Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Nordskog GPS speedo. "Awsome" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/23135-nordskog-gps-speedo-awsome.html)

MIKEHTMSR24 05-30-2002 07:38 PM

WELL EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME

OK Barry let's do the math. 88.5 - 87.9 = what. :D :D
What I would like to see:
A dip switch to leave out the knots if wanted.
Go from mph to rpm to compass and then to volts.

Barry we are a very close match:)
Digital speedo's are the only way to go. You can find that perfect sweet spot for trim at any speed.

MnFastBoat 05-31-2002 03:18 AM

Just received my digital speedo in the mail on wed :)
Looking at installing it on Sat morning
can anyone give any pointers? did you connect the hot(red) wire to hte ignition switch like they say?
Also does the receiver always get power? when my battery switch gets turned off ALL power is disconnected at the main fuse panel. Is this ok? or does the receiver need constant power to maintain satellite reception?

Thanks.
Almost afraid at what the readings will be :(
might be slower then I want it to be :)
It is nice not have the wter speedo work now. I just tell people what it has had for a best run :)

Cattitude 05-31-2002 07:47 AM

Install tips

How's it going MNFB?

I spoke with Patrick at Norskog yesterday. He assured me the amp draw was minimal and that I could hook up to a constant hot lead. The only reason to do that is to preserve the big number in memory. It will all be for nothing if you do the battery disconnect thing.

Power does not need to be constant unless you want to save the number. Seems most install the receiver under the glass and it works- try it befor you go nuts with a permanent install- I'm using velcro myself. Good luck!

WETTE VETTE 06-15-2002 02:21 PM

Well this is the best I could get today!!

1 Attachment(s)
I was hoping to be able to duplicate the 97.8 MPH pass I made earlier this year, but it didn't happen. The temperature is about 20 degrees warmer and I had passengers this time so I was also heavier. I am also trying some colder spark plugs which MAY be producing less HP. I will have to do some homework on that. I think the biggest factor was the windy and choppy conditions. I achieved the best top end today going into a 15 MPH wind on our little lake. Going into the wind enabled me to run on less choppy water on the big end of the pass. When going with the wind the lake was pretty choppy when top MPH should be occuring and a buddy of mine that was watching said he could hear the prop coming in and out of the water. My theory is it isn't having a chance to hook up and the numbers were actually less going with the wind. Normally my boat is faster with the wind, but with less chop. Boy listen to all of my excuses. I sound like the guy that just had his boat radared for the first time.:eek: Hey, still not bad for a 12 year old Baja even if it is 5 MPH below my best pass on possibly optimal conditions.:) I'll take it!!!

Cattitude 06-15-2002 06:16 PM

Summertime speeds

WV- 92.9 is nothing to be ashamed of this time of year! Good luck, you'll pick those speeds back up in the fall I'm sure.
Cat

WETTE VETTE 06-15-2002 07:07 PM

I go through the same thing every year.

Take the boat out in the spring and it runs like a raped ape. It was 55 degrees with low humidity on the day I ran 97.8. Then when the temp and humidity rise in the summer I start double checking my timing and valve lash to make sure that is not the reason for the soggy performance. The carb and intake on my motor was dripping wet from the condensation and that normally means less than ideal air for making HP. Low dewpoint equals high moisture levels. Anyway in the fall the good HP air comes back and so do the big numbers. Here is the key to remember, the guy in the other boat has the same air you do so put the hammer down!!!!:D

MnFastBoat 06-16-2002 05:50 AM

WTF

do you have for a motor????:D
those a some sweet numbers for a v :)

I still have not installed mine
been busy as all hell
have hte boat today and I will try and get it in but would rather be running then wrenching :)

WETTE VETTE 06-16-2002 09:12 AM

496" Chevy, but not a MERC

1 Attachment(s)
Lets call it a 496 SHO!! Naturally aspirated, Dart heads, high compression, roller stuff, Nickerson stuff, and I could go on and on. I have done some research on the colder plug thing and it could cause a loss in performance because colder plugs remove more heat from the motor. I will be installing the hotter ones and losing my passengers and will shoot at that 97.8 number again this week. It will be tough because of summer air, but you gotta love tryin.:D Here is the motor!

NORDSKOG 06-17-2002 03:28 PM

WV, Sounds like you are having excellent runs and the speeds are definitely respectable. I was wondering what the RPM was at that speed? Do you have trim tabs? You are so close to the 100 mark. Also, very nice looking motor. As always, be safe.

Cattitude 06-17-2002 03:32 PM

Tell tale for the tach?

Hey Patrick,

Love my new speedo- how tough would it be to make the tach hold the highest reading- until cleared of course (or does it already do this and I have not figured it out?

Let me know when you are coming to AR to see all the bass boat dudes.
Cat