Notices

New motors suck!!

Old 04-22-2002, 11:42 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motors suck!!

Okay guys, I need help. I had some scorpions installed in my 1988 Sonic 30SS and top speed is a mere 62 MPH on full fuel and water tanks in fresh water. WHAT THE H...????

Anyone with any ideas? Oh yeah, I also had the X dimension raised one inch as per Sonic recommendation.

Swapped my old Ballistics with Bravo I props, I few more revs with the Ballistics and the best speed of 62 MPH.

Similar weight boats in Powerboat mag with scorpions are doing 77 MPH!! I expected at least 71 without a stepped hull.

Obviously, a compression test of the motors is in order first.

Bummed out.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:50 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

sorry to hear man that sucks!!!

are you spinngin eth props fast enough? what RPMs are your engines at?
Old 04-23-2002, 12:10 AM
Registered

Yea CBR, give us some more info. RPM's, Props, timing. Do both engines run the same? How well does it come on plane? Were the engines new, rebuilt or used?
Nothin worse than spending a bunch of money on something and being disappointed with the out come.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:31 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Revs were right at 5,000 and the Scorpions max out at 5200 so that is not the problem. Props were recommended by Sonic also, so that is not the prob. either.

Anyone running 350 HP scorpions in a 7,000 pound boat? The prop slip formula says 71 MPH, and the mag tests are over 75 MPH in similar boats.

I don't get it!
Old 04-23-2002, 01:31 AM
Registered

Question

Do you have a speedo or GPS ?
Old 04-23-2002, 06:27 AM
jr

CBR, what prop slip numbers are you seeing, what size prop. I'm running a pair of small blocks in my Nova II. The boat weighs in at about 6000 with full fuel. My engines are putting out around 425 HP. The problem I'm having is getting the props hooked up. I'm running an X dimension 2 inches higher than stock and I'm seeing prop slips upwards of 25% and a top speed of 59 GPS. Looking at the geometry of the bottom I have 2 blade tips out of the water by about 3 inches when I'm on plane. This year I'm putting on smaller diameter props and higher pitch. I've got 22"p Hydromotives now, and the boat doesn't really like them too much. I have problems getting out of the hole and I've had some blow out and my revs are way too high. So high that my secondaries dont come on until 5000.

Old 04-23-2002, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the problem! This may sound funny but do the engines sound like they are running 5000 rpm? Is it possible the tachs are not accurate and you not getting WOT? Try a pair of 3 blades. I have a set of 23 Mirages you can try. Are you able to get enough trim? These boats need to be out of the water to get moving. Maybe lowering the X has something to do with it. If all else fails you might try 1" spacers in the drives.

I know it sucks but stay calm we'll figure it out.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:04 AM
turbo2256

JR ,
Have you tried some surface piercing props worked on an Alpha SS I had... or some drive spacers.

Old 04-23-2002, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CBR,
What motors were in there before? Were they bigblocks?

If so, why was the x-dimension raised...less weight back there would mean that the boat would already be sitting higher than previous. Just a thought...
Old 04-23-2002, 09:15 AM
Registered

Let me be the first to ask. Without trying to offend, why not Big Blocks?

Quick Reply: New motors suck!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.