Long Island Sound and Montauk >

Long Island Sound and Montauk

Notices

Long Island Sound and Montauk

Old 05-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Island Sound and Montauk

Taking a trip from NYC to Montauk this friday.

Anyone have any advice on a route?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Leave early LOL!! 27 is going to be a nightmare once you cross over locks in the Hampton Bays area.

Montauk is one of my favorite places on earth.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
Leave early LOL!! 27 is going to be a nightmare once you cross over locks in the Hampton Bays area.

Montauk is one of my favorite places on earth.
Holy sh*t. I agree. Avoid 27 at all cost!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

straight up the sound, right at plum gut....water's going to be gorgeous......
Old 05-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Registered

You taking the car or the boat? Should be a nice run on the water, but it's a long ride from NYC.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Gold Member

I guess I wasn't clear that I'm taking the superboat!!! Driving on long island is a waste of time.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

Should I skirt the north or south shore? Or middle?
Should I stop for gas at port jeff? I've got a 90gal tank and should be running 58mph at 27gph.

Definitely fueling in manhasset... But port jeff would be an added measure of safety.

Can I sustain 58mph as a cruise on the sound? Or does it get too snotty for a 30'?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by rbarna
Can I sustain 58mph as a cruise on the sound? Or does it get too snotty for a 30'?
Yes and no...it can be like a lake or be like something you want nothing to do with. At this point they're calling for the front to be pushing through tomorrow and possibly on Friday. You'll have to check the winds that morning. SW 15 produces generally 2s and 3s further out, north, northeast or east will be tough, west or northwest will be nice. Here's a link to help with the current conditions. The gut can be choppy as heck depending on the tides and winds. I've made the trip from Norwalk tons of times, couldn't make it back one time though, waaaaayyy too rough. Had to train it back to CT then get it the next weekend. 30 is a decent size for the Sound most of the time unless it's grumpy out. Like I said, check the weather/winds before you go, 90 miles of grumpy Sound wouldn't be on my "to do" list.

I always found the Central Sound bouy in the attached link to be the most indicative of the majority of the Sound from Huntington Harbor and east. Have fun and let us know how it went.

http://www.mysound.uconn.edu/
Old 05-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rbarna
Should I skirt the north or south shore? Or middle?
Should I stop for gas at port jeff? I've got a 90gal tank and should be running 58mph at 27gph.

Definitely fueling in manhasset... But port jeff would be an added measure of safety.

If you're taking the ocean route, pull in through Jones inlet towards point lookout. You can grab some gas and there's a pretty good seafood restaurant as well. I believe its a 2 1/2 hour to mantuak from there.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

South Shore, if conditions are good take the ocean and if it picks up go inshore but don't stray from the channels. On your way stop in the Jones Beach area and catch the Air Show http://www.jonesbeachairshow.com/aircraft.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.