Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Been feeling a little BLUE lately........can you tell why? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/230775-been-feeling-little-blue-lately-can-you-tell-why.html)

FuelinAround 05-19-2010 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 3114352)
Chris's engine can hold it's own. It will look much cooler than it did once it is sporting a blower.
What are you looking for? Complete pullouts? Long blocks? 502 Mag, 500 efi, 500 hp carb?????
Let me know and I will see what I can come up with. I have a pair of 525's with 3.3 Whipples. They would look good in your bilge.:drink:

LOL I'm only 25 not one of these 45 year old guys making 500k. Right now I just have some stock 454's. I know in the next year or so I will be ready for a rebuild but have been told right now I could probably sell both my motors for around 6 grand, and get into a set of stock 502's/500's at a decent price instead of just rebuilding these old 454's. Honestly I am not educated much on the difference between the 502 mags, 500 efi and the 500 hp carbs. I am looking for something with a little more power to get my close to 80's and better fuel economy. Also I would imagine I am better off buying complete pullout motors versus buying one without accessories. Everyone has told me that these old 454's guzzle gas and I could get in some newer motors with more HP and fuel economy would improve also. I just totally rebuilt both drives from top to bottom. Also replaced all shifter, throttle, and steering cables from front to back. I am attempting to get everything else up to par before dropping in the big power. Once I have an estimate on what it would cost me to get into these new motors I could have a better time line of when I would be willing to purchase. I like to pay cash for things not have debt. I would really appreciate any words of advice Eddie and would like to deal with you on this if at all possible.

McGary911 05-19-2010 03:06 PM

5 sweet motors...Hmmmm. Gonna be one heck of a 50' quad engined cat with the world's baddest bow thruster?

mean streak 05-19-2010 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 3113799)
Blue seems to be the color of the week. It's a good thing I put serial numbers on every engine. I'm having trouble telling them apart without looking at the numbers.:drink:

Gonna have two more blue ones in there in September after Lake Cumberland Poker Run

Young Performance 05-19-2010 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by kyboy1020 (Post 3114379)
LOL I'm only 25 not one of these 45 year old guys making 500k. Right now I just have some stock 454's. I know in the next year or so I will be ready for a rebuild but have been told right now I could probably sell both my motors for around 6 grand, and get into a set of stock 502's/500's at a decent price instead of just rebuilding these old 454's. Honestly I am not educated much on the difference between the 502 mags, 500 efi and the 500 hp carbs. I am looking for something with a little more power to get my close to 80's and better fuel economy. Also I would imagine I am better off buying complete pullout motors versus buying one without accessories. Everyone has told me that these old 454's guzzle gas and I could get in some newer motors with more HP and fuel economy would improve also. I just totally rebuilt both drives from top to bottom. Also replaced all shifter, throttle, and steering cables from front to back. I am attempting to get everything else up to par before dropping in the big power. Once I have an estimate on what it would cost me to get into these new motors I could have a better time line of when I would be willing to purchase. I like to pay cash for things not have debt. I would really appreciate any words of advice Eddie and would like to deal with you on this if at all possible.

You are correct that you can sell your current engines as they sit and get some decent money. They are an excellent upgrade for someone with older worn out carb engines. The 500hp carb and 500 efi are essentially the same engines....one has a single plane intake and 830 Holley carb and the other is efi. They are both 502's and both make 470 hp at the prop (or supposed to). The 502 Mag is only 415 hp. It does not have as good of parts as the other 2.It is a GM long block that was accessorized by Merc. The 500 hp and 500 efi are both hand built by Merc Racing. Those 2 are all but indestructable.
I think a good option would be to find a pair of 500 hp, assuming you don't mind carb engines. They are really easy to modify, they aren't very expensive and are easy to find. There are tons of them out there. The 500 efi is an excellent engine as well. You can modify them a little without a ton of money, but to make any substantial gains, the money starts to add up. The intake is it's crutch. You also have programming to tend to. The 502 Mag has the same problem, not to mention it doesn't have roller rockers, etc.
Give me a shout sometime and I would be glad to talk more with you to help you go in the right direction. You can reach me anytime. 615-216-7449 shop or 504-416-3607 cell. Thanks
Eddie

Young Performance 05-19-2010 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by mean streak (Post 3114932)
Gonna have two more blue ones in there in September after Lake Cumberland Poker Run

We've been saying that for 3 years now:lolhit:

Young Performance 05-19-2010 11:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more goodies for them. It was like Christmas morning.
Eddie

Coolerman 05-19-2010 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 3114943)
Here are a few more goodies for them. It was like Christmas morning.
Eddie

nice! :D

thunderusone 05-20-2010 01:06 PM

When can you get me in the paint booth? You know how ironic it is on how well that will match the current project? It will also go nicely with my ballz.

Young Performance 05-20-2010 01:33 PM

You just missed the spray-a-thon. There was blue paint flying everywhere. If you would stop dragging your feet and going backwards, it would have been done. Just keep checking for left over parts.:lolhit:
We need more paint. I burned up 1 1/2 gallons in the last week or so.
Eddie

SkiDoc 05-20-2010 01:54 PM

KYboy 1020 Take a look at my Teague 575's. They are at Eddie's shop right now on stands. I'll make you a deal on them! Not much more than you can get for yours. Eric