Tipping $$ at the marinas/yacht clubs

Notices

Tipping $$ at the marinas/yacht clubs

Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 PM
I'd rather be boating!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tipping $$ at the marinas/yacht clubs

What is the etiquette for tipping at the marinas? The dockhands, gas dock, etc? Is it expected, needed, appropriate, appreciated? Is it ok to not tip?
Old 06-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

i always tip for all of them if the job is well done, when i am pulling up and there is a certain amount of effort by the staff. Tip accordingly and I think it is important to do so. If i pull in and have to do everything myself or there is zero effort then notta. Gas dock usually a five or so, if i get a hand or two pulling up to a city dock and they help tie off then a couple bucks apiece and i do think it is appreciated (generally is around here anyway). Out at the Bay i usually throw Jon a twenty a day for how ever long i am there, he does a great job running the dock.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 06-26-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Most of the time gas docks etc.. are all run by kids, making squat..if thework ethic is there, reward it. If its not, they get their hourly wage.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:09 AM
Registered

i always throw a few bucks. they always seem to remember you after that. extra help is always nice.. mark
Old 06-27-2010, 07:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

agreed, usually a fiver to the kids helping dock, gas attendants a lil more if they are really helpful.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I always tip 5-10. More if they really help out. A young lady was filling up the boat last year and broke the tether chain to the gas cap. The cap was gone, 70 bucks at the bottom of the lake. She felt terrible about. She still got a five from me. I drove off with duct tap over the inlet.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Ike
Charter Member#93
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by capt2130
I always tip 5-10. More if they really help out. A young lady was filling up the boat last year and broke the tether chain to the gas cap. The cap was gone, 70 bucks at the bottom of the lake. She felt terrible about. She still got a five from me. I drove off with duct tap over the inlet.
Thats the way it should be,sh!t happens.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:34 AM
I'd rather be boating!
Platinum Member

Thanks guys!

Someone saw us tipping the kid helping us get out of a raft up at a lunch stop and asked us "Why did you give that kid money?" Which led to a discussion about tipping the kids that work at the docks.

I agree, the people working there are usually kids making minimum wage. Most of them seem like they want to help and appreciate the little extra. And if they really like the boat ...

Old 06-27-2010, 09:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Ike
Thats the way it should be,sh!t happens.
agreed, i will physically do the pumping, their job is to keep the hose off my boat and such. I know my boat better than anyone, i know to hold the handle upside down so it fills easier, they wouldnt know to do that,
Old 06-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Funny Story....

I go to a waterfront bar/restaurant a few times a month. It is a marina with 100 ft yachts and they offer 4 20-25 ft. "free docks." I can easily make use of them but at busy times they are full and you will need an assigned slip for an hour or two. The dockhands will call out a slip number and assist getting you tied up. I have never not gotten a slip, the standard tip is $20.

I was out with a friend who has a 300K go fast. I mentioned going to Sailfish for lunch. He arrogantly said, go fast boats get turned away. When I inquired what he tipped, he turned and asked you give those guys money? Needless to say, we pulled in, got tied up and he felt like he knew the secret password to getting in there......

Go out of your way, get paid....Do the bare minimum and get the bare minimum (0$)......

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 06-27-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.