Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2000 32 Skater (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/23063-2000-32-skater.html)

Nauti Kitty 04-28-2002 11:25 PM

Phillip I am having a new classic with twin 300's rigged right now. Did you have trim tabs installed? I have been told by several knowledgeable people to not bother. I wondered if it was a problem when it's rough? NK:D

Semper Fi 04-29-2002 04:42 AM

Hey guys,
I can't take anything away from a Skater, they are awesome, and I'm not starting any **** here, just giving some info. Have you seen DCB's new Mach 34?? I saw it in Havasu this weekend ( twinn Teague 1,000's) at the Poker Run and it is absolutely gorgeous!! Dave said they saw 148MPH on GPS. It ran 2nd in the Poker Run (behind a 40' Skater with bigger power) the whole way. It was only about 4 boat lengths behind the Skater. I am a V-bottom guy (okay layoff!!!) but this DCB was really bad ass looking, and I really couldn't stop thinking about this boat. Looked awesome running also. The pictures actually don't do this boat justice. In the water, it looks soooo sweeeet!! Good luck with whatever you buy.

Philip 04-29-2002 09:55 AM

NautiKitty:
We don’t have trim tabs, this boat does not need them. No center tab either. Tabs are a waste of time and money. A trip boat might make better use of tabs, there is a lot more weight on the back.The balance of the boat makes it fly straight and level. Who is rigging it? The engine centerline, (prop shaft) setback and height are very important. Is it a re-rig or is it a new boat? I would strongly suggest closing off the rear deck section at the transom. With the setbacks you still have to watch how high you trim up the motors so you don’t hit the rear of the hatches. We have 6” set back jack plates (manual) and I might suggest going back a little further. Maybe 9”. This boat really reacts to trim. Are you running X's or Pro Max's? This boat seems to run best with 14.5x 32” Merc Lab Cleavers, Spinning “out” . The 30” cleavers are also very good. Better mid range, maybe 1 or 2 MPH slower on top, but very good.
For a twin engine 32’ cat, this boat runs well. E-mail me if you have any questions, I will try to help.
Philip

Nauti Kitty 04-29-2002 11:56 PM

Phillip Thanks for the input. The boat is new and is being rigged by the Cat Can Do guys at ck motorsports with a few suggestions from John Tomlinson at TNT. The main guy at ck rigged at skater for 15 years so I feel pretty comfy, besides skater is 15 minutes away. I went with 300 pro max's and I'm looking forward to letting her rip. What kind of speed do you see? Let me know NK:rolleyes:

Philip 05-01-2002 01:21 PM

Hi NautiKitty
Good choice, the rigging should come out great. Have you talked about setbacks and engine height? This is a full size 32’ cat, and with only (2) motors you are asking for 660 HP to do a lot. I feel that the set up on these boats is where the speed comes from. Big boat, not a lot of HP. Our set up is pretty conservative, 15 #s water pressure at WOT This boat pops up on plane with 5 people and full fuel with no problem. The higher you go with the motors the more the boat will struggle to get up on plane. The last bit of speed will come out of engine trim also. This boat is pretty trim sensitive, and you have to fly the boat for the last few MPH,s. Again, not a lot of HP. With 4 people and ½ fuel the boat will run right around 100-102. Low on fuel, (2) people, I have seen 105-108. These speeds come from a Gaffrig analog GPS, BTW don’t use a liquid filled speedo, use the GPS. The design of the last step on the sponson makes keeping a pitot tube on very hard. Run neutral trim or a little positive and this hull can handle some pretty big water.