Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   See Your Boat In Poker Runs America Magazine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/23054-see-your-boat-poker-runs-america-magazine.html)

mediaman 04-26-2002 06:25 AM

See Your Boat In Poker Runs America Magazine

Each issue of Poker Runs America devotes several pages to readers' rides. Over the past five years, we've featured some of the top performance boats in the country - in living color! If you haven't yet seen your boat grace our pages, call 1-800-354-9145 or e-mail me ([email protected]) Please don't send e-mail photos - I need high-res running shots with boat name, length and model, power, and owner's name, home base and state - plus permission to publish if the picture was taken by a professional photographer.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CHARGE FOR THIS - IT'S OUR WAY OF THANKING OUR MANY READERS (AND, WE HOPE, FUTURE SUBSCRIBERS) FOR THEIR CONTINUED SUPPORT.

sAFE bOATING,
pETER tASLER

SunseekerNY 04-26-2002 07:13 AM

Peter,

Are you and Todd T. coming to the NYC Poker Run? Bring your son too.

Jennifer

mediaman 04-26-2002 07:40 AM

Top of the morning, my friend

What the heck are you doing up so early? I thought I was one of the few night owls/early ayem media types left on this planet. Always good to hear from you - and, I have to ask, is that really your photo? Yes, I have plans to attend my Frenz' run and likely Todd will be there as well. I don't know if my son Eric will be able to come, but I certainly do plan to spend several weeks this summer with him - come hell or high water!!! What's been happening in your life? Really enjoyed meeting your new beau at the Miami party - glad you both were able to fit it into what I knopw must have been a hectic schedule (as Miami boat show time always is).

My Best To Y'all (that's a Southern term my Carolina son learned me)

Peter

SunseekerNY 04-26-2002 07:55 AM

Dear Peter:

Yes that is my photo. I have about ten Avatars which I keep rotating.

Let me know when you are arriving in town and I'll catch up with you then - hopefully, before the chaos ensues at Pauli's marina at Chelsea Piers! There is an acute possibility that I might need a ride, so let's make a deal. Get me a ride, and I'll shoot the run for the magazine. (As you know it's always advantageous to have an additional photographer from another vantage point).

Oh, and I'd really like some advice on which digital SLR to purchase, when I see you (I especially need information on the speeds/aperatures on the longest hand-held lenses). The downtime from shooting on film, developing, scanning, editing, and uploading photos is really getting to be a pain, and that's the major reason I've slacked off in this area. That, and none of the digital cameras that I have looked at are fast enough as you ALREADY know. I'm spoiled for life or until technology can catch up with me! Actually, I'll quit making excuses. I've just become lazy in my old age. I hate lugging 50 pounds of photo equipment everywhere I go.

Best regards and happy boating!

Jennifer

PokerFace 04-26-2002 09:02 AM

Hey Peter,

How's it going? If you need another ride at Frenz's let me know....I always have room for one more....are you coming to Daytona? Find me in the pits if you need something. Are you going to Marathon? See ya soon.:) Barkley

mediaman 04-26-2002 09:09 AM

Actually, I think you're better looking in person but you are awesomely photogenic. Shoulda been an actress! Will try to hook you up with a ride. Any preferences, i.e. cat or Vee? Maybe, if you plan to shoot photos Billy's press boat is a more viable option? It's more than a bit difficult to shoot from a fast-forward speed boat. As far as digital goes, you should give Erica Levine a call at 410-453-6269. Ike and Erica - both good friends of mine - operate Unlimited Underwater Images, a photo house that excels in both race coverage and lots of high-brow assignments. They use digital cameras and, if you tell them I pointed you their way, I'm sure you'll get all the facts. My knowledge of digital cameras, unfortunately, is limited by one thought - if it costs less than a grand, it ain't worth it - especially whn it comes to glossy magazine reproduction.

PT

mediaman 04-26-2002 09:16 AM

Good to hear from you, Mr. B

I may take you up on the offer - s'long as you stop trying to bust my tail bone. Seriously, hope all is A-OK in your life? I'm trying to make arrangements to get to your neck of the woods for your main event in August. How far is it to your place from Columbia, South Carolina? Reason I ask is that's where my 8-yr-old son lives and I was figuring maybe I'd bring him along.

Be well, my speed demon friend
Peter

SunseekerNY 04-26-2002 09:51 AM

Originally posted by mediaman
Actually, I think you're better looking in person but you are awesomely photogenic. Shoulda been an actress! Will try to hook you up with a ride. Any preferences, i.e. cat or Vee? Maybe, if you plan to shoot photos Billy's press boat is a more viable option? It's more than a bit difficult to shoot from a fast-forward speed boat. As far as digital goes, you should give Erica Levine a call at 410-453-6269. Ike and Erica - both good friends of mine - operate Unlimited Underwater Images, a photo house that excels in both race coverage and lots of high-brow assignments. They use digital cameras and, if you tell them I pointed you their way, I'm sure you'll get all the facts. My knowledge of digital cameras, unfortunately, is limited by one thought - if it costs less than a grand, it ain't worth it - especially whn it comes to glossy magazine reproduction.

PT

Thanks for the compliment. I studied Shakespearan acting in college for three years..... fun.

I know Ike and Ericka. I will give them a call.

I agree with the under a grand remark. I was looking at the Nikon D4 at the tech expo in NY last year. That camera with all the goodies ( i.e., every thing I need) was about 5 grand. The convertible-bounce, adjustable zoom, high-power flash was $500 alone and absolutely essential.

Thanks, and I really look forward to seeing you.

Jennifer