Notices

Contender Record Attempt

Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Contender Record Attempt

A record breaking attempt to cross the atlantic from New York to Bermuda in a Condender CC is planned. They will be running triple 350 Yammies.

The current record is held by a 25 foot World cat that ran twin Merc four strokes. They left from New Hampshire to Bermuda in 29Hrs 19 Mins.

The record before that was in 1996 when a Glacier Bay cat with twin 40HP Honda's made it in 37 Hrs from Virginia to Bermuda.

Several attempts at this crossing have been made. I believe the latest was a 50 foot Couger cat with twin diesels and surface drives. If I remember correctly they ran out of fuel within a few miles of bermuda.

Gentry held the record up until 96. He crossed in his 100+ foot yacht with twin diesels and a turbine sitting between them. I can't remember the time but the Glacier bay crushed it.

Attempts like this in boats of this size really takes some big Kahunas. I've made a few crossings back and forth to Lauderdale in larger sportfish boats and got caught in weather that really makes you believe you're about to meet your maker. Pitch black, 15 foot cresting waves with the occasional 25 slamming the boat around 180 degrees. My hat goes off to these guys.

Here's the articles.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Artic...e&sectionId=60

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Artic...5&sectionId=60
Old 05-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TampaBeach
They better make it count, the Fountain fishing guys love bragging these type of records. Like the NC to NY run, and the Key west to Cancun.
They can't brag about KW to Cancun anymore!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:15 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TampaBeach
They better make it count, the Fountain fishing guys love bragging these type of records. Like the NC to NY run, and the Key west to Cancun.
The guys running this boat used to work for Fountain. Chuck was the NE Fountain rep for years.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by salesmanship
They can't brag about KW to Cancun anymore!
Reggie will try again you can take that to the bank. He doesn't like to lose.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Lauderdaleboats
A record breaking attempt to cross the atlantic from New York to Bermuda in a Condender CC is planned. They will be running triple 350 Yammies.

The current record is held by a 25 foot World cat that ran twin Merc four strokes. They left from New Hampshire to Bermuda in 29Hrs 19 Mins.

The record before that was in 1996 when a Glacier Bay cat with twin 40HP Honda's made it in 37 Hrs from Virginia to Bermuda.

Several attempts at this crossing have been made. I believe the latest was a 50 foot Couger cat with twin diesels and surface drives. If I remember correctly they ran out of fuel within a few miles of bermuda.

Gentry held the record up until 96. He crossed in his 100+ foot yacht with twin diesels and a turbine sitting between them. I can't remember the time but the Glacier bay crushed it.

Attempts like this in boats of this size really takes some big Kahunas. I've made a few crossings back and forth to Lauderdale in larger sportfish boats and got caught in weather that really makes you believe you're about to meet your maker. Pitch black, 15 foot cresting waves with the occasional 25 slamming the boat around 180 degrees. My hat goes off to these guys.

Here's the articles.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Artic...e&sectionId=60

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Artic...5&sectionId=60
Am I missing something here?? New Hanpshire and Virginia aren't even close? And arent Contenders the boats that are never designed to leave the water or they crack and void the warrenty?? Im soo confused, this whole internet boating thing makes my head spin.....
Old 05-16-2010, 12:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Reggie will try again you can take that to the bank. He doesn't like to lose.
Neither do I !! LOL I have been waiting for him to re claim it so we can take another run at it, as I feel we can do quite a bit better if we catch the right day. We will see.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Registered

The distances between New York, New Hapmshire and Viginia are prety close.

New York 772 Statute- 671 Nautical Miles
Richmond Virginia 805 Statute-699 Nautical
Concord New Hampshire 838 Statute- 728 Nautical

I believe the record is being based on a crossing from the USA east coast to Bermuda. Now if Reggie were to attempt this he would do the smart thing and start at the closest point. Guess what state that would be. NC.

I got theese distances from the below link. Not sure how many miles from the city to the coast.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distance.html
Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Am I missing something here?? New Hanpshire and Virginia aren't even close? And arent Contenders the boats that are never designed to leave the water or they crack and void the warrenty?? Im soo confused, this whole internet boating thing makes my head spin.....
By the looks of that guys boat(whoever made that website).......... I wouldn't step foot on one if it was on the trailer!!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 852 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
By the looks of that guys boat(whoever made that website).......... I wouldn't step foot on one if it was on the trailer!!
LOL...kinda thinking the same thing.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about 90 miles from Richmond to Norfolk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.