Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/233082-oil-spill-gulf-mexico.html)

VtSteve 06-17-2010 04:01 PM

So far, the people blogging and reporting on this disaster that were actually being inquisitive have been far more accurate than anything BP has stated (at least publicly). I think inside of 2-3 weeks you're going to see one of the largest mobilizations yet. It has to be an immense task getting that many ships into the Gulf, and navigating them to areas where they can sit and take on oil.

I'd have to think the Navy would be best at co-ordinating these efforts, but who knows. They probably also have to worry about who and what is on foreign vessels, who knows what whackjobs would do if they got that close to our boundries.

klaw 06-17-2010 04:28 PM

No I don't work for Bp or have money invested with them
maybe my point was missed

I said BP should not be let of hook and also criminal charges should be filed.

My point was they have always said they would pay for entire clean up even with paying the dividend they could have set aside 20 billion with cash flow.so we force them to hold the dividend for 2 years which hurts retirement funds and give them 4 years to fund the 20 billion.

Seems like we could have gotten a better deal if this is what was desired

ww have not kicked anyones ass and we will never recover in the gulf in my life time at least

Catmando 06-17-2010 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by LAriverratt (Post 3138624)
where is the verifiction that they ARE here...that's all I need to see.

Well I took my post down because of the post above about the Jones Act, which I was not aware of, I'd never heard of it.

But now, Vtsteve has posted a quote From Admiral Allen saying that there are over 400 skimming vessels in the Gulf right now. So are those 400 vessels American-made per the Jones Act or not, I don't know. Adm. Allen says that's not enough, so somebody needs to ask the White House or the Congress for an exception to the Act.

klaw 06-17-2010 05:00 PM

Bush gave waivers to th jones act days after Katrina but so far this administration from my research has not

Marginmn 06-17-2010 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by VtSteve (Post 3138658)
All would have been better served if the estimates of oil gushing into the Gulf were better earlier on. It wasn't until BP released the video that other experts began to estimate on their own.

As of last week, the operations were being recrafted into one of far more skimming. The logistics involved are being worked on, as they need to build mooring sites to allow for more tankers safely into the area. Foreign ships are already working in the area, and aside from news reports and requests like the one above, there had been no such official outcry before. I think if the dispersants hadn't been used in such a quantity, this would have been a skimming operation a month ago. They've just recently had a fire aboard ship on one of them. Nice of Jeff Miller to chime in a week after most of this was going down.

If BP had been solely in charge of this operation with no oversight or prodding, we'd still be hearing how this spill is small compared to others, and how letting the experts deal with it is best.

So as of last Friday, there were ".. Allen said, 25,000 people are working on the gusher in the Gulf using 400 skimming vessels, 500 barges, 2,500 government and contract vessels and 66 aircraft. I think the number you stated was 32 skimmers. A slight difference. The foreign skimmers already working in the Gulf are from Norway and Mexico.

Here's a story from direct sources from May 27th. It lacks the hysterics that some are fond of, but does state the events well.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...ssistance.html

CNBC had former GE ceo Jack Welch on yesterday and he was saying how much he admired Obama as a person yet he felt that his administration was lacking people with business backgrounds and thus they were attacking the issue is a political response rather than sitting down with the heads of the industry night and day and trying to come up with a solution to the problem, and he was real critical of their response so far. It was there that CNBC reported that at that time there were only 32 dedicated skimmers in the Gulf while the most sophiscated ships in the world at recovering spilled oil had been offered yet turned down.

Thanks for correcting me based on the bad figure that CNBC reported.

klaw 06-17-2010 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by jayboat (Post 3138629)
I can't believe you posted that. Do you work for BP???

I guess my point came across wrong if their was criminal neglegence reds charges and send them to trial

they have never wavered from the stance they will pay for everything so to avoid bad press they hold a dividend and put 10 billion back to their bottom line hurting retirement plans and with this 10 billion back in there coffers we cut a deal for 5 billion a year WTF
if we are doing that deal why did we not get 10: billion a year

they have said repeatidly they will cover all costs of clean up so we punish shareholder add to theIr bottom line and let them off of hook

I just think they won this negotiation

jayboat 06-17-2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by klaw (Post 3138825)
I guess my point came across wrong if their was criminal neglegence reds charges and send them to trial

they have never wavered from the stance they will pay for everything so to avoid bad press they hold a dividend and put 10 billion back to their bottom line hurting retirement plans and with this 10 billion back in there coffers we cut a deal for 5 billion a year WTF
if we are doing that deal why did we not get 10: billion a year

they have said repeatidly they will cover all costs of clean up so we punish shareholder add to theIr bottom line and let them off of hook

I just think they won this negotiation

Exxon said the same thing. You sound like you believe them.

There is no cap on this, it may only be the beginning. At least it cannot be retracted- in case they go bankrupt or something.

Roger Ebert has a thoughtful essay on the situation.

What we can't seem to accept is that the oil is leaking and we can't stop it. This doesn't fit the modern narrative in which we can fix anything if we get organized and throw enough money at it. An earthquake devastates Haiti? The world rushes to its aid. A tsunami wreaks havoc? Emergency teams descend. Swine flu? We get inoculated. The economy collapses? Bail it out.

Obama is under relentless attack now from the Right. That's a great help. I have been arguing in his defense, asking, please, what can he do to "handle" the crisis? We are told he hasn't seemed "concerned" enough. He flies to the Gulf states for his fourth trip and is attacked for having a goddamn ice cream cone. He expresses concern. He says he's mad. He gives a speech from the Oval Office in which he comes up with no answers because there are none. "This is Obama's Katrina," shouts the Right, forgetting that they said Bush did a good job with Katrina.

FeverMike 06-17-2010 10:13 PM

Saw where oil tar is now washing up on the beaches in Destin.

tomtbone1993 06-17-2010 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by jayboat (Post 3138917)
Obama is under relentless attack now from the Right. That's a great help.

The Left is not helping him either....He is getting hammered becuase he is not a leader and can't make tough decisions on a timley manner.

Originally Posted by jayboat (Post 3138917)
I have been arguing in his defense, asking, please, what can he do to "handle" the crisis? .

I didn't agree with everything thing Bush did. Its ok not to have his back on every decision he makes.....:party-smiley-004:

phragle 06-17-2010 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by klaw (Post 3138825)

:bsflag:
If there are shares it's a publicly traded company, the shareholder owns the company, albeit a very small part of it. You buy stock in a company, you buy into it's profits and losses. Its an oil company, oil companies can make nice profits and dividends if things go well, if things dont go well, they can loose money. Thats the risk you take when you buy stock in a company. You bought into their bottom line.