advice on first go fast boat

Notices

advice on first go fast boat

Old 05-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Ran-Dom 32;3116364]
Originally Posted by Sick Stinger
Ran sorry about that. I did miss read it my fault. As for the paint M.T, get some serios cash for a paint job from what im told. I know Strip Poker just had the 388 painted said it wasnt cheap but spot on to what he wanted.
a bit OT
Mitcher T was the best person I have ever dealt with in the marine industry, I set my budget, & he told me up front what he could do for x amount, showed me a rendering & the boat was done on time as promised, I would definitely recommend him.
http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/a...n.jpg&newest=1

this was a 6k job

6k for a hull and deck with graphics paint job? Thats nothing short of amazing.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Loving that Cig SS though. I came real close to doing one of those once. Really cool boats. That is a DEAL.

I am considering something like that or a classic Magnum for my next project. Wow the thought of having an SS or Magnum tied up on one side of my 60' Chris Roamer and my 1973 X-18 Donzi tied up on the other.....way cool.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Am I sure the original crew isnt there now? Not specifically. You seem to be well informed - are they? has this crew been around 10-20 years?

With as many boats as they have made they have a large following- Im not debating that. Im saying that I think the owners of Pantera will be easier to deal with and that he would be part of a very close knit family.

As far as Donzi is concerned- somethings going on over there thats really not good.

I am sure that this guy ordered a new 27 and not only couldn't get delivery of it, but Donzi lied to him repeatedly about the production schedule.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...i-27zr-12.html

I doubt the Nunez crew would have treated him like Donzi did.
Im not saying Donzi makes a bad boat, I think they make a fine craft- but the current guys running it arent straight shooters - at least with this guy.

Note Im not here pimping my own pet brand.

I think the poster is showing good judgement by taking it easy although after a short time he'll want more boat length.

I stand by my recommendation.

Uncle Dave
Yes Dave, I know the story and and also know a little something about the ZX.

That story when Donzi was on the fritz like many other boat companies. It is a bad story and I am sure that they are not happy either. They have funding now and have shifted to more of a custom plan. They are even helping folks get info on older Donzi's.

I do like Panteras too. Well built and great looks. I would own one.

No let me ask you one more time......are you SURE none of the original ZX guys are not at Donzi anymore? Are you SURE that the current owners were the owners when the ZR story came out?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi

No let me ask you one more time......are you SURE none of the original ZX guys are not at Donzi anymore? Are you SURE that the current owners were the owners when the ZR story came out?
I used the word "likely"-why are you asking if Im sure?

- are you sure?

You seem to have the inside track here as a Donzi guy- are they? Are they the same guys that lied to andy?

I have no dog in this fight. Ive never owned a Pantera, Donzi, or Scarab.

(when people say Scarab they probably mean by Wellcraft I was in a Wellcraft that had the seats rip out of their base in a turn-I cant recommend Wellcraft to the poster)

However - when it comes to Pantera the owners of this brand have nothing but praise for their relationship with this builder, and Ive seen these boats take a pounding.

My builder is kind of the West Coast version of Pantera, family owned and long lived, but Im not here to pimp my pet company.

The point behind my original recommendation between the three boats is that if possible, its good to be connected with the actual guys that built the boat you intend to buy. Buying a Pantera guarantees this connection. I know the Nunez family will know how a particular boat was constructed and have sound advice on basic work and be able to speak to the effectiveness of any mods to it.

Uncle Dave
Old 05-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- are you sure?

You seem to have the inside track here as a Donzi guy- are they? Are they the same guys that lied to andy?

(when people say Scarab they probably mean by Wellcraft I was in a Wellcraft that had the seats rip out of their base in a turn-I cant recommend Wellcraft to the poster)

However - when it comes to Pantera the owners of this brand have nothing but praise for their relationship with this builder, and Ive seen these boats take a pounding.

My builder is kind of the West Coast version of Pantera, family owned and long lived, but Im not here to pimp my pet company.

The point behind my original recommendation between the three boats is that if possible, its good to be connected with the actual guys that built the boat you intend to buy. Buying a Pantera guarantees this connection. I know the Nunez family will know how a particular boat was constructed and have sound advice on basic work and be able to speak to the effectiveness of any mods to it.

Uncle Dave
I completely understood what you meant, you clearly weren't ripping Donzi. The number of boats built by Pantera vs Donzi automatically increases the odds of the builder knowing the boat. Donzi is a production boat, a Pantera a custom ordered ride.

Also, since you don't want to show as a Lavey fanboy, I'll recommend them for you. A Lavey would be a great choice as well in these size ranges.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:13 PM
Registered

I always thought Donzi was a cool Rig,
They seem like 1/2 custom/ Production.
Neat tooling and interiors.

