Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake Winni.........Speed limit permanent. >

Lake Winni.........Speed limit permanent.

Notices

Lake Winni.........Speed limit permanent.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

They think they are going to generate revenue from this speed limit, which the Marine Patrol say they can't even enforce and don't want to, and what they really are doing is turning people away from coming to the area because they are worried about getting hassled. It truly is a shame!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think it will change a thing for those of us that love the lake and will keep coming back. I know they were out with radar guns last weekend, but again, not a single stop. I do think it will have a negative impact on future tourism.

I can't tell you how many times I've almost been T-boned in the last 3 weekends by 18-20-something foot boats packed with families or kids that have zero concept of navigation. I would argue any day of the week that the high performance boaters on the lake are the best/safest boaters if you were to break down boaters into categories.

Pathetic and shameful how this entire thing started after the Littlefield accident by a few Bear Island residents. Very much looking forward to the next elections and the turn at bat to get this rescinded. The system works both ways!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 882 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by ktron
They think they are going to generate revenue from this speed limit, which the Marine Patrol say they can't even enforce and don't want to, and what they really are doing is turning people away from coming to the area because they are worried about getting hassled. It truly is a shame!
Marine Patrol already has its hands full with jet skis, out of area boaters and general traffic. To add this to their 8 hour shift can't be great. It may be a nice law to have in your back pocket to break a guys balls but for 90% of the boats on the lake it is not applicable (boats don't break 45). However I suspect 90%+++ of the jet skis on the lake can break 45!

I think the 2 year study was going to find out nothing so they decided to make it law while they still had momentum. Holidays/Summer Weekends at peak hours may have been appropriate but not for 24-7-365.

Interesting point- Does this include snomobiles in the winter months? Technically they are on the lake! What about aircraft that land on the lake w/sponsons?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Marine Patrol already has its hands full with jet skis, out of area boaters and general traffic. To add this to their 8 hour shift can't be great. It may be a nice law to have in your back pocket to break a guys balls but for 90% of the boats on the lake it is not applicable (boats don't break 45). However I suspect 90%+++ of the jet skis on the lake can break 45!

I think the 2 year study was going to find out nothing so they decided to make it law while they still had momentum. Holidays/Summer Weekends at peak hours may have been appropriate but not for 24-7-365.

Interesting point- Does this include snomobiles in the winter months? Technically they are on the lake! What about aircraft that land on the lake w/sponsons?
They can't enforce it. The lake is beautiful and we are here to stay...as well as our boats

Last edited by cowisl; 06-29-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

The bottom line is that it is business as usual. The Marine Patrol thinks its a joke and are sick of getting the complaints and calls that a 22 Donzi is doing 100 MPH somewhere on the lake. They know it is not true and are tired of the crybabies. Also, the house and senate should be ashamed of themselves. To pass any law without supporting data and on emotion is wrong. The house is full of the most incompetant bunch of fools in the state. The senate is not as bad, but they should of stood up and did the right thing and corrected this wrong doing. The governor didn't even want to get involved. He told the senate to squash it. There are many boats that exceed the speed limit daily. You just have to be careful where you do it. Its like doing 80 mph in a 65 mph zone in your car. It is not always enforceable. So, enjoy your boat, but before you do a high speed run, take a look first and see who is around.

P.S.
It is not about revenue, its about a small group of people who don't like the noise of powerboats and revenge for one of their friends that was killed by a 30 foot Baja going less than 30mph at night by a dui.

Last edited by pm203; 06-29-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It IS ashame, and the Gov, should be ashamed of himself for signing feel-good legislation, period. Times change, but to curtsy to a bunch of whiners - for whining - is just wrong...
Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Registered

Some very good points made and I agree that we are not going anywhere, here to stay for sure so they better get used to it!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ktron
Some very good points made and I agree that we are not going anywhere, here to stay for sure so they better get used to it!
Amen to that!

DK - how's the 20 comin' along!?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DoTheMath
Amen to that!

DK - how's the 20 comin' along!?
It is at Phil's and he is pretty busy but it's coming along slowly.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DoTheMath
It IS ashame, and the Gov, should be ashamed of himself for signing feel-good legislation, period. Times change, but to curtsy to a bunch of whiners - for whining - is just wrong...
There is nothing worse than passing a law just to pass it. How about looking at some stats? How about talking to the Marine patrol, who in their own words said it was not needed. Why would you agree to create a new law when every fact shows that you need to? Its hard to believe these fools are making laws at all. It is nothing short of disgraceful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.