Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/233082-oil-spill-gulf-mexico.html)

Scooter B 07-05-2010 12:12 PM

Getting closer....Oil found at Cat Island and in Rigolets this morning. WWL says "no environmental threat at this time" WTF?:angry-smiley-038:

LAriverratt 07-06-2010 03:47 PM

By SANDY DAVIS
Advocate staff writer
Published: Jul 6, 2010 Comments (0) Print Email Save Reprints Twitter Share Del.icio.us Digg Facebook Reddit
Page 1 of 4SINGLE PAGE VIEW
Oil sheen and tar balls made their way through the Rigolets and into Lake Pontchartrain on Monday morning, the U.S. Coast Guard reported.

The oil was discovered early Monday and 19 skimmers and four decontamination vessels were sent to the Rigolets and the lake to clean up the oil.

Response crews also placed hard and soft boom at a natural choke point in the Rigolets to prevent more oil from getting through to Lake Pontchartrain, according to a news release issued at 8:15 p.m. Monday.

Cleanup crews collected 1,020 pounds of tar balls and waste, the release stated.

“Collected oil is being tested to determine if the oil came from the Deepwater Horizon wellhead,” the release says.

In other oil news Monday, state and local officials expressed dismay over the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ weekend decision to reject a plan to build rock dikes to help keep oil out of Barataria Bay.

“Only a government bureaucrat would say rocks are more harmful to our water than oil,” Gov. Bobby Jindal said.

In the meantime, Col. Al Lee, commander of the Corps’ New Orleans District, issued a statement Saturday announcing that after weeks of review, he was denying a permit request to build rock dikes in Barataria Bay passes.

Jefferson Parish requested the emergency permits June 7 saying it wanted to build rock dikes in five passes leading into Barataria Bay. Later, the parish amended the request to only build two dikes in Pass Abel and Four Bayou Pass.

“The Corps took weeks to review the plan only to reject it today and this denial is another unfortunate example of the federal government’s lack of urgency in this war to protect our coast,” Jindal said.

Barataria Bay is one of the richest estuaries in the state for fishing and wildlife, Jindal has said. It is also an area that has been oiled repeatedly from the BP oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico that began after the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded April 20, killing 11 workers.

Grand Isle Mayor David Camardelle said Monday he was devastated when he found out Saturday that the rock plan permits were rejected.

“One of the things that really gets me is they didn’t offer us an alternative plan and they didn’t offer us a plan of their own,” Camardelle said. “They just said, ‘No.

Man oooohhh man what incompetent morons we have running these agencies!!!!!!

racer-x6 07-06-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scooter B (Post 3151409)
Getting closer....Oil found at Cat Island and in Rigolets this morning. WWL says "no environmental threat at this time" WTF?:angry-smiley-038:

WITH EVERY NEW TAR BALL ANOTHER FISHING SPOT IS CLOSED AND ANOTHE NAIL IS PUT IN MY COFFIN.:bsflag:

LAriverratt 07-06-2010 04:01 PM

word I got off a local forum today is Livingston parish waters closed till July 8th for now but I have not got a confirmation on that..doesn't sound rite because we border lake maurepas north west past I-55

apache727 07-07-2010 01:02 PM

Russia's Shirshov Institute of Oceanology warns that the Gulf of Mexico sea floor has been fractured “beyond all repair” and our World should begin preparing for an ecological disaster “beyond comprehension” unless “extraordinary measures” are undertaken to stop the massive flow of oil into our Planet’s eleventh largest body of water.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-461896

Catmando 07-07-2010 01:55 PM

If nukes are "on the table" for Iran, how much more should he consider this solution for the Gulf spill? If BP doesn't agree they should be cut out of the situation.

Tom A. 07-07-2010 03:10 PM

What kills me is the severity of this situation and yet Lindsay Lohan going to jail got top billing on MSN homepage yesterday!!:angry-smiley-038::bsflag:

Audiofn 07-07-2010 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 3153329)
What kills me is the severity of this situation and yet Lindsay Lohan going to jail got top billing on MSN homepage yesterday!!:angry-smiley-038::bsflag:

I was thinking that very thing this AM!:angry-smiley-038::angry-smiley-038:

Catmando 07-07-2010 10:06 PM

Lohan?? Who's that??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_637469.html

Tom A. 07-08-2010 09:56 AM

Ok, heard on the news this morning that the intercept well drilling is going much better than expected and that they are only a few hundred feet from intercept. They said that they were quietly optimistic that they could be a month ahead of schedule. Anyone hear anything on this?