Thanks RLJ!
I never try to switch coasts on guys-then you get into the whole....

gel-coat vs. paint
swim step mold in vs bolt on-
windshield mold in vs bolts on discussions- but Lavey makes a nice product to consider as well, and offers a personal relationship with the builders.

There was a really cool guy here named Spillman that had an Active Thunder 25 that was enormous for its length & twin small blocks it was a really neat ride. Id kill to have that as a first ride.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 05-31-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling grammar
Old 05-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say a 24 Pantera or a 25 Outlaw would be my choices because you can get a decent one for that money. Most of the big old boats in this price range, although they may be nice, are not for a beginner. Also, there is a reason why old boats with big power are so cheap....the guys who can afford to fix them buy stuff that doesnt break as much and the guys who can afford to buy them often cant afford to run/fix them.

The 24 Pantera and the 25 Outlaw both have the 'look' and there is an exit strategy that wont get you caught under an albatross as a first ride.

Buy one with stock power or fairly stock power. Do a leakdown test and check out the exhaust for leaks. Get a survey done. See the boat in person and if possible run it with the guy. If that isnt possible at least hear it run on the hose for a couple of minutes.

Enjoy the process and be prepared to spend a bunch of money that you will never get back over the entire ownership of the boat.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:36 PM
Registered

- are you sure?

Uncle Dave
It is best to stick to the facts instead of saying what you think is likely. Facts are facts, all else is speculation. In this case you speculated and are wrong.

First of all, Lee Kimmel the prior CEO is no longer with Donzi. No slam against him as he helped me with an old Donzi once. A number of the good guys are still around.

Secondly, Donzi has emerged with a new business plan to be more of a custom builder. Yes, they did have some unfortunate events happen during the interim. This is what happened to Andy. Andy did get jerked around but in the end has a much better Donzi as a result. New plan with a combination of new and old people.

Thirdly, Donzi has a HUGE following. This ranges from classic build in the 60's to now. I restored a 1973 X-18. I was amazed what kind of stuff people were able to dig up for me from the old days. I also own a ZX.

Once again, I have heard nothing but good things about Pantera or your Lavey (not that you could do one for the mentioned price). I think that a number of boats mentioned here would make good candidates. I think that in today's troubled times you are doing nothing but bad for the industry by making incorrect comments about a boat manufacturer. You seem to be a smart guy that has owned some neat stuff. I would think that you want to be correct in your statements.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
It is best to stick to the facts instead of saying what you think is likely. Facts are facts, all else is speculation. In this case you speculated and are wrong.

First of all, Lee Kimmel the prior CEO is no longer with Donzi. No slam against him as he helped me with an old Donzi once. A number of the good guys are still around.

Secondly, Donzi has emerged with a new business plan to be more of a custom builder. Yes, they did have some unfortunate events happen during the interim. This is what happened to Andy. Andy did get jerked around but in the end has a much better Donzi as a result. New plan with a combination of new and old people.

Thirdly, Donzi has a HUGE following. This ranges from classic build in the 60's to now. I restored a 1973 X-18. I was amazed what kind of stuff people were able to dig up for me from the old days. I also own a ZX.

Once again, I have heard nothing but good things about Pantera or your Lavey (not that you could do one for the mentioned price). I think that a number of boats mentioned here would make good candidates. I think that in today's troubled times you are doing nothing but bad for the industry by making incorrect comments about a boat manufacturer. You seem to be a smart guy that has owned some neat stuff. I would think that you want to be correct in your statements.

I continue to support the industry with my wallet & my posts and would put up my actual level of spending against anyones, so the personal attack on my support for our industry is just out of line

Ill sleep at night in regards to my "sins" against Donzi here.
which is nothing more than pointing out somethings going on and questioning whos around. I think donzi needs to answer to this kind of stuff- not their clients/ user base.

I appreciate knowing whats going on at Donzi.

Now that you have spoken for them we can all know.

That said- I still say that the poster would be better off with a Pantera out of the three mentioned in the thread I responded to.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 05-31-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Registered

I continue to support the industry with my wallet & my posts and would put up my actual level of spending against anyones, so the personal attack on my support for our industry is just out of line

Ill sleep at night in regards to my "sins" against Donzi here.
which is nothing more than pointing out somethings going on and questioning whos around. I think donzi needs to answer to this kind of stuff- not their clients/ user base.

I appreciate knowing whats going on at Donzi.

Now that you have spoken for them we can all know.

That said- I still say that the poster would be better off with a Pantera out of the three mentioned in the thread I responded to.

Uncle Dave
I did not need to speak for Donzi. It is called a press release. They did it a good while back.

I support the performance boat and boat industry quite well also. To the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars in the last three years.

I think that it is great that you can recommend a boat you have never owned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.