Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lake Winni.........Speed limit permanent. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/233658-lake-winni-speed-limit-permanent.html)

Jupiter Sunsation 06-29-2010 06:47 AM

Lake Winni.........Speed limit permanent.

Lake Winni speed limits here to stay

MEREDITH – Gov. John Lynch signed a law yesterday permanently limiting boat speed on Lake Winnipesaukee to 45 miles an hour during the daytime and 30 mph at night.

Boaters, residents and visitors to the Lakes Region expressed mixed reactions.

Arthur Caferelli of Meredith said there is enough room on Lake Winnipesaukee so that no boat speed limit should be required by law -- most of the time.

"But then there are certain times when I think it is wise," he said while sitting on a bench at the Meredith Town Docks, fishing rod in hand. There were few if any boats on the water yesterday, but he noted that will change this July 4th weekend.

"Forty-five miles an hour. That's fast enough. I mean, how fast do you need to go?"

But 18-year-old Jon Frame of Moultonborough said a permanent boat speed limit is taking away rights in the Live Free or Die state.

"If they think it is going to reduce accidents, they are wrong," said Frame, who insists he keeps his family's powerful boat below 50 mph at all times. "The main problem with accidents is inexperience and bad decision-making."

In 2009, the Legislature agreed to a two-year test of a boat speed limit on Lake Winnipesaukee. This spring, they cut the test period short and made the limits permanent.

The Squam Lakes have a boat speed limit as well, and have for years.

But limits don't exist on the remaining water bodies, which number nearly 1,000.

"Forty-five miles an hour is fast in a boat," said Atma Nahabedian, 11, of Meredith as he cast at fishing line over the waters of Meredith Bay.

Dennis Breslan of Lowell, Mass., tied up his small power boat at the town docks and pondered the speed limit.

"The night one is good. The day? If I had a larger boat, I might be upset," he said.

Frame said he has noticed a decline in boat traffic on Lake Winnipesaukee the past two summers, something he attributes to the economy.

And he said the true reason for the speed limits is to raise more revenues with fines.

The law includes a provision that requires Marine Patrol to notify the state Division of Motor Vehicles of violations, which then go on a person's driving record.

Indy 06-29-2010 06:56 AM

Pathetic...and I love the 11 year old chiming in.

HTRDLNCN 06-29-2010 07:20 AM

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/n...ukee-perm.html

AIR TIME 06-29-2010 08:16 AM

we were looking at renting a compound for 11 of us, but I told the guy if the speed limit went through no thanks. he had 4 dates left when I talked to him last. so rents must be down up there. we might go to the cape late aug. I heard boats are going out on the broads and still going wfo from a guy monday I was talking to. also heard there was only two radar guns on the lake. but 30 at night is crazy what morons them dems are, maybe if a enough people leave they will get rid of the speed limit in two years, I know we won't go there summer or winter. live free or die yeah right:bsflag: also I thought NEW FOUND lake had a speed limit for years I have a friend up there thats what he told me.

cowisl 06-29-2010 08:19 AM

Such a shame.

LAriverratt 06-29-2010 08:26 AM

do you guys have a lot of jet skis up there on that lake??? if so what are they saying... i get passed by some of them going 60 in dominator and I look like i'm sitting still in the bay boat!!!:lolhit:

Jupiter Sunsation 06-29-2010 09:01 AM

NH also recently became an income tax state on dividends and gambling winnings (10%). They slowly let the taxes/laws/limits start and pretty soon they are in full swing and everything is permanent/set in stone!

Not much reason to visit NH if you are a powerboater......best part is they made it law because the preliminary facts showed that it didn't have any effect on accidents!

outriggers 06-29-2010 09:09 AM

I'm looking for a lake house, that takes Winni off the short list.

Jupiter Sunsation 06-29-2010 09:15 AM

If you read any Mass. newspapers they generally refer to Southern NH as part of the Northern Mass. Greater Region when discussing businesses/jobs related to Mass.......everyone moved to NH to escape "taxachuesetts" yet the taxation/laws followed them!

I can't wait to see them force the "helmet law issue" next!

outriggers 06-29-2010 09:36 AM

Once a state gets income tax money they can never again balance a budget without it. Funny how that works. Doug