Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico >

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Notices

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Old 10-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Hey Wobble still want to eat Gulf shrimp? JLAY what do you say to this?
Well I can only tell you what I know. Since I live down here and have friends and family that are fisherman that have been affected, friends working with the cleanup and the local gov't i may know a little more than what y'all are reading in the news. If it was oil every environmental group would be talking about it, they are not. It only takes a couple of hours to run a sample to find out if hydrocarbons are present....how do I know? I work in the science/laboratory business. They (LSU, not the fed gov't) have said sample analysis confirms it is algae NOT oil. Would I eat gulf shrimp, I don't see why not. I had some boiled this weekend. The red/orange colored algae can look just like oil/diesel. I have been to wastewater ponds where it looked like someone dumped 500 gallons of diesel into it, but it was algae.

I will tell you that the media (other than local) is gone from here and you won't here anything about the coast/oil spill anymore. Is the money from the $20 B fund getting dispersed, hell yes. I know people getting short and long term payments, so it is getting out there pretty quick. Was the fishing industry impacted, yes, alot depending on where you are located. In some areas they had no oil and the fishing was never shut down, the shortage of shrimp and oysters came from the fisherman working for BP making REALLY good money and not wanting to fish (i don't blame them, less work and no wear and tear on equip). Since that has just about ended more fisherman have went back to work. One of my friends is a welder and he has so much work it is unbelieveable. All the money the fisherman made from working for BP they are spending on new rigging for their boats, new boats, etc.

Is their no oil out there and has it all weathered, hell no. The gov't was stupid and crazy for saying that. Will we ever see it again? very little maybe tarballs here and there. Most of it will get eaten up my microbes that are naturally present in the water, the warm temp's make it a very suitable environment for this to take place, unlike in Alaska where the temp's are very cold (smaller, slower activity).

If it was oil LA Wild. and Fish would have shut the area down quickly. Shrimp and fish are one of La. biggest businesses and they do not want that tarnished anymore than it is. I remember a few times when this first happened (when the national media was here) they would call in an oil slick, La W+F would close the area for fishing before anyone could test the water. What the outsiders don't know is when you have schooling fish and they are feeding like crazy and sh!tting it can look like an oil slick, or when the shrimper caught shrimp and they had oil on them, then after some investigation he said that he poured motor oil on them?!

So in conclusion, what i am trying to say is what ever side you are on (if there is such a thing) question everything and don't believe everything you hear, are all good reports factual, maybe, maybe not (that must be a lie i saw it on fox news!) are all bad reports a lie, again maybe, maybe not (what more oil? damn liberal media making more $hit up!) like anything the truth lies probably somewhere in the middle.

The best way to find out is take a trip down here, do some light saltwater tackle fishing for trout or red fish with a local guide (great fishing right now!) and see for yourself, they can definetely use the business. I promise if you do it once, you will come back to do it again and again!

So there you go like it or not!
Jason Lay
Old 10-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve 1
You have been listening to the Leftist Media way too much, What about the the 100's of millions unaccounted for in the Democommie presidential champaign that elected a complete nincompoop ,I support the Tea party, we are America now run along and polish your red star and pay the union dues.
You've been listening to the Reich Wing media way too much. There is no money unaccounted for from the election; it's all in the DCCC bank accounts.

The "nincompoops" were the ones that did NOT win.

It does not surprise me that you support the Ayn Rand Paul head stomping thugs. Have you polished your Nazi jackboots today? Sieg Heil!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAY
Well I can only tell you what I know. Since I live down here and have friends and family that are fisherman that have been affected, friends working with the cleanup and the local gov't i may know a little more than what y'all are reading in the news. If it was oil every environmental group would be talking about it, they are not. It only takes a couple of hours to run a sample to find out if hydrocarbons are present....how do I know? I work in the science/laboratory business. They (LSU, not the fed gov't) have said sample analysis confirms it is algae NOT oil. Would I eat gulf shrimp, I don't see why not. I had some boiled this weekend. The red/orange colored algae can look just like oil/diesel. I have been to wastewater ponds where it looked like someone dumped 500 gallons of diesel into it, but it was algae.

