Notices

So MD Tornado Photos

Old 04-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

I just read that the tornado was reclassified as a F5 with winds over 261 MPH. I also read that Mitchells was history. I will be up there on Thursday evening to see it first hand. My sister said all of the houses around them are toast and theirs was barely touched. No damage to the house but tore the boat cover to shreds and tossed the motorcycle trailer down the driveway. Luckily the new boat came out of it unharmed (amazing considering it was sitting out in the middle of the driveway with no protection). I couldn't imagine if this would have happened on a friday evening. Casualities would have been tremendous. I have close friends that live 2 miles south of LaPlata and didn't even know anything happened until Monday morning. That is amazing considering the destruction.

Mike
Old 04-30-2002, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sell electrical power products to So MD Ele Coop and know many folks up there. Amazing how few casualties there were based on the devistation of La Plata and surrounding areas. One of my friends at SMECO emailed me some shots of the tornado crossing the river taken from the Calvert Cliffs power plant. That was a huge funnel. If anyone wants to see them send me your email address and I'll forward them. The files are too large to post.
Glad to hear the OSO folks in that area were not harmed.
I assisted in the rebuild of the electric system in Homestead FL when Andrew hit. I know how devistating Mother Nature can be.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, Scary stuff. Glad you and the family are OK.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:51 PM
ScreaminDemon

glad i live in florida...all we have to worry about is 300 mph hurricanes...at least we get a few days warning so we can go out and buy booze to have hurricane partys and watch our homes get blown away!