Driver 46..why Did You Delete Your Thread

Notices

Driver 46..why Did You Delete Your Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Every now and then someone that isn't qualified buys a Porsche, a Ducati, a Outerlimits. It is not the manufacturers responsibility to weed these buyers out.

The same person probably would hurt themselves or someone else operating a dildo.
Agreed to an extent, manufacturers sell products, consumer buy products with an expectation that the product will be safe to operate within the realms of the product's operating capacity. It it is foreseen that any type of boat may have to make an emergency turn at a cruise speed, or at any speed to avoid an object and or accident? Boat design needs to take these emergency situations into account in order to provide a safe product. Accidents happen, no argument. This is my only concern when it comes to operating boats, and boat design. My father made an 85mph emergency turn to avoid collision many years ago, and the boat handled it great (straight-bottom V). That should be the case for all boats, if possible.

The boat in question apparently was not operating in a safe manner due solely to driver error, this was not an emergency situation. I bring up emergency situation, because if a boat (any brand) may spin out/roll due to aggressive turn then the manufacture has a duty to warn of such a trait/handling characteristic and should implement a safer design if feasible. You see warning labels on all consumer products in the market place just for these reasons, assume all buyers do not know it all.

I think the 42' OL is a safe boat if handled in a correct manner, and this roll-over incident the driver was in error. But an educated/informed driver may not have made this mistake. Once a product is put the stream of commerce you have to assume future buyers need to be aware of these limitations. And due to this accident it is apparent that boat owners still do not fully understand how to drive stepped V's or their handling characteristics. Buyers of performance boats assume the risk when operation these type of boats, to an extent (as in all legal scenarios the answer is ... it depends on all the facts).

Summary - inform customers, build a safe boat, use in a responsible manner = reduced injury, hopefully no lawsuits. If you have a product that is prone to spinning out or rolling over then redesign, or recall should occur; in this example that threshold has not been met.

I think that the 42' OL is safe boat, and OL will continue to improve upon their product to make it even safer, and more predictable handling in a variety of sea conditions (this is an assumption). Have a safe summer.

Last edited by Smarty; 06-14-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck
I really find it hard to believe how people love to jump on the band wagon on these sites. If you drive anything let me say again, "anything" improperly you have a very good chance to get hurt or hurt others. Jumping on one of the elite boat manufacturers is really sad, and shows a real case of envy or worse resentment towards others. The fact is that an OL is an expensive piece of machinery, because a person has the means to buy it should not require that he be an expert prior to buying. That being said, that buyer does have a resposibility to learn how to drive that boat safely. This will protect him (or her)and his passengers and everyone else enjoying the water. Thanks for reading and I sincerly hope some of you can take this to heart, get some inner perspective, and concentrate on improving ones own life so that you can achieve the kind of success that will enable you to buy a fine high performace machine such as an OL or whatever your personal taste may be. In closing,work on what you have and quit worrying about "the jones's" and why they shouldn't have what they have.

Ok, do me a favor... Show me where anyone "jumped on" one of the elite boat manufacturers... Then do me a favor and show me where someone acted in a "bandwagon" sort of manner... Then show me where someone acted out of "envy" or "resentment toward others." Then we can continue this discussion...
Old 06-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Registered

Received 2,967 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
+1.....in the 80's 911 Turbos (aka 930s) had a terrible reputation for "trailing throttle oversteer" which meant if you back off the throttle in a corner the weight of the engine over the rear axle would "shift" and spin the car out, azz backwards into whatever was on the side of the road. They were excellent cars if you were Hurley Haywood (pro driver from the era) but for the Dr./Dentist that just bought it and was out hot rodding it they would be called crash test dummies!

The car and in this case (boats) are fine when properly driven, in the hands of a novice they will defintely bite!
Off topic:

I was under the impression it was the turbo lag that was spinning the 930s (Turbo 911's) in the turns and killing the drivers.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
Ok, do me a favor... Show me where anyone "jumped on" one of the elite boat manufacturers... Then do me a favor and show me where someone acted in a "bandwagon" sort of manner... Then show me where someone acted out of "envy" or "resentment toward others." Then we can continue this discussion...
read the thread... and we can continue with out you..
Old 06-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

+1.....in the 80's 911 Turbos (aka 930s) had a terrible reputation for "trailing throttle oversteer" which meant if you back off the throttle in a corner the weight of the engine over the rear axle would "shift" and spin the car out, azz backwards into whatever was on the side of the road. They were excellent cars if you were Hurley Haywood (pro driver from the era) but for the Dr./Dentist that just bought it and was out hot rodding it they would be called crash test dummies!

The car and in this case (boats) are fine when properly driven, in the hands of a novice they will defintely bite!
Ahh, Yes...The "Dr. Killers"...And corvairs before them
The "Step-bottom" boats of the day....
Old 06-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Off topic:

I was under the impression it was the turbo lag that was spinning the 930s (Turbo 911's) in the turns and killing the drivers.
Actually the lag starts the panic because when the boost kicks in it is too much and the driver lifts off to slow down and then the dance begins! The non-turbos will do it just as quickly too!

Here it is at the 2:50 mark, notice the brake lights are on as the spin begins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_mKqWG77RU
Old 06-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 2,967 Likes on 981 Posts

Actually the lag starts the panic because when the boost kicks in it is too much and the driver lifts off to slow down and then the dance begins! The non-turbos will do it just as quickly too!

Here it is at the 2:50 mark, notice the brake lights are on as the spin begins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_mKqWG77RU
I've actually done it in a Modena...Porsche's aren't the only ones!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
read the thread... and we can continue with out you..
Thank you Jeff.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck
Thank you Jeff.
Your welcome bud. besides it's my thread...
Old 06-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
Wait a minute... So now you're saying that OL doesn't market their boats to amateur boat drivers?

They market their boats to anyone that can afford them, and I would contend that MOST of their customers are amateur boat drivers.

I believe that they offered the course more on the advice from their legal department more so than they thought it would be a "good idea."

Under the implied warranty of merchantability that exists on EVERYTHING purchased new from a dealer that sells goods of the kind an item HAS to be fit for its particular use. A 42' OL, with a full dressed cabin, enclosed head, a/c, frige, shorepower, etc. at least pretends to be a pleasure boat and needs to fit that purpose.

This isn't some silly conspiracy theory that I drummed up because I was bored... It's law...

God that is a stretch to imply that an OL isnt of merchaniable quality.

Its amazing how people seek to impose higher standards on things on the water. Last time I checked car manufacturers didnt offer driver training couses with each new car sale. Although it may be a prudent thing to do, I dont think they have any obligation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.