Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   advice on first go fast boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/230693-advice-first-go-fast-boat.html)

Uncle Dave 05-31-2010 01:13 PM

I always thought Donzi was a cool Rig,
They seem like 1/2 custom/ Production.
Neat tooling and interiors.

Thanks RLJ!
I never try to switch coasts on guys-then you get into the whole....

gel-coat vs. paint
swim step mold in vs bolt on-
windshield mold in vs bolts on discussions- but Lavey makes a nice product to consider as well, and offers a personal relationship with the builders.

There was a really cool guy here named Spillman that had an Active Thunder 25 that was enormous for its length & twin small blocks it was a really neat ride. Id kill to have that as a first ride.

Uncle Dave

ar15meister 05-31-2010 01:25 PM

I would say a 24 Pantera or a 25 Outlaw would be my choices because you can get a decent one for that money. Most of the big old boats in this price range, although they may be nice, are not for a beginner. Also, there is a reason why old boats with big power are so cheap....the guys who can afford to fix them buy stuff that doesnt break as much and the guys who can afford to buy them often cant afford to run/fix them.

The 24 Pantera and the 25 Outlaw both have the 'look' and there is an exit strategy that wont get you caught under an albatross as a first ride.

Buy one with stock power or fairly stock power. Do a leakdown test and check out the exhaust for leaks. Get a survey done. See the boat in person and if possible run it with the guy. If that isnt possible at least hear it run on the hose for a couple of minutes.

Enjoy the process and be prepared to spend a bunch of money that you will never get back over the entire ownership of the boat.

ZXXX Donzi 05-31-2010 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3123580)
I used the word "likely"-why are you asking if Im sure?

- are you sure?

You seem to have the inside track here as a Donzi guy- are they? Are they the same guys that lied to andy?

I have no dog in this fight. Ive never owned a Pantera, Donzi, or Scarab.

(when people say Scarab they probably mean by Wellcraft I was in a Wellcraft that had the seats rip out of their base in a turn-I cant recommend Wellcraft to the poster)

However - when it comes to Pantera the owners of this brand have nothing but praise for their relationship with this builder, and Ive seen these boats take a pounding.

My builder is kind of the West Coast version of Pantera, family owned and long lived, but Im not here to pimp my pet company.

The point behind my original recommendation between the three boats is that if possible, its good to be connected with the actual guys that built the boat you intend to buy. Buying a Pantera guarantees this connection. I know the Nunez family will know how a particular boat was constructed and have sound advice on basic work and be able to speak to the effectiveness of any mods to it.

Uncle Dave

It is best to stick to the facts instead of saying what you think is likely. Facts are facts, all else is speculation. In this case you speculated and are wrong.

First of all, Lee Kimmel the prior CEO is no longer with Donzi. No slam against him as he helped me with an old Donzi once. A number of the good guys are still around.

Secondly, Donzi has emerged with a new business plan to be more of a custom builder. Yes, they did have some unfortunate events happen during the interim. This is what happened to Andy. Andy did get jerked around but in the end has a much better Donzi as a result. New plan with a combination of new and old people.

Thirdly, Donzi has a HUGE following. This ranges from classic build in the 60's to now. I restored a 1973 X-18. I was amazed what kind of stuff people were able to dig up for me from the old days. I also own a ZX.

Once again, I have heard nothing but good things about Pantera or your Lavey (not that you could do one for the mentioned price). I think that a number of boats mentioned here would make good candidates. I think that in today's troubled times you are doing nothing but bad for the industry by making incorrect comments about a boat manufacturer. You seem to be a smart guy that has owned some neat stuff. I would think that you want to be correct in your statements.

Uncle Dave 05-31-2010 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi (Post 3123615)
It is best to stick to the facts instead of saying what you think is likely. Facts are facts, all else is speculation. In this case you speculated and are wrong.

First of all, Lee Kimmel the prior CEO is no longer with Donzi. No slam against him as he helped me with an old Donzi once. A number of the good guys are still around.

Secondly, Donzi has emerged with a new business plan to be more of a custom builder. Yes, they did have some unfortunate events happen during the interim. This is what happened to Andy. Andy did get jerked around but in the end has a much better Donzi as a result. New plan with a combination of new and old people.

Thirdly, Donzi has a HUGE following. This ranges from classic build in the 60's to now. I restored a 1973 X-18. I was amazed what kind of stuff people were able to dig up for me from the old days. I also own a ZX.

Once again, I have heard nothing but good things about Pantera or your Lavey (not that you could do one for the mentioned price). I think that a number of boats mentioned here would make good candidates. I think that in today's troubled times you are doing nothing but bad for the industry by making incorrect comments about a boat manufacturer. You seem to be a smart guy that has owned some neat stuff. I would think that you want to be correct in your statements.

I continue to support the industry with my wallet & my posts and would put up my actual level of spending against anyones, so the personal attack on my support for our industry is just out of line

Ill sleep at night in regards to my "sins" against Donzi here.
which is nothing more than pointing out somethings going on and questioning whos around. I think donzi needs to answer to this kind of stuff- not their clients/ user base.

I appreciate knowing whats going on at Donzi.

Now that you have spoken for them we can all know.

That said- I still say that the poster would be better off with a Pantera out of the three mentioned in the thread I responded to.

