Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The Future of Powerboating ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/233392-future-powerboating.html)

TEAMBAJA 06-24-2010 09:16 PM

The Future of Powerboating ?

With companys like Nortech, MTI, Skater, Statement, Cigarette and Outerlimits constantly raising the bar on speed, size, handling, and style, what is left to accomplish? In my eyes, some of the biggest & baddest boats ever are being built presently. Look how much has changed in the last 20 years or so, then just try to imagine where we'll be 20 years from now. I have a million "what ifs" in my head and was wondering if anyone else thinks of this often?

Catmando 06-24-2010 09:30 PM

I think the next step will be new hull designs. Hydrofoils, with their higher speeds and fuel mileage, will also come into vogue.

Viperfitness1 06-24-2010 09:42 PM

hell... by then ima be scootin around on my hoverboard! forget boating!!!

AIR TIME 06-24-2010 09:43 PM

20 YEARS FROM NOW I will be dirt, well in the 70s I figured by the 90s we would be in flying cars:bigbird: and it 20years since late 1980s early 1990s and there making chevy throw back cars ford started it with the pony car mopar is doing it where the phuck is my flying car or boat WELL Gerrys skater kind da flies and has hellocopter turbines in it thats close. but really yes cat hulls went from 130 4 engine heavy 50ft boats to 208 mph rocketships which are 10 times safer than the late 1980s and deep vees went from 90 to 110 to 130 to 180. average boat then went 65 to 75 now they start at 80 and run 100 with stock merc 525s. 20 yrs from now I would be 71 but no way I all broken already 11 surgeries by 50 and need at least 2 this fall:eek: haha. well it looks like I will be on the water next month doing a buck ten I hope:evilb: enough of my babled going to Gellners tomorrow:coolcowboy:

frankenstein 06-24-2010 11:23 PM

Yup, they're raising everything, especially prices

HTRDLNCN 06-24-2010 11:41 PM

The easier it becomes to go out and buy a 100-150mph speedboat
(for those with the money of course) and terrorize the local waters the higher insurance rates will go and the more pressure will be brought to bear to establish speed limits and regulation.

Here's Johnny 06-25-2010 04:20 AM

I think a lot of the future will be other advancements then just more speed......for one, engine longevity.....look at the rebuild interval of a merc 1075.......then look at the new 1300 they releasesd this year......I don't know the exact numbers but I think you get twice or even four times the amount of hours before rebuild time......that open's the playing field to a lot more buyers.....jut think of them building a 700hp engine with the ability to run 2000 hard hrs before a rebuild.....count me in...... How about emissions and keeping up with that crap........so much more room for advancement in so many different ares.......as far as hull design....I am no expert but to me it is like trying to re-invent the wheel......yea you could add a step, take away a hook etc, etc, but you always take away something in the process......unless there is some sort of amazing breakthrough in materials or foils or wings I don't see a huge gain anytime soon in hulls.......but what do I know?

ufix1 06-25-2010 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by frankenstein (Post 3144644)
Yup, they're raising everything, especially prices

Best comment

seafordguy 06-25-2010 06:49 AM

I hope the future brings more turbine applications in boats that aren't million dollar holy **** cats....

Would also hope the future includes the manufacturers beginning to use materials that don't corrode/rust in the salt water. I know this would cut into their repair/replace business but jesus, why are oil/PS coolers made out of ****ing steel in 2010??

Indy 06-25-2010 07:58 AM

Conventional hulls and conservative paint designs.