Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The SPEED channel.. Why they will not show boat racing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/231413-speed-channel-why-they-will-not-show-boat-racing.html)

fantastixvoyage 05-27-2010 11:16 AM

I think with the personalities, ego, boats, power, beaches, babes, etc etc there has to be something marketable here. Especially with some creative editing. Can't wait to see what OPA puts together on VERSUS.

mikes280 05-27-2010 12:00 PM

hey you can always watch endless runs of poker games , now those guys are athletes. What ever.

Strip Poker 388 05-27-2010 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by jonyb (Post 3120958)
it's almost like MTV (the M stands for Music) showing everything BUT music.

yea MTV to me is all Rap

Ive seen espn 2 having some boat stuff,I just dont have time to watch TV to catch it.

bcfountain 05-27-2010 12:32 PM

a few years ago i switched from direct tv to dish net work just because they had the water channel and promised all of that good offshore boating showe we boaters crave.......what a joke.the water channel did not show jack,and i dont think it is even aired now.i would have been better off staying with direct tv.........they suck less.frezzeframe dvd,s and the internet is my only sorce for boat racing.what the hell is this world comming to?lol

Caincando1 05-27-2010 12:44 PM

T2x pretty much summed up why racing isn’t on TV.

In my opinion TV would get more mileage by airing poker runs. In fact they could do it with little or no production cost. I’d be willing to be that all of us poker run promoters would more than happily provide our event DVD’s to a network that was willing to air them. A network could fill days worth of air time with Poker Run DVD that they didn’t pay a dime to produce. Although I can only image that our Poker Run insurance rates would go through the roof if the general public saw some of hardware and speeds at these events.

fantastixvoyage 05-27-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Caincando1 (Post 3121377)
T2x pretty much summed up why racing isn’t on TV.

In my opinion TV would get more mileage by airing poker runs. In fact they could do it with little or no production cost. I’d be willing to be that all of us poker run promoters would more than happily provide our event DVD’s to a network that was willing to air them. A network could fill days worth of air time with Poker Run DVD that they didn’t pay a dime to produce. Although I can only image that our Poker Run insurance rates would go through the roof if the general public saw some of hardware and speeds at these events.

They do that in florida. Not sure the channel but there's are a lot of the FPC stuff. my sister tivos it for me for when I visit. :drink:

T2x 05-27-2010 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage (Post 3121278)
I think with the personalities,

What personalities? This may come as a shock but the average viewer (the key to TV sponsorship) has never heard of any of the racers....Some may vaguely remember "Popeyes" from the 90's. H*ll, even the current performance boating enthusiasts are still looking for somebody to top the Aronow "legend".....and he quit racing almost 40 years ago.

ego

They get too much of that already with the likes of Simon Cowell, George Stephanopolis, Whoopie Goldberg, and Judge Judy.

boats

Not if they are running (racing?) by themselves

power

You can't hear a turbine on TV and the last film crew to pickup proper Offshore gasoline motor noise was our NNRT chopper in the early 90's. (The Supercharged motors would give you headache ...even with headphones on)

beaches, babes, etc etc there has to be something marketable here. Especially with some creative editing.

If that's your gambit, you get all of that in a better format in Women's professional beach volleyball. To quote Al Pacino in Scarface...."First you get the money and the power....then you get the women"....... not vice versa.

Can't wait to see what OPA puts together on VERSUS.

I am afraid that until the racing model is corrected, this will simply be more of the same sad tale(see my post above). I have never seen so many examples of Albert Einstein's quoted definition of insanity--- "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Listen, I didn't write the script, but I sure did narrate the story.

T2x

T2x 05-27-2010 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mike A. (Post 3121172)
Sadly, that about sums it up.

Mike...you're agreeing with me again.....Back away from the keyboard and double check that you took all of your medications today...... ;) :D

wot 05-27-2010 01:51 PM

+1 Women's professional beach volleyball. Jmo\TV sucks anyway,
the supercatracing.com guys (and the like) are off to
a great start!

fantastixvoyage 05-27-2010 03:11 PM

Personalities??? Well everyone I meet is always intriqued by the likes of Love Muscle, Haggin, etc etc. People don't have to be known "before" being on tv, just look at all the reality shows that are a hit.

Egos? No way around it they are what they are. Why not use it to their advantage and play it up. Hell it is TV its suppose to be entertaining... BTW you just named off some of the most popular people on TV so I don't really see your point.

Boats? Who's racing against themselves? take a look at the average OPA boat count not to mention with some editing viewers could get an indepth look at the boats, engines, manufacturers, etc (not a fountain commercial tho) as well as maybe some inserts from kilo runs, loto, poker runs, etc.

Beaches and babes? your kidding right? no straight man shoud have to justify my point there...:drink:

OPA on Versus? Ever hear of learning from your mistakes and not giving up??? Why knock it until its out.

I know your background in all of this but the negativity is getting old. Its an open forum so of course you are entitled to your opinion but I personally like to see the positive side of things. makes life more enjoyable that way. Hence I'll be watching VERSUS come fall. And I bet you will be too.