Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Interior prices (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/232269-interior-prices.html)

glassdave 06-23-2010 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by mptrimshop (Post 3143704)
Well if memory serves me right there is no seem in that sun-deck the red/black ZX is made...then ya gott cut the reverse out of the white. If you are using a 1/2 S.A (seam Allowance) you would have to not stretch ether piece one 1/16 of and inch and never veer off your 1/2 S.A. at all not Evan a half a stitch other wise when ya got to the last part you would have a wrinkle. Thats why in all the baja's with flame you see stitches running though all the main colors all the way to the end of the material. If you were %100 perfect you might be able to do it but i have yet to meet a trim guy that is %100 perfect ....the only thing i can think of that could do that so precise is a computer....prob why you don't see stuff like that on older boats we did have the technology to do it....again i could be wrong i don't claim to know everything....if any one else has any incite in to this i would love to here it

thats correct there is no seam, it is done within the top piece of vinyl itself. who ever did it actually had to map out the Zx and cut a hole with the 1/2" SA added in. Its very well done and looks tedious for sure.

mptrimshop 06-23-2010 11:11 PM

i will try and make something like that with some of my spare material net time i have some free time and i will do it on a smaller scale.... i'll post pics of it if you guys promise not to laugh and don't count it against my quality of work.....

low_psi 06-24-2010 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rookie (Post 3143615)
I will be talking to him tomorrow and will let him know that you might be interested in some winter work. He likes to line marine stuff up for the winter months to keep him busy. He does a lot of custom car interiors, and is always swamped in the summer.
Rookie

I sent you a PM with my phone number, if you could forward it to you interior guy I would greatly appreciate it.

glassdave 06-24-2010 10:14 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by onefastt (Post 3143699)
How hard would it be to cut a pattern from what he has? Cant what is already there be traced add a half inch to each side for stitch then pinned together and sewn? I have done some upholstery work in the past. I have never seen one of those pads in person. What makes them so difficult. Looks more time consuming than difficult.

heres a closer pic of the ZX

glassdave 06-24-2010 11:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
heres some pics of a skin from a Donzi Daytona i had in the shop recently. The existing cover was re done in white and the customer is wanting to send this out to be re produced and installed this winter. This looks like a tough one for sure, lots of intricate corners with that dark blue drop shadow on the bottom of the letters.

glassdave 06-24-2010 11:52 AM

5 Attachment(s)
some detail of the inside of the skin. I imagine this is one of those things like big graphics jobs in that you have to think way ahead of the progression on the project. I would have to admire anyone that is capable of this kinda work :cool:

TexomaPowerboater 06-24-2010 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by mptrimshop (Post 3143404)
well the shop is at my house so my overhead is just tool cost. I work in construction and ave alot of days off due to weather. I have started doing a few covers this week and there seems to be a bit more $ in them and not near as much detailed work. I guess what i'm asking is do you guys feel $50 is a fair price?

$50/hr is a good price IMO. Plumbers and mechanics are making $100/hr.

TxHawk 06-24-2010 02:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Are you wanting to do re-upholster jobs or complete interiors? I took mine to a guy that had made his living mostly doing aircraft interiors. He had nothing to work with so he constructed all of the seats from scratch and then covered. He way underestimated the time it would take and lost his a$$. I have sent him a lot of work since to make up for it. Just be honest up front and give yourself enough room to use more time. If you don't use it... great.

mptrimshop 06-24-2010 11:09 PM

TxHawk.....what is a fair price for something like that if you don't mind me asking?

mptrimshop 06-25-2010 06:27 PM

anyone else got pics of stuff they have had done?