Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico >

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Notices

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Old 06-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw where oil tar is now washing up on the beaches in Destin.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayboat
Obama is under relentless attack now from the Right. That's a great help.

The Left is not helping him either....He is getting hammered becuase he is not a leader and can't make tough decisions on a timley manner.

Originally Posted by jayboat
I have been arguing in his defense, asking, please, what can he do to "handle" the crisis? .
I didn't agree with everything thing Bush did. Its ok not to have his back on every decision he makes.....
Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by klaw

they have said repeatidly they will cover all costs of clean up so we punish shareholder add to theIr bottom line and let them off of hook

If there are shares it's a publicly traded company, the shareholder owns the company, albeit a very small part of it. You buy stock in a company, you buy into it's profits and losses. Its an oil company, oil companies can make nice profits and dividends if things go well, if things dont go well, they can loose money. Thats the risk you take when you buy stock in a company. You bought into their bottom line.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obama is getting pounded from the right just like Bush got it from the left. He is now also getting it from the left.

If Bush was in office you would have had the fringe element also claiming he set he explosionn off to raise oil prices. George Sorros is heavily invested in Brazilian oil so maybe he st off the bomb LOL

Obama appears to be reactionary whatever the public is clamoring for he will give them. What the public is clamoring for is a path to fix this

If they would have televised a room full of the brightest minds around brainstormin solutions rather then the photo ops yesterday his numbers would shoot up.

I think this is being done now but from a public perspective it appears we are all reaching for lawyers and blame game rather then attacking the problem.

Give us a meeting and open with saying the Jones act is lifted we will accept any help we can get and we will not leave this room without 5 solutions on what to do. With the hope one will work

I am glad we have a 20 billion dollar fund for clean up but I just think we got snookered on how it was set up we force BP into keeping 10 billion in divedends so they can give us 5 billion How does that make it look like we took a hard line?

I believe they will pay for everything more then I believe the gulf will be cleaner then before the spill. So I guess what will happen is were all screwed.

I wonder if I can file with BP for my condo value derease in the Keys?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Wildman_grafix;3139187

I was watching the news the other night and a company rep of some new type of skimmers said the Jones act was lifted for them and the ships were headed for the gulf.[/QUOTE]

If thats true...It only took 2 months....WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I was watching the news the other night and a company rep of some new type of skimmers said the Jones act was lifted for them and the ships were headed for the gulf.
That is great but the thing should have been lifted the first time some other country offered to help out! We may be the "super power of the world" but in this case there seem to be other countries that have better technology then we do. Take advantage of all of it.

It is my understanding that they put it back into place a recently....
Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 339 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
That is great but the thing should have been lifted the first time some other country offered to help out! We may be the "super power of the world" but in this case there seem to be other countries that have better technology then we do. Take advantage of all of it.

It is my understanding that they put it back into place a recently....
Yes, it should have been lifted within days.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Didn't say it was right or wrong, just saying what was reported.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would like to see if it was actually lifted all searches come up with nothing

This is huge internet fodder so I would have thought if it has been lifted there would have been word from thh white house on it.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Yes, it should have been lifted within days.
I think that's ehy it's important to go back to April 20th, and work forward. BP did their best to convince the government, and NOAA, that the spill was minor. The 5,000 bbl figure was in place for some time, until many questioned it repeatedly. NOAA had access to sat photos of the surface. BP was diligent in using massive amounts of dispersants to keep the oil under the surface.

In these very threads, some were chastised for repeatedly saying the amounts of oil were dramatically understated, as was heard by political bashers. "Let BP clean it up then worry", they supportably stated

Had anyone known in April/May that the amounts were so much higher, I think better and more planning would have been done. Without knowing much about the business, I gather that the small amounts being stated would not be enough to stomp on BP and demand skimmers from around the world. My GUESS, is that BP deliberately understated the amounts, and did so to avoid heavier fines, increased scrutiny, and a total lack of control over what they were doing. Perhaps they will fond correspondence in their investigations regarding this.

If the original figure was 25,000 barrels per day or higher, I think everyone would have been better prepared much earlier. So I think the current level of outrage should be more directed towards BP, is all I'm saying.

Remember these?

The media is blowing this all out of proportion
Oil seepage occurs naturally everyday, and does no harm
Natural little creatures will eat up the oil in short term
Keep the government out of this and let the pros do their jobs
This is a small spill compared to ...............

We had a similar problem here in Vermont with underground leaking at a nuclear plant. The leaks were coming from pipes that the state was told do not exist. Of course this is the same company that wanted to spinoff the plant for cleanup to a new entity, one that would quickly go bankrupt, leaving the states with a huge decommissioning bill. Trust comes hard lately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.