Driver 46..why Did You Delete Your Thread >

Driver 46..why Did You Delete Your Thread

Notices

Driver 46..why Did You Delete Your Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
Dammit... I was posting on that thread when it got deleted..

My Post:
It depends who the boat is marketed to (which is why I think they started offering the training course with the boat). The boat is being marketed to Joe Offshorewannabe, and if Joe Offshorewannabe 1, 2, 3, and 4 roll them, then there is a design flaw in the hull/rigging (for intensive purposes).
Missed the original thread. Are you saying a specific Outerlimits model has been rolled by 4 different owners/boats?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Post:
It depends who the boat is marketed to (which is why I think they started offering the training course with the boat). The boat is being marketed to Joe Offshorewannabe, and if Joe Offshorewannabe 1, 2, 3, and 4 roll them, then there is a design flaw in the hull/rigging (for intensive purposes).
Dude, you're shooting for the stars. Your post makes no sense.... trying to make something out of nothing.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
Dude, you're shooting for the stars. Your post makes no sense.... trying to make something out of nothing.
His post does make sense. That size/model boat has been involved in at least three accidents that I am aware of, one accident resulted in death. A boating safety course may have prevented these accidents, or dramatically reduced the likelihood of accident. But I am not part of the crowd that says these accidents are due solely to driver error. The boat has limitations, as do all boats.

The thread that was deleted was about a 42' boat that rolled when cornering left with the left trim tabbed in the down position; the passengers were ejected (the boat was operating in a cruise speed from what I remember 60+/- mph). Hopefully that clarifies what some missed points.

Last edited by Smarty; 06-10-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Post:

Where do people dream up these wild conspiracy scenarios?

That's not even CLOSE to the reality of how OL markets their boats, and especially why they would offer a safety course to their owners.

Is the fact that offering a professional course is just a good idea, just too boring of a concept to accept?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told myself I was not going to get involved in a keyboard battle, but some of the nonsense here makes me chuckle. There have been 2 incidents involving 42 Ol's, out of 70 + that have been built, all of which are capable of running over 100 mph.

Both were results of driver error. The fact that we offered and encouraged the course was based on the fact that everybody has something to learn, It is easy for the majority of people on this board (who have never even been on a 42 OL) to comment and speculate on topics that they have no idea on what they are talking about.

The dumbest people on the planet are those who think they know everything.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:52 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! My guess this turned into a OL bashing thread? WTF! The guy said it was the drivers error why the questions about the boat it self?
Old 06-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
Where do people dream up these wild conspiracy scenarios?

That's not even CLOSE to the reality of how OL markets their boats, and especially why they would offer a safety course to their owners.

Is the fact that offering a professional course is just a good idea, just too boring of a concept to accept?

Wait a minute... So now you're saying that OL doesn't market their boats to amateur boat drivers?

They market their boats to anyone that can afford them, and I would contend that MOST of their customers are amateur boat drivers.

I believe that they offered the course more on the advice from their legal department more so than they thought it would be a "good idea."

Under the implied warranty of merchantability that exists on EVERYTHING purchased new from a dealer that sells goods of the kind an item HAS to be fit for its particular use. A 42' OL, with a full dressed cabin, enclosed head, a/c, frige, shorepower, etc. at least pretends to be a pleasure boat and needs to fit that purpose.

This isn't some silly conspiracy theory that I drummed up because I was bored... It's law...

Old 06-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Sad that the Forums are getting to be such a "bashfest" as of late. It seems the only threads that are of any length are at the expense of others. Warranted or not.

Interesting how negative and defamatory threads seem to go on and on. I for one am pleased the thread was closed. It was turning into another "flame" thread. While I do not own an OL, one only has to do minimal investigating to come to the conclusion OL and the Fiore Family produce a first class product.

I'm off my little soapbox now. Flame on.

Sam
Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Wait a minute... So now you're saying that OL doesn't market their boats to amateur boat drivers?
I think to say that OL "markets to amateurs" is a long stretch and actually far from the truth. I'm sure if you did the research you'd find that most OL owners have owed at the very minimum of one other boat before buying an OL.

They market their boats to anyone that can afford them, and I would contend that MOST of their customers are amateur boat drivers.
Agree they market to anyone that can afford them. However, disagree that most are amateurs. Again, I would say the majority of their owners have a lot of previous experience running boats which, in my opinion, takes them out of the amateur boat ranking.

I believe that they offered the course more on the advice from their legal department more so than they thought it would be a "good idea."
I would like to think it's a bit of both.

Under the implied warranty of merchantability that exists on EVERYTHING purchased new from a dealer that sells goods of the kind an item HAS to be fit for its particular use. A 42' OL, with a full dressed cabin, enclosed head, a/c, frige, shorepower, etc. at least pretends to be a pleasure boat and needs to fit that purposre.
I don't understand this part? The 42 with full cabin IS a pleasure boat. They also build non-cabin canopied poker run boats that also fall into the description of a pleasure boat. I guess it just depends on your definition of pleasure.

And I'll say it again, this isn't an "OL thing", you drive ANY boat improperly, you're going to get into trouble.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by animalhouse
I told myself I was not going to get involved in a keyboard battle, but some of the nonsense here makes me chuckle. There have been 2 incidents involving 42 Ol's, out of 70 + that have been built, all of which are capable of running over 100 mph.

Both were results of driver error. The fact that we offered and encouraged the course was based on the fact that everybody has something to learn, It is easy for the majority of people on this board (who have never even been on a 42 OL) to comment and speculate on topics that they have no idea on what they are talking about.

The dumbest people on the planet are those who think they know everything.
If there are only two incidents with the 42' model, what size boat was it that ejected it passeneger (a girl) in a Connecticut Poker several years ago (this information is first hand from a passenger - an OL Dealer - who was in the boat). And this accident was due to driver error according to the witness, I do not disagree with that at all. Just restating history not making an opinion from the hip.

I certainly do not know it all, but I am just trying to understand. I would have no problem owning or operating the OL product. If I could afford a new OL, I think they are one of the of the best V's built in the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.