Notices

Race Cast V12 LS

Old 02-06-2021, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts
Default Race Cast V12 LS

An article came up this morning about Race Cast's V12 LS based engines. As there are quite a few threads on LS swaps, I am just throwing this out there for mention as all internals are GM's LS (obviously it is a proprietary Crank, Block and Head Castings)

The Devil V16 is estimated at $100K/each in marine trim, these are less and just as exotic if someone pulled the trigger and had a pair under the hatch(es)

V12 LS Engines - Race Cast Engineering
The following users liked this post:
Dean Ferry (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 221 Posts

I'm intrigued by all the LS based marine engines available nowadays, but not yet sold on them. They haven't proven themselves in the marine market yet. At the price they're asking for them, you can buy proven motors with the same horsepower and more. I think we're close to seeing a viable marine LS motor package for the smaller cats (28-32), but I don't see any LS based motor packages around the corner for the big cat market (40 and up).
Old 02-06-2021, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Skater30
I'm intrigued by all the LS based marine engines available nowadays, but not yet sold on them. They haven't proven themselves in the marine market yet. At the price they're asking for them, you can buy proven motors with the same horsepower and more. I think we're close to seeing a viable marine LS motor package for the smaller cats (28-32), but I don't see any LS based motor packages around the corner for the big cat market (40 and up).
Me either for the bigger stuff. It's still a small block, so limited to the biggest bore the 4.4" bore spacing allows.
All the 4 digit horsepower LS stuff is drag race, short duration type stuff it seems.
I've seen arguments where LS are cheap and whatever. Maybe so if you're using junkyard sourced stuff for your drag car.
Starting from scratch, all aftermarket, dollar for dollar you're going to be able to put a big inch big block together for less money IMHO.
Especially when there aren't many accessory drive and exhaust options for the LS.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 243 Posts

i would love to see and hear a big skater or mystic with new V12 supercharged rolls royce merlins even reproducing the allison 1750 supercharged V12 would be pretty awesome i got to experience them in the unlimited s before they killed the class and appeal with turbines
Old 02-09-2021, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Has the Skater with the Devel 16 hit the water yet???

Last I followed, the engines were being sized in the engine bay at Skater (SOTW article)
Old 02-09-2021, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

The first pair of Sixteen Power V16 engines are going into a 42 MTI cat. Not related to Devel. These are fully dressed marine engines with CMI headers, closed cooling, six stage dry sump system, transmission etc. etc.. You can't really compare them to any crate engine and the $/HP is similar to Mercury. Sixteen Power is doing the installation so they understand and address the rigging issues that a boat builder might face.

2020 was a big drag on the schedule (eg. waiting a year for transmissions) but the boat will be in the water this spring. Some pictures here:

https://www.facebook.com/xvipower/

Last edited by tomcat; 02-09-2021 at 10:04 AM.