Notices

Interior prices

Old 06-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the shop is at my house so my overhead is just tool cost. I work in construction and ave alot of days off due to weather. I have started doing a few covers this week and there seems to be a bit more $ in them and not near as much detailed work. I guess what i'm asking is do you guys feel $50 is a fair price?
Old 06-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I think you need to come up with a variable cost per hour. You should have 3 inputs for pricing. 1) for materials, 1) for overhead, and 1) for labor. For overhead you should total your annual cost of overhead (rent, storage, admin, tools, and depreciation of equipment, etc) then divide by total annual jobs or hourly work. That will give you an overhead allocation variable. For labor take your desired salary net of taxes and divide by how many hours you expect to work in a givin year. If its too much relative to competition then you need to benchmark the competition and learn their competitive advantages.
Financial Accounting 101. Great advice.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I paid $350 for my bolsters, $300 for my back bench and kick panel and $60 for my sunpad solid white with red piping around the perimeter.
Where did you have yours done? I am in Michigan too, and will need my seats and sunpad done over the winter on my Velocity 260.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
Rookie it sound like you got one hell of deal on that interior...i don't know how big your sun-deck is but i don't think i could get vinyle at my cost for $60 for that let alone build and install it.
Sunpad is 4'x6'x2" Funny thing is, he is making another sunpad for me this week. Last year heading down the highway I lost mine. A couple pulled up next to me and told me that I lost my sunpad about a mile back. I turned around and saw it on the side of the road. I made a U-turn 2 miles down the highway and when I got back to the spot where I saw it, some ba$tard had already picked it up! It was all white with red piping around the perimeter, kinda simple and really made the back look like blahh when I got the new bolsters and rear bench covered.

The new one will match the bottom of my bolster seats. 1/3 white, stripe of red separated by white piping and then the rest of the 2/3's red. This was my first design and I tried to carry over the lines from the original interior.

Originally Posted by low_psi
Where did you have yours done? I am in Michigan too, and will need my seats and sunpad done over the winter on my Velocity 260.
He is just a local guy in GR and has done interior components for me the last 16yrs. I first drove to his shop 16 yrs ago with my '86 Honda Interceptor and a rotted seat. I asked him how much to recover it. He looked at it, ripped off my red torn seat skin, stretch a new shiny piece of black vinyl over it, stapled it and said $10.

I will be talking to him tomorrow and will let him know that you might be interested in some winter work. He likes to line marine stuff up for the winter months to keep him busy. He does a lot of custom car interiors, and is always swamped in the summer.
Rookie

Last edited by Rookie; 06-23-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

anybody know where i can get a new ZX for the sun pad done? Even if i had to have the skin done somewhere and installed here. The cover weighs a ton so shipping it somewhere is not practical and no one here is capable of doing the letters. There a few shops around here that are capable of installing it though.
Attached Thumbnails Interior prices-zx.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Registered

Dave i am willing to bet the only place you can get that is from donzi...or who they crop there interior work out to. I have looked at those sun-decks and thought to myself..."that has to be computer stitched" May be if ya had the pattern to cut from you could have an interior guy do it....and thats a BIG maybe .....but ya never know i'm sure there are guys out there that could do that....i don't feel i'm one of them
Old 06-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Registered

Rookie sounds like you have a real good trim guy....and from what i hear from all the guys i do work for thats hard to find
Old 06-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard would it be to cut a pattern from what he has? Cant what is already there be traced add a half inch to each side for stitch then pinned together and sewn? I have done some upholstery work in the past. I have never seen one of those pads in person. What makes them so difficult. Looks more time consuming than difficult.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Registered

Well if memory serves me right there is no seem in that sun-deck the red/black ZX is made...then ya gott cut the reverse out of the white. If you are using a 1/2 S.A (seam Allowance) you would have to not stretch ether piece one 1/16 of and inch and never veer off your 1/2 S.A. at all not Evan a half a stitch other wise when ya got to the last part you would have a wrinkle. Thats why in all the baja's with flame you see stitches running though all the main colors all the way to the end of the material. If you were %100 perfect you might be able to do it but i have yet to meet a trim guy that is %100 perfect ....the only thing i can think of that could do that so precise is a computer....prob why you don't see stuff like that on older boats we did have the technology to do it....again i could be wrong i don't claim to know everything....if any one else has any incite in to this i would love to here it
Old 06-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Registered

Also i never cut a pater out of old material unless it is trashed beyond belief or i'm %110 confident i can make the piece perfect. I'll try and make my own patter out of plastic and make stuff that i'm not sure about that way if i don't like the product i make the old on stays on the customer pays nothing no hurt feelings and my name stay good around the area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.