Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico >

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Notices

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Old 05-13-2010, 02:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Give Fishgrease The F*cking Job!

Originally Posted by alindquist
Some sad pictures... Maybe they need to put this guy in charge of the clean up...
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/5...Booming-School
It would definitely be an improvement. That's one of the best pieces I've ever seen on Kos. Thanks.

Money quote:

Generally, boom is long and bright bright orange or yellow. It is not bright bright orange or yellow so you can see it, dear fledgling boomer, but so Governors, Senators, Presidents and The Media can see it.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 05-13-2010, 02:14 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I cant figure out is how can ANY company be able to drill and operate one or any number of these wells without a 100% reliable plan to "plug" or stop a well that suffers an explosion etc??????????? I mean I can't comprehend this. And I'm ALL for oil exploration etc. That has nothing to do with this. It's about safety measures. I do agree we CANT under any circumstances operate these platforms without a way to seal them. Can someone explain this?? any oil guys?
Old 05-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TampaBeach
OK, well I attended the BP "OIL SPILL" suppose to be for wildlife hazmat training today 1.5 hour drive to it 6 hours training, 1.5 hour drive home and IT WAS WORTHLESS (like really no good at all and had nothning to do with wildlife) I don't know what BP CLAIMS IT has already spent 350 mil on but is sure as chit is not public, private training. I seriously went in with an open mind, at the end they gave us a piece of paper saying that we could participate in volunteering clean up on a beach ONLY WITH A BP SUPERVISOR, what the DUCK is that suppose to mean, I asked and was given BS answers. At this point I have to say BP and our own goverment is DUCKING htis whole situation up bad.

I mean really I spent 6 hours to learn what a shovel is and not to eat a tar ball, seriously that was it.
That is absolutely PATHETIC. Nothing but a PR stunt. I would have made them reimburse my fuel and food from their useless bullsh!t "class".
Old 05-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, well I attended the BP "OIL SPILL" suppose to be for wildlife hazmat training today 1.5 hour drive to it 6 hours training, 1.5 hour drive home and IT WAS WORTHLESS (like really no good at all and had nothning to do with wildlife) I don't know what BP CLAIMS IT has already spent 350 mil on but is sure as chit is not public, private training. I seriously went in with an open mind, at the end they gave us a piece of paper saying that we could participate in volunteering clean up on a beach ONLY WITH A BP SUPERVISOR, what the DUCK is that suppose to mean, I asked and was given BS answers. At this point I have to say BP and our own goverment is DUCKING htis whole situation up bad.

I mean really I spent 6 hours to learn what a shovel is and not to eat a tar ball, seriously that was it.
That REALLY sucks man I'm sorry to hear that. Like if your out cleaning the beach without a supervisor someone is going to stop you...
Old 05-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive just come across this thread and noticed a lot of talk about the dispersants being toxic.. All our company does is focus on water treatment for surface water. We dont get a lot of call for oil spills and stuff but would jump on the opportunity if called upon. Also, Nalco is one of my largest suppliers. Here is a brief quote on how the dispersants work:
Dispersants contain both surface-active agents (surfactants) and solvent systems. Each surfactant molecule has both a water-soluble ‘head’ group and an oil-soluble ‘tail’. After contacting an oil slick on water, these molecules diffuse through the oil to the oil/water interface under the slick.

The surfactant acts to lower the oil/water interfacial tension, which means it lowers the energy needed to mix the oil into the water. This makes it easy for the oil to disperse into the water phase as discrete droplets. Each droplet has a molecular layer of surfactant molecules around it which helps to prevent the droplets from recombining and keeps them dispersed in the water phase. Through wind and wave action, the droplets are dispersed throughout the water column and removed from the surface spill location, thereby minimizing the adherence to fish, birds, boats and the shoreline. The tiny oil droplets are then consumed by natural microorganisms in the water column removing the oil from the ecosystem.
Whats rough on all this is that they use the word TOXIC to liven up the articles. Almost anything can be considered toxic at certain levels. And the amounts that have been sent to the gulf definately are above the reportable quantity thereby ensuring they can use the word "TOXIC"..

Looking through the lists of their products, I imagine the dispersant thats being used it COREXIT.. Once they break the oil down and allow it to sink to the bottom, it can continue breaking down.. Unfortunately they dont mention the time table here. Yes, it will break down. undoubtedly. But in MANY dozens and dozens of years..
heres a quick vid that Nalco made to show how the dispersants are used..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orjr2...ayer_embedded#!

Someone mentioned DAWN SOAP earlier, which is basically a surfactant loaded with dispersants. It breaks up and floats everything to the surface, whereas a true dispersant will break it up and sink it due to the weight.

This is a horrible event and not near enough is being done to fix it.. Watch the video of the broken valve and it will make you sick to your stomach. Ive heard at times its over 200gal/sec of the nastiest, thickets, most putrid crude oil and toxic sludge you could ever dream of being blown into the ocean.

Wish there was something I could do from OK to help out, but BP wont even HIRE walkers on the beaches to clean up. They need truck scales, bags and shovels. Paid per pound.. But BP thinks their best bet is to sink the stuff and let it naturally degrade..its very sad..
I feel terrible for all

And why isnt the tophat that they promised us doing anything yet?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DareDevil
Dawn soap is actually VERY TRUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes but as waterboy222 elucidated, it's used for cleaning wildlife, not oil spills.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Unreal, Oh about 4 hours of it was on how only "weathered" "product" would be the only thing that would ever reach the beach, and it would be tarballs basically. I mean we asked very respectful SIMPLE questions, like

1. If it starts washing up on our beach who should we call???

2. Will BP provide protective gloves and eye protection (this came up after the training said WE HAD TO WEAR IT) again ??????

Every question was met with an IDON"T KNOW?? WTF your traing people to clean up your mess and you don't know where we are suppose to get the gloves you say we have to use???

It takes allot to piss me off, this BS training did it.
Damn, it is depressing as hell to read that. You would think that these clowns would at least have some BASIC plans in place for this type of thing.

Big oil company= all hype, no substance. Big goddamn freakin surprise.

After reading your original post about volunteering, I had been thinking about doing the same down here if they were offering classes.
Not anymore. Maybe I'll go make some F*CK BP signs instead.

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alindquist
Some sad pictures... Maybe they need to put this guy in charge of the clean up...
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/5...Booming-School
Sounds like my kind of guy!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Banned

Maybe I'll go make some F*CK BP signs instead.

LOL and put them up for all to see on the beach where you're doing cleanup!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Holy crap.

The volume of oil pouring into the Gulf of Mexico from the Deepwater Horizon oil rig may be at least 10 times higher than previously estimated, NPR has learned.

The U.S. Coast Guard has estimated that oil was gushing from a broken pipe on the Gulf floor at the rate of 5,000 barrels a day.

But sophisticated scientific analysis of seafloor video made available Wednesday by the oil company BP shows that the true figure is closer to 70,000 barrels a day, NPR's Richard Harris reports.

That means the oil spilling into the Gulf has already far exceeded the equivalent of the 1989 Exxon Valdez tanker accident in Alaska, which spilled at least 250,000 barrels of oil.

Dan Froomkin takes it even further. Most of the oil is underwater and nobody really knows where it is or where it is going.

Damn.

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.