Uncle Dave

ZXXX Donzi 05-31-2010 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3123628)
I continue to support the industry with my wallet & my posts and would put up my actual level of spending against anyones, so the personal attack on my support for our industry is just out of line

Ill sleep at night in regards to my "sins" against Donzi here.
which is nothing more than pointing out somethings going on and questioning whos around. I think donzi needs to answer to this kind of stuff- not their clients/ user base.

I appreciate knowing whats going on at Donzi.

Now that you have spoken for them we can all know.

That said- I still say that the poster would be better off with a Pantera out of the three mentioned in the thread I responded to.

Uncle Dave

I did not need to speak for Donzi. It is called a press release. They did it a good while back.

I support the performance boat and boat industry quite well also. To the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars in the last three years.

I think that it is great that you can recommend a boat you have never owned.

Steve 1 05-31-2010 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer (Post 3123499)
NEVER has one louver come out

Dude just messing with you,when we were young that 27 Magnum and 28 Cigarette were the baddest boats around in sheer cool.

kilrbusa 05-31-2010 02:27 PM

...do yourself a favor and get a single engine---you dont wanna waste the $$ on extra fuel, the weight and the maintance expense is not worth the added length for you. i am speaking from my expirence ...i woke on up onthe wrong side of the bed and bought a 24outlaw(i love it) and then 2.5 years later i bought a 100mph hustler 344 ...if i could do it over again i would of bought a 30ft single motor boat!!! Needless to say i still have the 24Outlaw bc i loved it so much--i am putting a new motor in it now and then it will be for sale for $20k --if i dont sell it i would be just as happy!!!

Uncle Dave 05-31-2010 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi (Post 3123638)
I did not need to speak for Donzi. It is called a press release. They did it a good while back.

I support the performance boat and boat industry quite well also. To the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars in the last three years.

I think that it is great that you can recommend a boat you have never owned.

As for the PR - As long as Andy is happy, and the potential buyer can direct line his builders - all is well. When that line goes away, a used purchase becomes more difficult.

On the money - You and I both- it hurts sometimes..........

On recommending a boat you have never owned- its tricky.

If I spent 3 weekends on something, or one was in my camp- I could say I know it, but I wouldnt say I owned one like some other guys.

Ive been super lucky. I have been in many boat regattas and once sold Marine electronics for a living. This plus having a house in PArker AZ for a decade has allowed me to experience a huge amount of boats for anyone much less someone my tender young age (43 old fart)

Uncle Dave

ZXXX Donzi 05-31-2010 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3123644)
As for the PR - As long as Andy is happy, and the potential buyer can direct line his builders - all is well. When that line goes away, a used purchase becomes more difficult.

On the money - You and I both- it hurts sometimes..........

On recommending a boat you have never owned- its tricky.

If I spent 3 weekends on something, or one was in my camp- I could say I know it, but I wouldnt say I owned one like some other guys.

Ive been super lucky. I have been in many boat regattas and once sold Marine electronics for a living. This plus having a house in PArker AZ for a decade has allowed me to experience a huge amount of boats for anyone much less someone my tender young age (43 old fart)

Uncle Dave

For the record, I think that a 28' Pantera is a better offshore boat than a 28 Donzi ZX. And no, I have not owned one either but an relying on the experience of some of my Donzi friends. Yes, it is tricky.

They are not quite apples and oranges. Yes, the Pantera is more of a custom boat and the Donzi is about 1/2 1/2. I almost did a Pantera for my last project but went for speed since I live inland. You can still run some decent water in a Donzi ZX though.

If you can pull off a Pantera for that kind of price and want a tough rough water boat....you will not go wrong. Bang for the buck you will not go wrong with a ZX.

What would I do? Well I have done the 100 mph thing now so I would do the Cig. If that checks out, it is the deal. You will not set any speed records but it is tough and has the wow factor. Classic looking boats always win at the dock. I can't tell you how many people have said "I think that your bigger Donzi is cool but that little Classic is much neater."

As if anyone can't tell I want to do an old classic 28 project pretty bad but like you have been a nice spender over the last three years. Maybe in three years from now.:party-smiley-004:

Uncle Dave 05-31-2010 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi (Post 3123648)
Classic looking boats always win at the dock. I can't tell you how many people have said "I think that your bigger Donzi is cool but that little Classic is much neater."

As if anyone can't tell I want to do an old classic 28 project pretty bad but like you have been a nice spender over the last three years. Maybe in three years from now.:party-smiley-004:

There isn't much about the Donzi lineage that isn't cool starting with the man Don himself. If in my rants I sounded disrepectful or unappreciative of the "founders"- no way.

The "little" one is cool, always has been- the classic little muscle boat.

I for one am a fan of smaller boats- and come back from a time when 21ft was big and 18 was "regular sized".

The newer ones 27's etc, I dont know much about but would be interested in knowing the details of.

I have a "big one and a small one as well" I have a "27" and a 20.8 Mod VP tunnel from Lavey with a wicked 406 in it.

The little one and big ones have vastly different personalties.

I say go for the resto!
Just remember you can always sleep in your boat but you cant waterski behind a house...

........and to the poster- buy a boat- its the last unlimited thing we have as guys. Motocycles kill you, cars get you thrown in jail, but fast boats for the most part- just cost you money.

Uncle Dave