1 dead 4 hurt in Michigan Boat crash >

1 dead 4 hurt in Michigan Boat crash

Notices

1 dead 4 hurt in Michigan Boat crash

Old 06-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DollaBill
I don't understand why it's not law that operating in the dark + idle speeds????
What water bodies? Lake? River? Bay? Ocean?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive around at night on Lk. St. Clair all the time in the dark at 35-45 mph. It is a very easy lake to navigate, there are markers that you can see clear across the lake, and as long as everyone has their lights on there shouldn't be any problems.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Idle only at night is a little extreme, IMO. LOTO is 30mph and is fairly safe at that speed. Almost all the accidents that happen at LOTO at night are alcohol related.

I have had a couple close calls, at least closer than I'd like at LOTO at night and barely avoided a collision last year at night on our river. I was running no more than 35mph and was able to react and avoid them. If you start increasing speed, your time to react gets reduced greatly. I also use common sense and reduce my speed to about 10mph and come off plane in very dark areas on our river and in coves at LOTO that I'm not familiar with.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
I drive around at night on Lk. St. Clair all the time in the dark at 35-45 mph. It is a very easy lake to navigate, there are markers that you can see clear across the lake, and as long as everyone has their lights on there shouldn't be any problems.
I used to do the same but have run across many a boat with no lights on. Some people seem to think they can pop the lights on if they hear a boat coming. Sad fact is it is usually too late. I refuse to boat at night anymore...
Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Idle only at night is a little extreme, IMO. LOTO is 30mph and is fairly safe at that speed. Almost all the accidents that happen at LOTO at night are alcohol related.

I have had a couple close calls, at least closer than I'd like at LOTO at night and barely avoided a collision last year at night on our river. I was running no more than 35mph and was able to react and avoid them. If you start increasing speed, your time to react gets reduced greatly. I also use common sense and reduce my speed to about 10mph and come off plane in very dark areas on our river and in coves at LOTO that I'm not familiar with.
Problem is trying to stay on plane at 30mph; Mikey blew a drive this weekend at night. But I do agree it has helped cut down on the nonsense.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
I used to do the same but have run across many a boat with no lights on. Some people seem to think they can pop the lights on if they hear a boat coming. Sad fact is it is usually too late. I refuse to boat at night anymore...
My thoughts exactly. There is nothing good that can come from boating at night. I am always back to the lift before it gets dark.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Enough 4 Play
My thoughts exactly. There is nothing good that can come from boating at night. I am always back to the lift before it gets dark.
We try to stay close to home at the lake, only ever idle back from a short distance. Been boating at night at LOTO, can get scary without a full moon. Love to do it, but just trying to be safe.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Registered

I lived on the lake for almost 10yrs. I can't count how many nights offshores were running all out at 10, midnight, 2 AM... I was on my porch one night a Cig launched into a park a few hundred feet from shore. Abrupt silence is scary chit!