Whats with all the Bashing??? >

Whats with all the Bashing???

Notices

Whats with all the Bashing???

Old 06-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely independent of this case I would like to mention:
When you dont want any false-negative posting you expect a Mission Impossible from the internet as i.e. one honest member formerly using this boatpage mentioned that he is bipolar (manic/depressive) and that he got the impression that a minor number of boaters is bipolar too which means not mentally healthy. You have to live with that also outside of the internet and must find a reasonable reaction without bashing and more pouring of oil in the fire - you will have to find a superior behaviour as an answer of inferior behaviour and a reaction on people who cant help it that they have a disorder (perhaps results of head injuries...).
Old 06-14-2010, 08:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
It's my understanding that the whole purpose of websites like this is for communication, socialization, and exchange of information on a given topic. Within that outline is broad range of potential pitfalls. One of them is human nature and the tendency to either exagerate, or in some cases out right lie. On the other hand there are real and legitimate issues, problems and concerns that would never see the light of day in commercial print or broadcast media.

Today there is a school of thought that believes, naively perhaps, that all conversation must be "positive". This discredits legitimate criticism and paints it under the broad brush of "bashing". Certainly there are unnecesarily negative posts (see "human nature" above) that have no place on the board and it sounds like a few vendors have unfairly suffered from this. On the other hand there have been a number of nefarious vendors exposed on this same site and certainly saved unsuspecting buyers from falling into their clutches. The trick is in finding a balance that works.

I suggest that there is just as much harm in unfairly negative bias as there is in only allowing "positive" clap trap. The key is to be discriminating and logical and check your ego at the door. As far as those "professionals" who don't post on here are concerned. Many can't engage for pure corporate marketing and political reasons, others have nothing to add, and there are even a few who can't write well enough to make any sense.

T2x

T2x,
I agree with your thinking.

For me, I have been OSO since the beginning and I like to be informed, about the good/new products/services, but also about what went wrong, what doesn't work and what works regarding performance gains and the interesting experiences members have had. The more information the better, I like to be informed when I can.

If there is an accident, product failure, ripped-off situation, that is not bashing at all, if the facts are accurate and honest, that is called a negative review and is common to all business. That is the internet, good reviews and bad reviews, all business are not immune to bad reviews. You can't please all the people all the time, so a negative comment or bad review is inevitable. Get used to it, it is the day and age we live in, I just don't like when someone posts his or her opinion and the bashing on that individual takes place, and the name calling starts, and the character assassination takes places because someone posts an opinion on whatever topic that the in-crowd disagrees with starts blasting that person. Treat people the way you would like to be treated.

I really liked the post (#38) in this thread about the big room, and would the person posting say the same words to another person face to face? If yes, then it is OK. If no then the litmus test is, "would you get your ass kicked if you said the words (he or she posted) in a face to face situation why then is it suddenly appropriate to hide behind a keyboard?" If someone would would want to kick your ass in person because of what you said you would think twice about saying it, and the same should apply, again with, treat people the way you would want to be treated.

I really don't like all the negativity, but I have a choice, I can read the thread, or ignore it and usually I ignore it as you see by me posting only 941 times in almost ten years. But JC is right, I hate to see a business smeared when there are two sides to the story, fair balance (both sides) to an issue is necessary for an for honest opinion (by me the reader), and with all the facts we the readers can make an intelligent and informed decision on whether a person has a legitimate gripe or is being over-top/complainer.

Stephen

Last edited by Smarty; 06-14-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't think anyone suggests only positive opinions should be allowed. Take a close look at customer reviews on thousands of things on Amazon. The difference with OSO, in my opinion, is everyone wants to chime in and turn it emotional. Amazon product comments are much more objective, less emotional, and therefore can be of some value to other customers.

Jassby - get back to work so you can afford a boat!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So physical violence is being used in the room to determine what you should say or not?

Originally Posted by Smarty
T2x,
I agree with your thinking.

For me, I am have been OSO since the beginning and I like to be informed, about the good/new products/services, but also about what went wrong, what doesn't work and what works regarding performance gains and interetsing experiences members have had. The more information the better, I like to be informed when I can.

If there is an accident, product failure, ripped-off situation, that is not bashing at all if the facts are accurate and honest, that is called a negative review and is common to all business. That is the internet, good reviews and bad reviews, all business are not immune to bad reviews. You can't please all the people all the time, so a negative comment or bad review is inevitable. Get used to it, it is the day and age we live in, I just don't like when someone posts his or her opinion and the basing on that individual takes places and the name calling, and character assassination takes places because someone posts an opinion on whatever topic that the in-crowd disagrees with starts blasting that person. Treat people the way you would like to be treated.

I really liked the post (#38) in this thread about the big room, and would the person posting say the same words to another person face to face? If yes, then it is OK. If no then the litmus test is, would you get your ass kicked if you said the words (he or she posted) in a face to face situation why then is it suddenly appropriate to hide behind a keyboard? If someone would would want to kick your ass in person because of what you said you would think twice about saying it, and the same should apply, again with, treat people the way you would want to be treated.

I really don't like all the negativity, but I have a choice, I can read the thread, or ignore it and usually I ignore it as you see by me posting only 941 times in almost ten years. But JC is right, I hate to see a business smeared when there are two sides to the story, fair balance (both sides) to an issue is necessary for an for honest opinion (by me the reader), and with all the facts we the readers can make an intelligent and informed decision on whether a person has a legitimate gripe or is being over-top/complainer.

Stephen
Old 06-14-2010, 10:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
So physical violence is being used in the room to determine what you should say or not?

You are kidding me, right? No, there has not been physical violence on OSO that I am aware of, is that the violence "in the room" that you mention? I do not condone physical violence; HOWEVER, if I got in someone's face, in person, not on the internet and started spewing BS impolitely I might expect to be punched in the face, so therefore I will think twice about what I say and how I say it in order to avoid taking a beating. Nor would allow someone to talk sh*t to my face, I have a choice, I can walk away (ignore it) or give that person whom is offending me some corrective action. On the internet there seems to be alot of tough guys who aren't as tough in person, that is what I meant in the phrase "hiding behind a keyboard." As I posted earlier, treat people the way you want to be treated, it is a simple as that---the Golden Rule, and there will be no physical violence. I am a peaceful person. Have a good day.

Last edited by Smarty; 06-14-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: grammar-editing
Old 06-14-2010, 12:41 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

Enough Bashing..... This thread is now closed. Let's get back to regularly scheduled boating please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.