average HP boaters

Clackster- Hi Honey... your going to love your new mothers day presents!!!!!! sliiiiice!

Adv Rob. We also have shallow water here and that is my fear when buying a pair of props that cost almost $4000 . I'm always careful but....anything can happen (manatee). I found a little hairline somthing or other on my B1's... Merc replaced it no questions.

Never tried cleavers so I can't comment

I want to thank everyone who gave me advice and thoughts through this short round of testing. I sincerely appreciate it.

Maximus
Old 04-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Registered

FROM ME....you are quite welcome...although I did not have much to offer
YOU ARE THE ONE I am thanking....you took the time to take numbers and readings WHILE trying props. I did that on 3 sets of props that Bob Leach sent to me from Eliminator to try on my boat. It sounds nice until you try to take some time out to do it........it's a real pain in the ass. Especially trying to do readings and speed and temperature and all.....in the frickin river. 90+ mph does not leave much room for error.....but that is the closest water with out going to Lake Erie.
I feel you pain with (now 4750.00 for 2 props) the price Herring props
Thanks Again
Old 04-29-2002, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...........

.................gulp! $4750.

is it hot in here?

M