Notices

Octane rating in Marinas?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Octane rating in Marinas?

I know there are experts on here so I have some questions. Can you find 91 Octane readily available in most marinas in Florida? How about Grand Bahama? Is there a online directory that shows where these marinas are? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not certain about elsewhere in the state, but I can tell you that 91 is becoming a real rarity on the water in the greater Tampa Bay area. I only know of one place near me out of dozens that still sells 91. It used to be plentiful, but not anymore. Also of note, of the handful of waterside fueling docks I've been to in the Cape Coral area, I have not seen anything above 89.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have recently tested over 40 samples of pump gas from off the street stations, from 7-11 to Exxon. In each case here in Virginia the gas was said to contain 10% ethanol.

Each sample gasoline regardless of rated octane contained 9-11 % ethanol

Each sample was 1 to 1.7 points higher in octane that what the octane rating was on the pump ( these are also the "minimum octane" as the sticker on the pump says)

89 octane for example is really 90 - 90.7 octane
Old 06-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I'm not certain about elsewhere in the state, but I can tell you that 91 is becoming a real rarity on the water in the greater Tampa Bay area. I only know of one place near me out of dozens that still sells 91. It used to be plentiful, but not anymore. Also of note, of the handful of waterside fueling docks I've been to in the Cape Coral area, I have not seen anything above 89.
Thats 90 where we fuel Nick.

Around the corner, at the new hotel AND up the river at the wharf.

My engines require it.