I will tell you that the media (other than local) is gone from here and you won't here anything about the coast/oil spill anymore. Is the money from the $20 B fund getting dispersed, hell yes. I know people getting short and long term payments, so it is getting out there pretty quick. Was the fishing industry impacted, yes, alot depending on where you are located. In some areas they had no oil and the fishing was never shut down, the shortage of shrimp and oysters came from the fisherman working for BP making REALLY good money and not wanting to fish (i don't blame them, less work and no wear and tear on equip). Since that has just about ended more fisherman have went back to work. One of my friends is a welder and he has so much work it is unbelieveable. All the money the fisherman made from working for BP they are spending on new rigging for their boats, new boats, etc.

Is their no oil out there and has it all weathered, hell no. The gov't was stupid and crazy for saying that. Will we ever see it again? very little maybe tarballs here and there. Most of it will get eaten up my microbes that are naturally present in the water, the warm temp's make it a very suitable environment for this to take place, unlike in Alaska where the temp's are very cold (smaller, slower activity).

If it was oil LA Wild. and Fish would have shut the area down quickly. Shrimp and fish are one of La. biggest businesses and they do not want that tarnished anymore than it is. I remember a few times when this first happened (when the national media was here) they would call in an oil slick, La W+F would close the area for fishing before anyone could test the water. What the outsiders don't know is when you have schooling fish and they are feeding like crazy and sh!tting it can look like an oil slick, or when the shrimper caught shrimp and they had oil on them, then after some investigation he said that he poured motor oil on them?!

So in conclusion, what i am trying to say is what ever side you are on (if there is such a thing) question everything and don't believe everything you hear, are all good reports factual, maybe, maybe not (that must be a lie i saw it on fox news!) are all bad reports a lie, again maybe, maybe not (what more oil? damn liberal media making more $hit up!) like anything the truth lies probably somewhere in the middle.

The best way to find out is take a trip down here, do some light saltwater tackle fishing for trout or red fish with a local guide (great fishing right now!) and see for yourself, they can definetely use the business. I promise if you do it once, you will come back to do it again and again!

Jason Lay
excellent post jay!!! now let me see if I can get my water pump change on the bay boat and go see for myself cuz i haven't been to leeville in a year now!!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
excellent post jay!!! now let me see if I can get my water pump change on the bay boat and go see for myself cuz i haven't been to leeville in a year now!!
That is what I meant, better to listen to researchers, I mentioned before that the publications of scientists and their work should get more importance world wide.

The better kind of british media is i.e. left wing in national issues but not partial in international, Guardian today:

Stewart suggested one of the problems was that far from bringing about change, Obama had brought into power many of the same old faces, such as his economics adviser, Larry Summers, who is about to leave the administration and has been heavily criticised over the lacklustre state of the economy. "In fairness, Larry did a heck of a job," Obama said. Stewart interjected: "You don't want to use that phrase, dude."

George Bush used the same phrase to describe the hapless Michael Brown, who was head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency during hurricane Katrina.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Registered

Makes sense to be not partial in this case.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Jason Lay
Come on now, how can there be any positive news. Nobody will have anything to argue about.

Sam
Old 10-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Registered

Code:
That is what I meant, better to listen to researchers, I mentioned before that the publications of scientists and their work should get more importance world wide.
It depends on where these "researchers" get their funding from. That is the problem.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned

Jason Lay
Yeah I know we're not hearing about it because the Obama administration is actively working with BP to restrict non-oil media access to the Gulf. The Coast Guard has forced reporters off the beaches and out of the marshes where oil has collected. I've never heard of anything like that before, have you?

As to the shrimp, clams and other seafood taken from the Gulf, can the oil-free seafood be kept separate from the other in the packing plants? How would that work exactly? Would the packages be labeled "Oil Free"?

As to actually catching my seafood, sounds like a great vacation, but we're not talking about a week or so in the marshes; we're talking about 30% of the seafood America consumes coming from the Gulf of Mexico and how safe it is. Until it is found to be safe, I'm sure you can understand the American people's reluctance to consume it...
Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

well cat then you keep eating that damn chines shrimp and crawfish and whatever else they ship over here....you know we can trust the Chinese government not to send over anything that would be harmful to us
Old 10-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
well cat then you keep eating that damn chines shrimp and crawfish and whatever else they ship over here....you know we can trust the Chinese government not to send over anything that would be harmful to us
My wife came home from Mal Wart with a package of Chinese fish. I told her I wouldn't eat it and neither would the dogs and to give it to somebody else which she did. I won't eat seafood unless it comes from the Northwest or someplace other than China.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.