Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico >

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Notices

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Old 05-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by yahoo
Let me start by Im not in the Oil business. Been around it my whole life.

I have friends that are drilling engineers, and this is what they have told me probably happened:

Oil companies are required to use synthetic mud, for enviromental reasons. It is expensive 40k per ton or something like that. So they want to recover as much as possible.

The well was already shut in and they were getting ready to move the rig. As they were displacing the mud in the riser(big pipe that connects the rig to the well head) the cement job failed (Halliburton). It was an error of the driller(transocean) that the mud was continued to be pumped out of the riser.

When the weight of the mud was displaced there was nothing to hold the wellhead w blowout preventer on the ocean floor.

So up the casing and well head came. The blowout preventer could not have saved this. the well head was already closed.

It was human error by Halliburton (cement job) and transocean bad tool pusher(didnt pay attention to the returns)

Time will tell how bad a problem it is, the longer the oil stays offshore the better, it will break up on its own.

As someone posted earlier millions of barrels of oil a year seep out of the ocean floor in the Gulf. Just walk down any texas beach and you will see the tar.

Hope this helps explain a little
Good post back on topic.

I think I had heard that on NPR,,,,,,, of all places yesterday.

Lets just hope they can get it cleaned up.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What are ya going to do, we need oil and there are risks involved. I guess the problem is that often times when an accident happens it has a huge effect on the environment and that sucks. I hope that BP is going to pay for all the damage but I some how doubt it. The effects of this we have no idea until they are able to cap the well and figure out how much is really coming out of that pipe. One thing is for sure when that oil hits the land it is going to suck for the local economies.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Steve_H

Another failure of our government.

The "In-Situ Burn" plan produced by federal agencies in 1994 calls for responding to a major oil spill in the Gulf with the immediate use of fire booms.

But in order to conduct a successful test burn eight days after the Deepwater Horizon well began releasing massive amounts of oil into the Gulf, officials had to purchase one from a company in Illinois.
http://blog.al.com/live/2010/05/fire...ll_raines.html

Old 05-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from a day of boating in the Gulf of Mexico and the wife is already in bed, tonight should be fun.

Sorry
Attached Thumbnails Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico-gemmoil1.jpg  
Old 05-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve_H
The guy gave me a dirty look for no reason. If you want to instigate a fight between a 51 year old man at the shootout and a 7 ft., big headed, 20 something year old, then you go right ahead. He is probably a lucky sperm clubber like you so it may be profitable for me.

By the way. I never said "he" was kissing your ass did I? Stick to the facts if you want this debate.
I would LOVE to see the first meeting between you two. My money's on Big Mike.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by racer-x6
Just back from a day of boating in the Gulf of Mexico and the wife is already in bed, tonight should be fun.

Sorry
Too funny!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered

By the way. I never said "he" was kissing your ass did I? Stick to the facts if you want this debate.

You had an entourage with you that couldn't kiss you're ass enough about you're superman docking skills and one of them was a big German looking guy with a huge head.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
I would LOVE to see the first meeting between you two. My money's on Big Mike.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I just want to go on vacation.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick to the facts if you want this debate.[/COLOR]
I guess it's not worth debating then. I had always thought you were a nice guy with similar tastes as me. You seem to just be mad at others who have something nice, and stereotype them without getting to know them, or "giving them the benefit of the doubt".

I'm really sorry to hear of your Dad's story, that's horrible. Trading stories of difficult situations in life like it's a competition, is ridiculous. I mentioned being away from home earlier than most, only in defense of your assumption that I essentially just sleep in everyday & mull over which Hatteras I feel like driving that day.

Big Mike is not a "lucky sperm club" person, as you stereotyped. He's a great friend, and worked for his Top Gun that he had, so I guess I was wrong in that uncommon instance. "Joe six pack" as you label the middle class guy, can afford a custom powerboat. It's just not the norm to see a guy making $60k a year, driving a 1/4 million boat, used or whatever you want to call it. Again, that's not a slam to anyone, so I don't know why you're trying to turn it into that. You can use whatever brand you want... I'm sorry I used Outerlimits, since you tried to imply I'm changing my statement somehow. The used market struggles, for exactly the reasons I stated. "Joe six pack", isn't buying the expensive used boats right now, making my statement more true than ever.

As if I needed any more info about you to prove how wrong I was about my impression of you, you make a comment about how both Mike & I are in some lucky sperm club, and how it would be "Profitable" for you, if either of us were to inquire about your keyboard comments in person....? What a cheap comment, and way to live. That really shows what kind of person or friend you'd be, if people have to make sure you don't slip & fall on their boat for fear of being sued for it. If that's how you are, I don't need a reply. Threatening to sue someone, because you're afraid to stand up for what you said about them if confronted, is more than enough info to cement anyones opinion of who you are. I'd never instigate a fight between you & Mike, or anyone for that matter. I'm sure he's already read what you've said about him, but he won't acknowledge any of it, knowing you're just talking behind a keyboard and have implied you'd sue him if he felt the need to inquire further into your petty comments toward him.

Last edited by BLee; 05-05-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.