Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake Winni.........Speed limit permanent. >

Lake Winni.........Speed limit permanent.

Notices

Lake Winni.........Speed limit permanent.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pm203
There is nothing worse than passing a law just to pass it. How about looking at some stats? How about talking to the Marine patrol, who in their own words said it was not needed. Why would you agree to create a new law when every fact shows that you need to? Its hard to believe these fools are making laws at all. It is nothing short of disgraceful.
The fact is the Lake property owners that have DEEP Pockets dictate to the politicians what they want. $$$$ has a lot of clout on Winni as it does on Lake George. When all the special laws were passed on LG some 25+ years ago, a lot of HP boaters said it wouldn't last.
Maybe the existing Marine patrol isn't happy with it and may turn their heads the other way, but what if a lake commission is formed and they start a permit system and charging fees to use the lake?? Then take that revenue, buy boats and form a Lake patrol with a bunch of Gung Ho wanna be cops that will wear out a ball point pen in one day.
There are a lot of HP boaters on OSO that have had some experience with the LG patrol. They can tell you some stories.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

The Marine Patrol is very underfunded. What they really need is to concentrate is on existing rules and boating safety. Radar guns are such a waste of time for them so they admitt.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will they train their lake patrols any better than LG does?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a good story about boating on LG, I've been cruising around the lake for the past 2 months with speed up to 80mph and have had no problems with MP. i had a LG patrol boat pull up to me while doing 30 mph (i had slowed down from 65) he had his binoculars (sp?), looked the boat over a turned away. I was told he was checking for my permit. I have acually been pulled over more time on the GSL than LG.

Here is my take on speed limits...everday i get in my truck or car and drive down the road, most of the time i exceed the speed limit. BIG DEAL.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I like your way of thinking.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be boating on lake winnie tomorrow...Slow speeds are not my friend
Old 06-30-2010, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ktron
They think they are going to generate revenue from this speed limit, which the Marine Patrol say they can't even enforce and don't want to, and what they really are doing is turning people away from coming to the area because they are worried about getting hassled. It truly is a shame!
My Wife and I spent many years boating on Winni; that slowed some after moving to Sebago but we still would head over there for a week every summer.

We have not been to Winnipesaukee since all this speed limit stuff has gone down. Just don't need the hassel.

Kurt
Old 06-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully, Winni's MP won't be turned into what I hear about the patrols on LG. The biggest complaint on both lakes was noise, and those that wanted Golden Pond felt the easiest way to regulate was speed limits. Their arguments lacked any facts, but it worked.

My family had a waterfront house there for thirty years, and I spent every summer as a kid there. Too bad things changed so much. I would think HP boaters would prefer Champlain to Winni. Much more wide open, longer runs, bigger water. But a long haul for Southern NE folks.

My guess is that if people police their own groups and not allow things to get too bad, nothing much will change. I believe the MP hopes the law will be enough, because they don't want to be radar cops, they have better things to do. I think if people just respect the safe distance law (150'), and generally not abuse their rights, things will be fine. I'd rather have big HP boats going 80 mph at a safe distance than idiot bowrider rental boats with tubers cutting me off all day.

Stay sober, boat safely. And for those with video, be sure to take some footage of idiot boneheads doing stupid things at slow speeds. There's never a lack of good content for bonehead footage.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GATORONE
I'll be boating on lake winnie tomorrow...Slow speeds are not my friend

With the Skater?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

Winni is still a blast! MP's have been nothing but very nice to me, I can't say enough good about the way I have been treated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.