Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is the turbine class dead this year in Offshore? >

Is the turbine class dead this year in Offshore?

Notices

Is the turbine class dead this year in Offshore?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But honestly what good is that class except for setting records? Only 3 boats built? all set up exactly the same?

last I checked that is what extreme racing is about??
Old 05-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
Last I saw, the turbine powered "Offshore Cat's" corner better than the other "Offshore Cat's" so I fail to see any relevance in that statement.

No offshore boat makes the turns as fast as they make the straight away's and I do not believe that the Hydro's, even with their skid plate, are taking the turns at the same rate they take the straight aways.
you right they don't turn at full speed, turbines for offshore boating are GREAT your not wrenching every time you go out like with sterling 1550s and a 4 to 6s in a 46 skater with turbines is fun at 100 to 120 cruising, I did that to block island last year but had to leave in a rush drove back in a 32ft vee and got all busted up. for what I have seen of the 46 skaters there a great rough water boat as for racing Geico jbs and aqua are top of the line race boats at 50ft and seem to handle any water great with there big skegs and of coarse Arneson[sp] surface drives it would be nice to see more turbines.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Registered

well said Air Time....
Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

CHAMP BOATS,
Fastest turning boat and (probably faster than anything else) in the corners. I hear they can pull some serious G Forces.

I crewed for a team once and if you blinked, they could be going in the other direction...

Now that's cornering !!!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Turbine boats are great for reliability and performance, However IMO they are boring to watch vs a piston powered boat. I know we are talking about offshore boats but I would rather watch about any piston powered hydro vs the turbine unlimiteds. When the piston powered boats fire up people come running
Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Registered

Do any of you really know what you are talking about? Opinions are one thing, but statements should be based on facts. I went to one race in Miami and every boat won because there was only one boat in each class. What kind of racing does that require. So before you bash Turbines why don't you race one and see how easy it is.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would the Turbine racers race each other? Turbine boats are for show, when it comes to Offshore. In the Unlimited Circuit, Turbines do great, but the Hydros also corner like they're on rails, and maintain speed. The Turbine Cats, don't corner worth a crap, and have to sacrifice a lot of speed to make it through the corners safely. Turbines sound cool, but they are not practical for where Offshore is at, at this point.

Well you sure made an A$$ out of YOURself with that garbage. I won't say anything else, I'll just wait for Scotty B and Marc Granet to give their opinions.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by DareDevil
Each class could have geico or something else on the side...but hey..it is what it is !!!!!!

I am sure every boat that races OPA will have a Geico Logo on it. As they should ! Afterall, it is the Miss Geico Series for the entire 2010 season and all the races will be produced for Cable TV.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:03 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by tbanzer
Turbine boats are great for reliability and performance, However IMO they are boring to watch vs a piston powered boat.
I know I really enjoyed this match up:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/873063/3535297

Old 05-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
I know I really enjoyed this match up:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/873063/3535297
Dam too short. You can hear the piston boat coming and the turbine boat going.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.