Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Storage shop/building questions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/233432-storage-shop-building-questions.html)

skaterdave 07-01-2010 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 3149664)
You are going to have to learn to sift through the posts here, after all it is an open forum and everyone is equally entitled to offer their input.

okay wobble, apperaently your not to keen on concrete work. no offense, not everyone has had the pleasure of wheel-barreling concrete. its called a steel trowel finish. anything indoors should have that type of finish. i will agree with the recess for the door, but then you gotta make sure the slab is slopped proper or else rain will puddle in.

next, 12 guys, i thought i read yours was 60x 60? did they have to wheel barrel from the street or something? they have things called power trowels, i'm sure they used these. looks like 2 big fans that smooth out the concrete?

it cost me $300,the bucket chicken and a case of beer for 3 mexicans for a 40x60 and they were done by lunch. plus it helps when you buddy owns a 80 meter boom pump truck

for you furture shop builders, try to find guys are experieced in production "new work" concrete and specailize in large flat concrete pours.

i might disagree with your above statement ? it seems some in power here are beyond reproach

Wobble 07-01-2010 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by skaterdave (Post 3149681)
okay wobble, apperaently your not to keen on concrete work. no offense, not everyone has had the pleasure of wheel-barreling concrete. its called a steel trowel finish. anything indoors should have that type of finish. i will agree with the recess for the door, but then you gotta make sure the slab is slopped proper or else rain will puddle in.

next, 12 guys, i thought i read yours was 60x 60? did they have to wheel barrel from the street or something? they have things called power trowels, i'm sure they used these. looks like 2 big fans that smooth out the concrete?

it cost me $300,the bucket chicken and a case of beer for 3 mexicans for a 40x60 and they were done by lunch. plus it helps when you buddy owns a 80 meter boom pump truck

for you furture shop builders, try to find guys are experieced in production "new work" concrete and specailize in large flat concrete pours.

i might disagree with your above statement ? it seems some in power here are beyond reproach

9000 sq feet of concrete including the shop, the concrete was poured by 7.30 pm finishing crew left at 4am. They used 3 motorized finishing machines + all the trowel work around the bolts doors etc.

When I say planning is everything, I am referring to utilities, drainage etc.

You are apparently in the concrete business so there is nothing I can tell you. However there is plenty a potential shop builder can learn from these threads.

Audiofn 07-02-2010 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by northernoffshore (Post 3145312)
spray foam

While spray foam is amazing stuff, I would not use it unless you plan to put sheet rock up over it. That stuff catches fire easy and when it burns it is toxic nasty stuff and it goes up FAST! We test burned some of the leftovers we had at my place. All I could think was man I hope my house never catches on fire!

Robertjr 07-02-2010 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 3149719)
9000 sq feet of concrete including the shop, the concrete was poured by 7.30 pm finishing crew left at 4am. They used 3 motorized finishing machines + all the trowel work around the bolts doors etc.

You are apparently in the concrete business so there is nothing I can tell you. However there is plenty a potential shop builder can learn from these threads.

I for one appreciate all the info and experiences with these type builds. I may be a ways off from starting my project, but i'm taking it all in! there is no replacement for knowledge......................................... Rjr................................

Robertjr 07-02-2010 07:35 AM

By the way, whats an average price per sq ft for six in thick finished concrete. I'm sure it varies state to state, but I need an idea.............................Rjr.............. ................

northernoffshore 07-02-2010 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3149804)
While spray foam is amazing stuff, I would not use it unless you plan to put sheet rock up over it. That stuff catches fire easy and when it burns it is toxic nasty stuff and it goes up FAST! We test burned some of the leftovers we had at my place. All I could think was man I hope my house never catches on fire!

r84 is flame retardant. For insulation, it works great . I would use hardy board for the inside walls.

skaterdave 07-02-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 3149719)

wobble, from what i read earlier your shop was 60x60 = 3600 sq ft. my was 40 x 60 = 2400 sq ft.

9000 is a big difference. more than 3 x everything. actually i was in the framing/construction which i delt with alot of concrete guys. i can always learn more, just trying to keep thing simple and understandable so other can also learn.

skaterdave 07-02-2010 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Robertjr (Post 3149816)
By the way, whats an average price per sq ft for six in thick finished concrete. I'm sure it varies state to state, but I need an idea.............................Rjr.............. ................

concrete itself is around $120 to 150 a yard atleast around and depends on how much you buy. there's minumum delivery charges along with some small truck fees, usaully.

1 yard will cover 54 sq ft at 6" deep, 1 yard is 27 cubic ft so you can do the math from there.

in wobble's case 9000 sq ft at 6" = 167 yrds x $120 = $20000

you can see how things add up quickly.

CcanDo 07-02-2010 08:25 PM

A couple thoughts....A steel building is less flammable than wood.....Bat roll insulation is available ranging from fragile to most durable (lining for the basket ball court insulation may be over engineered but will with stand impact from basket balls) One product to consider may be "wmp 50" which has micro perforations, tough and affordable....Columns can be on center 20' + centers, allowing for one continuous bi-fold wall with wheels that roll up the columns. Further, the wall in up position serves as an awning, eliminates all or some roll up panel doors costing 12 to $1,600 each plus openers and maintainance....Be it a steel building... "Expandable" end walls are worth considering....A trolley beam capable of 5,000# will cost approx. $4,500....18 or 20' eves provide 2nd floor head room for stuff....110 mph wind load, live load and snow load are important....mesh concrete is strong...harder to finish....5 sack cement with complimenting quality sand, aggregate and add mix in a 6" floor poured over good compaction and cushion sand should work....Of course, plenty of rebar, beams and piers.....Or perhaps, an engineer may recommend post tension ( cable tension slab) Concrete should be around $70 a yard as described, plus rebar....finisher, around $1.35/Sq. Ft....pad and cushion sand extra.

Now is a good time to be shopping...Metal building/steel companies are swapping dollars to keep their doors open.

Stilwell 07-03-2010 12:29 AM

Concrete prices

Are the concrete prices you guys are giving just for the aggregate? I am currently working with Morton Buildings on a project and they are telling me $4.50 a sq. ft. for concrete work start to finish.

Thanks.