Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is the turbine class dead this year in Offshore? >

Is the turbine class dead this year in Offshore?

Notices

Is the turbine class dead this year in Offshore?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the turbine class dead this year in Offshore?

Well theres a couple races in the books for tis year and I still have yet to see any of the big turbine boats out there. Granted there is no real competion in that class to motivate anyone to race in the most expensive class in offshore but i would have figured that at least one boat would show up to at least one race. Or is the senario going to be that one team will show at 2 or 3 races and "get handed" the national championship again? and then run in the worlds??
Old 05-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Registered

I would so no. There have is a list going for Ocean City race and Geico will be there and JBS has it listed on there site. Both boats are listed as attending the St. Clait, MI race in July, and have heard that Aqua Mania is also going to be in St. Clair. If that is true that is going to be one fast and exciting race.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geico has posted they will only run OPA events.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

And since Gieco is only doing OPA, it would make sense that JBS and AM would follow suit.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Shoot'n Motion @ 1/80 Sec
Commercial Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
And since Gieco is only doing OPA, it would make sense that JBS and AM would follow suit.
That assumption is a stretch. Hope you don't make an A$$ out of yourself for making such an assumption. JBS is racing OSS/ SBI, and Aqua is not racing at this point.

Why would the Turbine racers race each other? Turbine boats are for show, when it comes to Offshore. In the Unlimited Circuit, Turbines do great, but the Hydros also corner like they're on rails, and maintain speed. The Turbine Cats, don't corner worth a crap, and have to sacrifice a lot of speed to make it through the corners safely. Turbines sound cool, but they are not practical for where Offshore is at, at this point.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaton Photos
That assumption is a stretch. Hope you don't make an A$$ out of yourself for making such an assumption. JBS is racing OSS/ SBI, and Aqua is not racing at this point.

Why would the Turbine racers race each other? Turbine boats are for show, when it comes to Offshore. In the Unlimited Circuit, Turbines do great, but the Hydros also corner like they're on rails, and maintain speed. The Turbine Cats, don't corner worth a crap, and have to sacrifice a lot of speed to make it through the corners safely. Turbines sound cool, but they are not practical for where Offshore is at, at this point.
Its just a thought... I mean if your going to spend a million plus on a race boat, wouldnt you want to race it?? but then again this is offshore, stranger things have happened rather routinely.. like people building race boats, putting race numbers on them and then going to poker runs to prove they are faster than pleasure boats with ac, microwaves and tv's....
Old 05-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

How could you possibly compare a hydro to a offshore cat?
6inch chop, 4-6 foot waves.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Shoot'n Motion @ 1/80 Sec
Commercial Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
How could you possibly compare a hydro to a offshore cat?
6inch chop, 4-6 foot waves.
I'm not comparing a Hydro to a Cat. My reference was in regards to Turbine power & its application to Offshore Powerboats. I have yet to witness 4-6 foot waves, at any of the races, I have been to. Heck since Key West was as smooth as glass, on Friday & Sunday, the Hydroplanes could have raced the same course, and would have been just as interesting to watch.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last I saw, the turbine powered "Offshore Cat's" corner better than the other "Offshore Cat's" so I fail to see any relevance in that statement.

No offshore boat makes the turns as fast as they make the straight away's and I do not believe that the Hydro's, even with their skid plate, are taking the turns at the same rate they take the straight aways.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Registered

I used to work for AM and Im not surprised they are not racing .....yet or ever again ! When they flipped over in KW last year I figured Ricks wife would put a stop to the whole thing ! But honestly what good is that class except for setting records? Only 3 boats built? all set up exactly the same? One boat ( the gieco) 2 years set up time by Callan marine then bought by the highest bidder. I would like to see " MY WAY" (tubine powered outlimits) or Hell fire , both of which will run with any of those boats run too! yes i know pleasure boats not race boats . just makes no sense o even have a championship for those guys unless there is at least 6-9 boats at each race ! Just run poker runs if you want to promote your sponsor!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.