Notices

Need tire advice

Old 05-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tire advice

Over the weekend had a blow out on one of my Goodyear Marathons. I will not put them back on my trailer, fender took enough damage. I am looking at putting on a set of four Maxxis tires. Has anyone had any experience with these tires. I would really like to stick with a Radial tire. Cost does not matter, I want the best tire with the highest load rating possible. Size 215 75 R14 By the way the trailer is a Heritage with a 275 Baja on it.

Thanks

Last edited by 1sampy; 05-31-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Corrected some info
Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1sampy
Over the weekend had a blow out on one of my Goodyear Marathons. I will not put them back on my trailer, fender took enough damage. I am looking at putting on a set of four Maxxis tires. Has anyone had any experience with these tires. I would really like to stick with a Radial tire. Cost does not matter, I want the best tire with the highest load rating possible. Size 215 75 R14 By the way the trailer is a Heritage with a 275 Baja on it.

Thanks
Avoid Carlisle, I have had better luck running Light truck tires rather than "trailer tires"
Old 06-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Registered

For what it's worth. I agree on staying away from Carsiles.The west coast guys have alot of troubles with them. The Goodyear Marathons were being made in China in the past. Lots of problems with them.Now being made back in the USA. Supposed to be good now. Maxxis are supposed to be a good choice, from what I've read. Another good choice to look into would be Green Ball. Yes I know, who ever heard of Green Ball? Google it and check out their site. Another thing is the tire MFG"S want tires to be replaced every five years reguardless of condition. Their is a date code usually on the back side of a tire in a small oval. It tells the week of the year manufactured and the year. Example-- 310 would be the 3rd week of January of 2010. If you can't find it or figure it out any reputable tire dealer will be able to help you. I have a friend that shreaded a Carlisle radial on a tandem car hauler last weekend. He is anal about checking his tires and air pressures. Most ererything seems to be a crap shoot these days.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will add my opinion to this one. I have had carlisles and goodyears. Both had good luck and bad. I have a baja 272, so we are about the same weight. Best thing I did, was upgrade from my 215/75/14 load C to a 225/75/15 load range D. Get away from pushing the limits of the 14" tire, and give yourself a little breathing room. You wont look back. (I had room under the fenders of my eagle trailer to fit the 15s)
Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

It sounds too me like you have too much boat on 14" tires. I would want at least 15" tires under that load. You may need to go to a LT tire for a C or maybe D load rating.

Cooper makes great tires, and they have a trailer tire. I have experience with their LT and Street Truck tires, but not the trailer tires from Cooper.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Registered

Up grade to a 15" tire and you will be much happier. The load rating of the 15" tires are much higher.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

What kills trailer tires is tight cornering backing up or forward. The side skid motion breaks the bond of the tread way from the belts and soon the tire tread is held together by just the sidewall.
Thats why when you see trailer tires blow they look like they were recaps most of the time.