Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Wow
Thank you.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dkwestern
I agree, a trip 300xs 36 should run close to 90MPH!!!. twin 525's run 93+MPH.
I like the Idea, you gain a lot of boat and the power is easy to work on.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Alec I have a 33 foot open CheetahCat ,road Legal designed as a single diesel IO and outboard single or twin, I built a test plug while overseas ,the Kuwaiti's loved the thing called it the flying carpet anyway it is a fuel miser and the numbers then showed @7 miles per gallon single diesel Then and I had two 50 gallon round fuel tanks planned in the sponsons like my other cats.

Hey pal, tell us about this idea.

I didnt think Cats would work with a diesel.
Sir Glad to. What happened after the first race when we drained fuel from the Cat it used @ 40 gallons for the entire race, the little Cheetahcat 8 's used fuel very sparingly OK! I was thinking of a boat I could run to Dubai from Kuwait (we had a division there) with out refueling @ 600 Miles then at the genoa show I was talking to the VM Guy (they were Detroit diesel) and found a nice engine 320 HP and started working with the fuel numbers from their engineer.

I had to make some changes in the boat and Build a running Plug this was different in the format, that I reversed the sponsons the tunnel chine was now the hull side and the deadrise was under and connected to the Tunnel which had geometry borrowed from the 40 Cheetahcat so the Diesel motor could sit low in the center ,Now on the running plug a outboard was there for evaluation .

Last edited by Steve 1; 06-20-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Test plug was 15 feet and very stable as I moved the area of maximum displacement to the side of the boat , it ran very well even loaded down with small power, now about this time Oil dropped to $10-$12 a Barrel and they could not hardly give it away Unreal.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Great thread, which transcends performance boats into the broader recreation boat market. Wealth of knowledge here Steve.

"Most" boats today are giving customers what they think they wanted, instead of boat makers building boats they Know they need. Heavier deep vee boats, even like my buddy's old Slickcraft 19 footer rode extremely well back in the 60's or so. But alas, speed, power out of the hole became the norm.

Boaters on large lakes and offshore are all starting to ask about ride and amenities in boats, as they get older, and want no more of the constant pounding. It looks like Pantera is the offshore wave crusher now? I've heard good things about the AT hulls in rough water, but have no experience in them.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOATS
I have a question, is there any poker runners running outboard power?
If not why???
I believe a 36' w/ triple mercs 300 XS would be a great fast and maintenance free boat.
Even a 41' w/ that power should run very well.
Just an idea.........
pp.
PS, Steve as you seen, I am not the only one w/ the idea of you offering some type of course on boat building. LOL
Steve 1 = rocket scientist!
The outboards make the wrong noises!

Seriously the only issue I could see with the 300 XS's is the smokey two stroke argument and the oil consumption. The four strokes are ideal but the extra weight may slow you down a little.

On the 41, if you guys are tapping the door above 90 with stock 525's, why bother with pushing the virtues of outboards when those 525's can go hundreds of hours with no issues? The 41 I assume would need 4 OB's to be reasonably fast....

A pair of Raylar 525's in a 41 would be a neat experiment!

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 06-20-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Great thread, which transcends performance boats into the broader recreation boat market. Wealth of knowledge here Steve.

"Most" boats today are giving customers what they think they wanted, instead of boat makers building boats they Know they need. Heavier deep vee boats, even like my buddy's old Slickcraft 19 footer rode extremely well back in the 60's or so. But alas, speed, power out of the hole became the norm.

Boaters on large lakes and offshore are all starting to ask about ride and amenities in boats, as they get older, and want no more of the constant pounding. It looks like Pantera is the offshore wave crusher now? I've heard good things about the AT hulls in rough water, but have no experience in them.
Sir thank you for your nice comment.

Pantera has a lot going for it ,Pepe is a wealth of Knowledge and Jo was running in High Performance boats with his Dad since he could walk and they have good line of Boats and a nice operation going, Keep an eye on them.

Pat at Active Thunder uses Harry Schoell for his bottoms and among us in the trade has a good reputation,After a test ride the customers were usually sold on the boat.

Ride: Mass and Shape ,you cannot drive a blunt 2X4 in the ground as easy as a sharpened one.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Steve is the old 24/7 Excalibur/P&D/Pantera/Jaws/Superboat/etc a Schoell design? When was it first used and by who?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
Steve is the old 24/7 Excalibur/P&D/Pantera/Jaws/Superboat/etc a Schoell design? When was it first used and by who?
It was a boat Aronow had Schoell design and build ,Harry built a Mica faced mold and built one for Doc Magoon with outboards it was the start of that 24 which covered the earth (it was 23 originally the 27 Magnum was 29 also built by Mr Schoell)
Old 06-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
The outboards make the wrong noises!

Seriously the only issue I could see with the 300 XS's is the smokey two stroke argument and the oil consumption. The four strokes are ideal but the extra weight may slow you down a little.

On the 41, if you guys are tapping the door above 90 with stock 525's, why bother with pushing the virtues of outboards when those 525's can go hundreds of hours with no issues? The 41 I assume would need 4 OB's to be reasonably fast....

A pair of Raylar 525's in a 41 would be a neat experiment!

Why be normal???
Besides that, triple ob's cost less than 525's #6 SSM, less cost of maintnance, no leaking headers, no blown Bravos, great acceleration and yes that high pitched beautifull scream, etc etc.
I personally have a soft spot for outboards, Back in the 70's and 80's I built so many boats both pleasure and race w/ the real smokers, todays o/b's are a different breed!
Just food for thought.........
Later,
pp.

Last edited by JO - PANTERABOATS; 06-20-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.