Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Did I miss the recovery in the boat market? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/232639-did-i-miss-recovery-boat-market.html)

DollaBill 06-15-2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by AIR TIME (Post 3136552)
come on the boat is 5yrs old went for what 120,000 so 50 or 60 grand would be more like it 35 is low there bill :eek:. economy still SUX from what I have seen around here up north. my family works on high end flooring, designers are slow jobs keep getting bumped. and with this oil spill it won't be long for more people to be out of work all along the gulf from FL to TX. it must be a spring thing if boats are moving faster.Good to see you back Dolla from the darkside with the rest of the boys. later men

Ok, I'll go with 50 ask. I always default to ACV's when I look at value. My bad.

VetteLT193 06-15-2010 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by DollaBill (Post 3136434)
O.......M........G

How much blow is buried in that thing to make it worth 89K???? Reality is that its a 35ish boat (maybe). It's nice but in outerspace as far as pricing

There's an '07 asking 109k with 6.2's and My '08 is for sale for $80k. of course mine is still under warranty.

just sayin, he's not too far off. probably $120+ cost new.

sunsation96 06-15-2010 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 3136537)
How about this one for a WTF on price?

http://www.sunsationboats.com/forums...ead.php?t=4040

Especially when this one is for sale on the same forum.

http://www.sunsationboats.com/forums...ead.php?t=4057

I know the owner of the MCOB and I don't think he will be too happy once he see's that 525 price, but that is just it the MCOB price is just a asking price not firm just somewhere to start off, I don't blame him you have to start somewhere you can't start low and go higher. They are all nice boats, but there seems to be an issue or spread in the pricing. I do agree with you guy's and not calling out people's boats but this thread may answer alot of questions for me that I have on boat pricing. A 10 year old 32' is priced from $50-60k and a 07' 08' is now priced 105k-130k I can't really tell you who is off on price is it the older boat asking too much or the newer guy asking too much?

Smarty 06-15-2010 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 3136421)
I refuse to single out anyone. I am not here to hurt feelings or I would've said "so and so is smoking crack and here's proof" . :party-smiley-004:

However, I would bet we have all looked recently and thought WTF is that person thinking.

Thank you for your response, and it is admirable that you would not want to hurt anyone's feelings. I am not overly sensitive so for me that is no big deal, and regarding being on drugs/alcohol to have a distorted view of the value of a boat that is funny to me. Your example in the next post on the value of twin small block Donzi, is self explanatory and I see your point.

You are right, we (OSO members) look at boat listings and wonder how that price was derived, whether it is a high price or low price. For example, years ago, my father was considering a new boat (used), and the 32' Skater that was once called "Agitator" renamed "Mouse Trap" at the time was for sale, but before he could figure out who to contact and if he wanted to pull the trigger and what to do about insurance, the boat was sold. I thought the boat was under-priced, and was a steal, and my father would not have hesitated to pay the asking price for that boat (that in itself would have been a miracle). And then you look at some of the boats on the other end (being priced high) and wonder how did that person come up with that price (other than that is what they owe on it). Good thread.

Jupiter Sunsation 06-15-2010 03:49 PM

That Donzi 28 with 350's is a 35-40K boat, new it shouldn't have sold for 89K!

The 32 Sunsation with the 525's is almost worth buying and pulling the 525's out to sell/use in something else and slapping a pair of 496's in the boat to use all the time.

A few boats have actually had the prices raised on, one boat went up $3500 and another went up 15K. My guess is they have had work done and simply took the repair bill and added it to the asking price! One dealer had a boat on ebay for 90K, posted here it could be had for 80K and in the last few days mentioned it could be had for 110K (SAME BOAT!).......

Reality is many boats big and small from all manufacturers were being sold for crazy money when new and now that the music has stopped the secondary market has dried up for resales. The market "sunk" on these boats but the cost to operate/maintain/insure/store these boats is the same as it was 3-4-5 years ago.

If I was buying today, I would want the nicest boat (paint, options I want, condition) reasonable hours and offer a few bucks more than the average boat in its class is worth. To me 10-20K more on a 100-150K boat is worth it compared to buying a cheaper repo, short sale whatever since these boats eat 10-20K in a heartbeat!

Problem is too many folks are buried in their loans and can't sell for any price!

sunsation96 06-15-2010 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 3136720)
That Donzi 28 with 350's is a 35-40K boat, new it shouldn't have sold for 89K!

The 32 Sunsation with the 525's is almost worth buying and pulling the 525's out to sell/use in something else and slapping a pair of 496's in the boat to use all the time.

A few boats have actually had the prices raised on, one boat went up $3500 and another went up 15K. My guess is they have had work done and simply took the repair bill and added it to the asking price! One dealer had a boat on ebay for 90K, posted here it could be had for 80K and in the last few days mentioned it could be had for 110K (SAME BOAT!).......

Reality is many boats big and small from all manufacturers were being sold for crazy money when new and now that the music has stopped the secondary market has dried up for resales. The market "sunk" on these boats but the cost to operate/maintain/insure/store these boats is the same as it was 3-4-5 years ago.

If I was buying today, I would want the nicest boat (paint, options I want, condition) reasonable hours and offer a few bucks more than the average boat in its class is worth. To me 10-20K more on a 100-150K boat is worth it compared to buying a cheaper repo, short sale whatever since these boats eat 10-20K in a heartbeat!

Problem is too many folks are buried in their loans and can't sell for any price!

I agree on the make sure it is what you want with color options and motors, chances are you may own it for some time. I am glad to be on the future buyer list than the seller list. I also think/hope that the boats don't go back to what they once were as far as price.

Jupiter Sunsation 06-15-2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by sunsation96 (Post 3136727)
I agree on the make sure it is what you want with color options and motors, chances are you may own it for some time. I am glad to be on the future buyer list than the seller list. I also think/hope that the boats don't go back to what they once were as far as price.

Crazy prices were fueled by all the "free money" floating around. Everyone was a McMillionaire in real estate flipping and stock market riches so what if you bought a two year old boat for 25K less than it sold new, it is still 1/2 of what a new one costs!

FPC (FL powerboat club) had members that would buy new powerboats annually, trading out of the old boat even for what they paid for it last year. That isn't real world but with crazy financing and an aggressive dealer you could get away with it. Of course when the market changes you are suddenly 200K upside down on that last boat and no one is there to help!

cgarrett 06-15-2010 04:46 PM

I know there are many ways to determine boat values. Banks I have delt with in the past for loans use NADA and when I compare asking prices to book values it is like 1/3 to 1/2 of the asking price.

rlj676 06-15-2010 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 3136425)
Like this guy might mistakenly think I was typing about his ad. :eek:

I am sure there is a guy looking at this right now.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o34546-en.html

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 3136537)
How about this one for a WTF on price?

http://www.sunsationboats.com/forums...ead.php?t=4040

Especially when this one is for sale on the same forum.

http://www.sunsationboats.com/forums...ead.php?t=4057

Those are both boats whose owners seem to be regularly out of it! When looking last year I was interested in both of these boats (not the specific ones here), and the owners seemed to have some really crazy ideas of what they were worth today!

However, that 05 Donzi isn't a 35K boat (unless repoed and you steal it), I'd say 50's is reasonable. Everyone talks about all these great deals, but I had a hard time last year actually buying one.

jeff32 06-15-2010 05:18 PM

even some advertised at low price stays for sale for... too long... IMO, just more boats for sale than buyers on the market...