Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Raylar Upgrade Package for 525EFI Coming in August (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/232661-raylar-upgrade-package-525efi-coming-august.html)

NASCAT 06-16-2010 12:36 PM

There has to be something said for any company that stands behind their product & offers a warranty especially in the world of high performance!

t500hps 06-16-2010 01:32 PM

What's the cost of a brand new 525? What about a new 700? Now add $15K to that brand new 525 and what is the difference to Merc's 700? (I know the 700 is a little more power but at what cost?)

For the guy that doesn't turn his own wrenches this is not a bad deal! (warranty, hello!)

jeff1000man 06-16-2010 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 3137401)
Thought I would chime in here and clarify some things:

First, the New HP675efi package Raylar will be offering for the HP525efi Mercury Racing Engine is not a kit or a simple bolt on package upgrade. I have attached a complete description of the upgrade package and it includes the reasoning for holding this package to 675 HP and it does include a full one year warranty on the new upgraded engine.

Second:
The Merc HP525efi produces on average about 540HP so the new Raylar package provides a 135HP increase in horsepower for the engine that will still be operating normally aspirated on 89 octane fuel and will be producing about the same torque levels as the HP600sci engine that are mated to the same XR Bravo drives as offered from Mercury and as hundreds are operating in the boats now without any large failure numbers or issues.
Raylar could have turned up the horsepower level on this package beyond 675hp but we felt it was important to respect the horsepower and torque level capacity of the Bravo XR drives and we wanted to use a milder camshaft profile that would not approach the edge of reversion issues.

Third:
For those who think you can take a stock or even reworked HP525efi Mercury Racing engine and turn up the horsepower to 675HP with just some overbore, head work and camshaft and no replacement of the HP525 intake manifold, you got a learning lesson coming as the intake is the big problem and limiter. Raylar solved this intake manifold limitation with a complete new intake manifold plenum, which fits right in the stock location and height and keeps the clean look of the HP525efi.

Some seem to think you should supercharge the HP525efi up to a 775HP level. I know its very doable and a few have already tried that with some early success. My argument would be if it was that easy to put 775HP to a Bravo XR drive , why did Mercury develop and offer only the NXT drive at that power level. Yes you can change the drives to NXT's, IMCO's, Indy, etc, but you better get your wallet open and let about a minimum of another $20K to $40K per drive come pouring out for that necessary upgrade!

Look, there are no cheap easy fixes for an HP525efi that offer a 125-135HP power increases to this engine package that will be reliable and sustain the usability of the Bravo XR drives as equipped. The Raylar package is not purported to be cheap, but it is easy, just ship us your stock HP525efi and will ship you back a beautiful, well engineered and operating engine with a one year warranty and 675HP in a turnkey, reliable 89 pump gas engine that will make a huge improvement in the performance levels on your performance boat!

Thanks for your Ear, hope you are reading and expanding your knowledge of what makes engine upgrades tick!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Looks like a pretty good package.

pm203 06-16-2010 02:06 PM

Awesome package for a quality product at a reasonable price! Nicely done Ray.

Mange 06-16-2010 03:18 PM

Looks like a nice upgrading kit from Raylar. I would say a "newest"-style XR will hold up these numbers just fine.
Get a decent drive shower, learn to use the sticks and change drive oil often and have fun.

My XR sits behind a 572ci/875hp /1300newton and after 1600 nautic miles it's still there, both pleasure and race.

Mange

Stormrider 06-16-2010 03:18 PM

Great deal, especially if you buy a boat w/ a worn out 525efi.

jeff1000man 06-16-2010 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 3137707)
Great deal, especially if you buy a boat w/ a worn out 525efi.

That was my main thought process. Shouldn't ever be a corrosion issue with those engines since they are closed cooling as well. All parts should always be in good buildable shape.

Can I have all the leftover cranks and rods???? :kiss::bigbird:

Matt Trulio 06-16-2010 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by teamusaskater (Post 3137803)
The raylar I'm sure is a nice package, Ray does his homework just saying other options exsist for less money, thats all,
don't think so , I have over 15 years of engine building experience , be happy to build and warranty a 850hp motor anytime, think dustin will disagree with you on the simplicity of the 525 upgrade kit he has. bravo shop will soon have the answer on the bravo upgrade for far less than 20k

I know Dustin Whipple really well, and like you I respect his products and kits. They're top notch.

However, Dustin would be the first person to tell you that the costs involved with using one of his kits do not begin and end with the kit. Not even close. Dustin would also tell you that supercharging has trade-offs. Yes, it yields big power gains without increasing engine displacement.

But also yes, supercharging is much harder on internal engine components that natural aspiration, and this, too, is something Dustin will happily tell you. And given your experience, this is something I suspect you already know as well. No big revelations here.

No knock on Whipple products. However, with all due respect, your comparison of adding a supercharger kit to an engine as opposed to sending the engine to Raylar for several internal upgrades, increasing displacement and complete blueprinting—all done in house—that boost power substantially while maintaining natural aspiration is not apples to apples.

Jassman 06-16-2010 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by teamusaskater (Post 3137803)
The raylar I'm sure is a nice package, Ray does his homework just saying other options exsist for less money, thats all,
don't think so , I have over 15 years of engine building experience , be happy to build and warranty a 850hp motor anytime, think dustin will disagree with you on the simplicity of the 525 upgrade kit he has. bravo shop will soon have the answer on the bravo upgrade for far less than 20k

It takes superior parts to put a complete motor/dyno package together..and at those numbers theres no room for enough profit.. let alone this warranty your talking about. Secondly, in todays economy smart consumers are going to buy first from the guys with a good name, reptation and referrals...Thirdly, the Bravo shop left many people out to dry...