So who's new DCB M35 is this? >

So who's new DCB M35 is this?

Notices

So who's new DCB M35 is this?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rvrrat
Why would someone with an East Coast, 12' wave smashing "true cat" that'll do 175MPH with twin 525's fully loaded with fuel and 8 passengers, be worried or jealous of a West Coast "lake" (or like the other guy said, "river") boat?

175 MPH with twin 525's???????????
Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerplay25
175 MPH with twin 525's?

I'd like to see that!
I was exaggerating a little to make a point, sorry.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Registered

Not once have I compared anything to a Skater, but another Skater. Now we're talking apples to apples, yes?

And guess what, its ok to have a preference. I think each boat has its own unique purpose. They each have their own characteristics. Why? because they are built different. So its kind of hard to compare them now isnt it? If that makes sense.

River boats huh? Now thats just plain ignorant. But its a free country, you go ahead and think what you want. I won't hold it against you.

it wasn't you comparing the two or different boats to each other that is why i said anyone.

yes each boat is different, stems back to others comparing them.

i said river boat as a way to describe them i dont know what to say really, i am going by being in all 3 boats on our lake on a weekend, and the center pod drawbacks really come out was where i was basing it, and all of those boats are fairly similar, no cabins small cockpits, meant to go fast.

i did not say anything negative about this boat, was also wondering why there was a center pod on a boat this big. i can see why it would go on some of the smaller boats as it does get rid of certain characteristics.

Last edited by Timeless61; 06-29-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I was exaggerating a little to make a point, sorry.
So in essence, you are saying you are full of **** like everyone else. Dave started off rigging Eliminators and even some Skaters. He splashed a 30' Eliminator he got from Bret Leach which made his 29' and this was then stretched to make the 31'. If one was to look at everything Dave does he is attempting to emulate what Skater does and this is not typed in a bad way, it is just a fact that Dave follow's what East Coast builders do more than you are willing to admit and give him credit for. I believe what everyone is saying is when it comes time to write the check, the price is the same between the DCB and the East Coast builders people have mentioned so therefore the comparison to the "Value" between the two comes to lite.

I do not know why people say one boat has bling and the other does not when the same stereo will fit into either make. The interiors look similar between the two, both have coolers, bucket seats, intercoms, stereos and the like so there really is little to say one has that the other does not or cannot. I know for a fact though, at Desert Storm, more people were speaking of the WOW factor of the Skater and it's interior far more than they were the DCB's. Dave was even asking Peter how he made the "Collegewood" boat and it's details. Not the other way around, which leads to what typed above. Watch for Dave to emulate more of what Skater has done again.

Now before you go hating on this post, read close. There is no hating and there is no b.s. just the facts. Who was it that said "Slugs don't like Salt Water" ?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:27 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a good looking DCB.

For the kind of boating I like to do, the beds, couches, major electronics, & motorized bells & whistles that many of the "West Coast Style" boats have, just don't seem to hold up as well over time, without turning the boat into a rattle trap.

That's not to say there's ANYTHING wrong with someone wanting more of these types of options, which is why DCB & similar companies offer them to their customers. You can have those types of things, a low freeboard, & multi-piece interiors when you're boating on Lake Havasu, Mead, or any similar smooth water "desert lake" out West.

It will just tear the hell out of those things though in places like the Great Lakes, loto, The Gulf, or the Atlantic Ocean.

As "boatless" mentioned, I like the fact that Dave takes inspiration from guys like Peter, and isn't afraid to incorporate it into his own boats to make them better, rather than act like it's taboo, or against some "code" to get an idea, or give credit to another builder.

If I were doing the type of smoother water, desert boating that you find out West, I think DCB builds the best boat of all of the "West Coast" builders.

I just prefer the full custom, purpose built style that Skaters, MTI's, etc are designed for. They aren't built to sleep on, go to the bathroom, cookout, or to carry your wife's closet. They are built to go fast, and to last, which is my personal reasoning for having a cat
Old 06-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

My F-34 is a true tunnel with no centerpod. It has a deep tunnel and no centerpod. It was built with top shelf composites and techniques. The beam is narrow and was designed to be trailerable without a permit and fit in most boat barns. It was built in 2001, no creeks, no rattles, everything through bolted. The design did not sell well in California because it has a hop between 70 and 90. Also with a deep tunnel and narrow beam you have to know what you are doing to drive it. It did not fit the needs of West Coast people and was not popular there.
It was constructed to be very tough and it is, but also very heavy.
Peter Hledin is a true master of building boats light, fast and strong. He is the top engineer of cat speed. This is the absolute truth. His rigging is top notch. The rigging and attention to detail of my DCB is not second best compared to a skater though. I would say that most of the bashers have not been in one. Dave will tell you that making ocean boats is not his mission now. Never the less he has learned a lot and is making impressively performing cats now. He does everything right, no shortcuts. My boat fits my needs and I am happy with it.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just prefer the full custom, purpose built style that Skaters, MTI's, etc are designed for. They aren't built to sleep on, go to the bathroom, cookout, or to carry your wife's closet. They are built to go fast.

BLee "Purpose Built" is an excellent way of summing up the point I was trying to make w/ the BMW vs. Ferrari comparison!

Well Said!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boatlesss
So in essence, you are saying you are full of **** like everyone else. Dave started off rigging Eliminators and even some Skaters. He splashed a 30' Eliminator he got from Bret Leach which made his 29' and this was then stretched to make the 31'. If one was to look at everything Dave does he is attempting to emulate what Skater does and this is not typed in a bad way, it is just a fact that Dave follow's what East Coast builders do more than you are willing to admit and give him credit for. I believe what everyone is saying is when it comes time to write the check, the price is the same between the DCB and the East Coast builders people have mentioned so therefore the comparison to the "Value" between the two comes to lite.

I do not know why people say one boat has bling and the other does not when the same stereo will fit into either make. The interiors look similar between the two, both have coolers, bucket seats, intercoms, stereos and the like so there really is little to say one has that the other does not or cannot. I know for a fact though, at Desert Storm, more people were speaking of the WOW factor of the Skater and it's interior far more than they were the DCB's. Dave was even asking Peter how he made the "Collegewood" boat and it's details. Not the other way around, which leads to what typed above. Watch for Dave to emulate more of what Skater has done again.

Now before you go hating on this post, read close. There is no hating and there is no b.s. just the facts. Who was it that said "Slugs don't like Salt Water" ?
Me full of s*it? Have you been talking to my wife? lol

I don't think Dave is copying Skaters, if thats what you're saying. I mean just look at the differences between the two boats. If he was going to copy, then why the center pod?

And whats wrong with him talking to Mr. Skater? He'd be crazy not to talk to the man and pick his brain.

I love both boats. I also love Doug Wrights. If I did big blue (lakes & rivers only for me at the moment), MTI would probably be right up there. Beyond that for lakes & rivers, slim pickins imo. With one exception, the new Howard Sport Cat. Wow. Talk about a sexy boat. Well maybe 2, I also like the 28 Speedster. More for its impressive numbers with moderate power. But I think Eliminator has fallen a little behind in the style factor category.

But I still see no point in trashing any builder who is still in business today. None of us wants to be limited in our choices of boats and who gets our hard earned cash.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Registered

As long as it floats im happy.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ItsPeanut
As long as it floats AND GOES FAST im happy.
Fixed your post for ya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.