Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Don Aronow Memorial Marathon Race Around Long Island 9-18-10 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/230381-don-aronow-memorial-marathon-race-around-long-island-9-18-10-a.html)

Top Banana 05-15-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3110189)
i would do that one in the Tiger, not the 20 lol... bigger water might give me a chance because I top out in high 70's :D

Please note the average speeds on the list above. The best part of long open ocean racing is that you don't have to go 10/10ths all the time. You pick your spots and you use your head.

Many many races have been won by guys in the boats that are not quite the fastest, but knew how to think and use their navigation skills to the utmost.

Your boat would be ideal for both parts of the course....the inside of the sound on the Connecticut shore and then the open ocean areas on the southern part of the island.

offshoredrillin 05-15-2010 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Top Banana (Post 3110787)
Please note the average speeds on the list above. The best part of long open ocean racing is that you don't have to go 10/10ths all the time. You pick your spots and you use your head.

Many many races have been won by guys in the boats that are not quite the fastest, but knew how to think and use their navigation skills to the utmost.

Your boat would be ideal for both parts of the course....the inside of the sound on the Connecticut shore and then the open ocean areas on the southern part of the island.

I'm gonna hold you to that Charlie :D

Top Banana 05-17-2010 10:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3111111)
I'm gonna hold you to that Charlie :D

You can........look at these boats here...no great speed numbers, but they were always there at the end.

Billy Frenz 05-19-2010 10:54 AM

1st Entry into the "AROUND LONG ISLAND MARATHON"

JOHN RUGGIERI, The 'King of Long Island Sound', with the Trophy to prove it, has entered his 40' Activator V-Bottom, "WHITE LIGHTNING", powered by twin-turbocharged CHIEF Engines and #6 Merc speedmasters, into the Don Aronow Memorial Marathon Race Around Long Island.
The boat is capable of running 119 mph, but speed is not the only factor...navigation and endurance will play a big part in placing in this 271 mile event.
Guy LaMotta's Manhasset Bay Marina and Restaurant will host the event and many NPBA Hall of Famer's plan on attending and even competing once again.
Some of the past winners also will be attending...This will be the "OFFSHORE" PLACE TO BE for this Sept 18th event...and reactivate the Perpetual MANHASSET BAY GOLD CUP TROPHY
www.nationalpowerboat.com