Notices

badluckboat

Old 05-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default badluckboat

Anyone ever have a boat that was just pure bad luck? I've had this boat for a year now. Never got more than 2 trouble free boating days in a row.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Registered

try to hang in there .
Bought my first performance boat last year , and only got to make 5 or 6 trips in it. Every trip it was somthing . And I mean every trip. Clogging motors . stuck on sandbar. Bent a prop trying to get boat on trailer. You name it. Totally rerigged throught the spring and had my first day out yesterday. All went amazingly perfect. Even after all of the stuff that I changed ,and mind you it was a lot. I just kept saying to myself somthing has got to happen. There is no way that i got this right the first time. Total runtime for the day was 60 miles, ran alot wide open . COuld not have made me happier.
Got home and missing one of my aluminum wheels with brand new tire. Broke lugs.... Have no idea what happened . I specifically remember using a pull bar to tighten lugs.
Trying to remain positive though......
Old 05-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
Anyone ever have a boat that was just pure bad luck? I've had this boat for a year now. Never got more than 2 trouble free boating days in a row.
It can be rough at times...I hear ya. Is it one specific thing that constantly has problems? motor,drive?
Old 05-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Join the club! or welcome to the club!

When I bought my used boat in the fall of 1989, I had nothing but problems for the first year and I spent a lot of money trying to find out what was wrong with it from mechanics who didn't know much, except to hand me their large bill. After the disasterest first year, I ended up pulling the engine and getting it rebuilt for quite a few more thousands of dollars. I ended up repainting the whole boat and redoing the interior and dash. Over the years I made some changes and all weren't for the good and cost more money, I still had a little problem and ended up changing the distributor system to MSD and since then it has been problem free for years. The down side of this, was my wife hated boats and the money that they cost and that experience kind of sealed my future when it come to getting a newer and bigger boat. The choice was, newer boat or divorce, I'm still married and still love my old boat. I can tell you it sucks and if you are buying a boat have it surveyed by a professional and save yourself a lot of headaches.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Did you change the name of it when you bought it?
Old 05-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera24
It can be rough at times...I hear ya. Is it one specific thing that constantly has problems? motor,drive?
Last year it was steering, starter, bad carb, bad idle. Than tore the engine down and rebuilt. Increased the HP by maybe 140. First test run in October, the trim motor went........ . Second run in April, didnt pull enough rpms. Was sold a mercury labbed prop that was advertised as a bblades prop. Given that one wasn't the boat, it's just another notch in the belt. I'd say im about half the value of the amount i purchased it for invested in.
Originally Posted by lucky strike
Did you change the name of it when you bought it?
I don't understand........there was no name on it originally. I was gonna name it "Burnin'".
Old 05-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Registered

Last year it was steering, starter, bad carb, bad idle. Than tore the engine down and rebuilt. Increased the HP by maybe 140. First test run in October, the trim motor went........ . Second run in April, didnt pull enough rpms. Was sold a mercury labbed prop that was advertised as a bblades prop. Given that one wasn't the boat, it's just another notch in the belt. I'd say im about half the value of the amount i purchased it for invested in.

I don't understand........there was no name on it originally. I was gonna name it "Burnin'".
Just take it one step at a time and remember to try and make any changes especially motor and prop changes one at a time, that way if something doesn't work you can always go back to baseline and know what does and doesn't work.

The reason I think he asked about the name is that there's a maritime superstition on changing the name of a vessel without following a maritime protocol. I got this from another site.

The ritual of a renaming ceremony for a new boat name is intended to purge the old boat name from the Ledger of the Deep and from the memory of Poseidon and Neptune. Legend says that the unluckiest ships are those who have defied the nautical gods by changing their names improperly.

There are five necessary steps in the important ceremony of renaming a boat:

1.Invocation and blessing. Call upon the gods of the sea to favor the vessel with their blessing.
2.Expression of gratitude. Offer thanks to the gods for protection of the vessel in the past. Toast the old boat name and prior boat names.
3.Supplication and de-naming. Request the nautical gods to erase all records of the previous boat name. All appearances of the boat name is removed from the vessel and an offering of wine is poured into the sea from east to west.
4.Rededication and renaming. A rededication to the gods of the sea is made for the vessel’s new name.
5.Libation. The remaining wine is shared with the gods and distinguished guests on the bow of the vessel.

During the renaming ceremony red wine is typically used because it symbolizes the blood of a virgin (which used to be sacrificed). Urine is sometimes used in certain cultures to wash away any trace of the old boat name and to clean wounds of the “soul” of the boat that was captured by the new owner.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Someone told me a long time ago if you change the name on a boat that's bad luck. That's Y I asked the question.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered

Just bought a bottle of red! Any other rituals?? I'll take anything I can get.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Registered

Remember drink two bottles then use one for ritual...everything will be ok after that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.