Driver 46..why Did You Delete Your Thread

Notices

Driver 46..why Did You Delete Your Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by animalhouse
I told myself I was not going to get involved in a keyboard battle, but some of the nonsense here makes me chuckle. There have been 2 incidents involving 42 Ol's, out of 70 + that have been built, all of which are capable of running over 100 mph.

Both were results of driver error. The fact that we offered and encouraged the course was based on the fact that everybody has something to learn, It is easy for the majority of people on this board (who have never even been on a 42 OL) to comment and speculate on topics that they have no idea on what they are talking about.

The dumbest people on the planet are those who think they know everything.
If there are only two incidents with the 42' model, what size boat was it that ejected it passeneger (a girl) in a Connecticut Poker several years ago (this information is first hand from a passenger - an OL Dealer - who was in the boat). And this accident was due to driver error according to the witness, I do not disagree with that at all. Just restating history not making an opinion from the hip.

I cetainly do not know it all, but I am just trying to understand. I would have no problem owning or operating the OL product. If I could afford a new OL, I think they are one of the of the best V's built in the world.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
I think to say that OL "markets to amateurs" is a long stretch and actually far from the truth. I'm sure if you did the research you'd find that most OL owners have owed at the very minimum of one other boat before buying an OL.
I don't care if you've owned 10 boats before an OL, if you're stepping up to what is basically an offshore race boat with a toilet you're still an amateur. All I'm saying is that they're marketing these boats to non-expert boat drivers, and the boat has to have a degree of forgiveness.

Agree they market to anyone that can afford them. However, disagree that most are amateurs. Again, I would say the majority of their owners have a lot of previous experience running boats which, in my opinion, takes them out of the amateur boat ranking.
It depends what they have experience driving... Even if its driving a 35' Cig w/o a stepped bottom I would still say that they're amateurs in a 42' boat that has a stepped bottom. By all accounts they're a completely different animal. In fact, it seems to me that someone with a ton of experience in a non-stepped boat may be worse off than someone without. The stepped boats are apparently a lot less forgiving than non-stepped hulls.

I don't understand this part? The 42 with full cabin IS a pleasure boat. They also build non-cabin canopied poker run boats that also fall into the description of a pleasure boat. I guess it just depends on your definition of pleasure.
I just mean that these are more or less fully ready race boats with cabins.

And I'll say it again, this isn't an "OL thing", you drive ANY boat improperly, you're going to get into trouble.
I fully understand this, 100%. That said, OL's seem less forgiving than many other hull designs. If that's not the case, and all of these larger, high HP, stepped hull boats are rolling over at a high rate, than maybe courses should be offered with all of them. After all, they are $300k + each, it wouldn't kill them to offer their own training course or outsource a course to teach people how to drive their boats.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
This isn't some silly conspiracy theory that I drummed up because I was bored... It's law...

They offer the course, thats all they can DO!
Old 06-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smarty
If there are only two incidents with the 42' model, what size boat was it that ejected it passeneger (a girl) in a Connecticut Poker several years ago (this information is first hand from a passenger - an OL Dealer - who was in the boat). And this accident was due to driver error according to the witness, I do not disagree with that at all. Just restating history not making an opinion from the hip.

I cetainly do not know it all, but I am just trying to understand. I would have no problem owning or operating the OL product. If I could afford a new OL, I think they are one of the of the best V's built in the world.
Smarty,

I am not aware of the connecticut passenger ejection. I am speaking of roll over type incidents. Again, as you stated it was driver error.

I have been ejected out of a few boats (none OL's ) and I have no resentment for the manufacturer, as it was stupidity on my friends' part that led me to go swimming. For the record 2 of those times weren't on performance boats, but they were Center Consoles where the driver surfed on a boat wake and came down the back side.

In any event I know of a cigarette in Rhode Island that ejected all of it's passengers a few years back, I know of a Nortech that ejected all of it's passengers, and I know of a few fountains that ejected it's passengers in New York, not to mention the infamous ghost ridden cigarette in russia & who couldn't forget the infamous Fountain in Florida that rolled causing Cash Bar to ride it home like Shamoo.

In any performance boat there are implied risks and responsibilities to be had by the owner / operator. It starts with respect of the craft you are running & common sence to check your ego at the door and if you don't know what you are doing, than don't be afraid to ask.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

error

Last edited by Smarty; 06-10-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: error
Old 06-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
I don't care if you've owned 10 boats before an OL, if you're stepping up to what is basically an offshore race boat with a toilet you're still an amateur.

It depends what they have experience driving... Even if its driving a 35' Cig w/o a stepped bottom I would still say that they're amateurs in a 42' boat that has a stepped bottom.
So what do you have to operate before you are allowed to operate a 42 ft stepped bottom boat? At what point do you not become an amateur? I guess I am just confused as to what you constitute and amateur vs. someone who is above that status? How do you get above amateur status if you never take that next step?
Old 06-10-2010, 02:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

internet site.

Last edited by Smarty; 06-10-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Smarty,

I am not aware of the connecticut passenger ejection. I am speaking of roll over type incidents. Again, as you stated it was driver error.

I have been ejected out of a few boats (none OL's ) and I have no resentment for the manufacturer, as it was stupidity on my friends' part that led me to go swimming. For the record 2 of those times weren't on performance boats, but they were Center Consoles where the driver surfed on a boat wake and came down the back side.

In any event I know of a cigarette in Rhode Island that ejected all of it's passengers a few years back, I know of a Nortech that ejected all of it's passengers, and I know of a few fountains that ejected it's passengers in New York, not to mention the infamous ghost ridden cigarette in russia & who couldn't forget the infamous Fountain in Florida that rolled causing Cash Bar to ride it home like Shamoo.

In any performance boat there are implied risks and responsibilities to be had by the owner / operator. It starts with respect of the craft you are running & common sence to check your ego at the door and if you don't know what you are doing, than don't be afraid to ask.
Excellent points, implied risk/responsibility, know the boat, and common sense that sums it up right there. Thank you for the reply. Off topic, when is that 28' boat scheduled to be built? There is alot of interest (not sure if all were tire kickers, or how many real buying prospects you have) in that boat from other postings on this site forum and in another boating internet site.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We are moving forward with the 28, but have a substantial backlog of existing orders that we are building right now. As soon as we get some breathing room, we will dive into the 28.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

We are moving forward with the 28, but have a substantial backlog of existing orders that we are building right now. As soon as we get some breathing room, we will dive into the 28.
Same with the 36?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.