Notices

advice on first go fast boat

Old 05-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

You can't go wrong with this boat:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o27485-en.html

It's build quality is legendary, a derivative of the 33' hull which handles chop beautifully. You want tough and high quality for Lake Erie and this is a steal at this price.

The owner bought my 33' and he maintains his boats meticulously.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea the 29 Scarab would be a good one to look at also.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
You can't go wrong with this boat:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o27485-en.html

It's build quality is legendary, a derivative of the 33' hull which handles chop beautifully. You want tough and high quality for Lake Erie and this is a steal at this price.

The owner bought my 33' and he maintains his boats meticulously.
whAt he said

lake erie is not a lake its an inland ocean... less than 28ft doesnt cut it if u wanna boat every weekend or go long distances
Old 05-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

On a nice day in lake Erie a 25 isn't bad, the first time it turns to chit (probably the second or third island trip) its going to eat your lunch. I would go a little older and a little longer, there are a lot of 30'+ scarabs etc running around.. this one looks nice as an example.. *not my boat..not selling boat...just a good example*

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/class...age=out&id=389

Lake Erie can go from nice to all hells breaking loose in 20 minutes, the more boat you have under you the happier you will be.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:11 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Where do you boat?
What do you plan to do with the boat?

I know of a 25AT with an HP500 for $30K in PA.
x2 that boat is very nice looking that should be one to look at for sure. Sydways has the info as do I. If you are not into the AT then I would look at Checkmate. I have a 253 that I got a great deal on and have been very happy with so far. The fit and fisnish is not that of the AT but it is wider and has a little more room in the cabin and cockpit.

I was looking for a long time for just what you are looking for and what I found was each boat rides different Velocity's have a pad and need power to ride on top on the pad. That being said the pad makes it a drivers boat and taking a wake the wrong way can hurt (you) but those who know how to drive the Velocity make them glide over the chop. Sonics are heavy but ride nice in rough stuff. The AT is light and glances off the chop real nice and is very forgiving. My Checkmate rides lighter than a Sonic and heavier than the AT.

Disclaimer:**Statements above are my opinion only and not to be taken by anyone in an offesive way all boats mentioned are nice boats**
Old 05-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Registered

Take a long hard look at the 25 A.T. perfect for what you are looking for and they seem to hold some good value.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o34216-en.html
Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Registered

Im in a similar situation. Ive boated ever since I can remember, using my parents crownline all the time, but Im looking at buying MY first boat. Found a local used 27 Fountain thats in the mid 20's and is built better than my parents new crownline. Its in awsome shape. We also boat with quite a few people who have older big boats instead of smaller new ones. There's somthing to be said for having a brand new boat under warranty but not all of us have that kinda $. Like others have said, some older boats were built much better anyway.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Lake Erie can go from nice to all hells breaking loose in 20 minutes, the more boat you have under you the happier you will be.
I don't think it takes that long........ Up until this year I ran across Erie in a Baja 250 Force. It handled Erie well on a good day. I have riden in a friends Outlaw 24' and a new Outlaw 25'. I have to say honestly my Velocity 260 puts them to shame in the ride/comfort department. Velocity 260s & 280s can be had in the $30k range if you shop right. They are fast too. With a 496 mag (stock) the 260 can reach low 70s. I have been very impressed with the options and configuration of the Velocity as well.

I have heard that the pad bottom on a Velocity makes it a "drivers boat" and that they can take some getting used to. I have to say I have found the Velocity 260 very easy to drive, however I am an experienced boater with close to 20 years experience.

Last edited by low_psi; 05-18-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of all the boats mentioned the twin engine Pantera 28 is at the top with the Powerplay #2. Both are rough water boats with proven race hulls. On Lake Erie you'll need all the boat you can get and those two provide that.

Just my .02

[Active Thunder as well if you can find a 28].

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.