Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Flushing both engines together?? >

Flushing both engines together??

Notices

Flushing both engines together??

Old 07-02-2010, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flushing both engines together??

I am making up a hose to keep on my boat......two hoses that will splice in to one.....my primary reason for this is to not have to use the marinas greasy disgusting hoses in my boat....they always make a mess of my interior. My second reason is to be able to flush both engines at once.......that is where my question is......does a garden hose supply enough water for both engines together ? Will one engine pull all the water and the other be left dry ? Is this a bad idea, should I only make it one straight hose extension to keep on my boat and do one engine at a time ?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the exact same setup that you're describing. I bought a "Y" connector from Home Depot, and each end has a short length of hose connected. I connect one to each engine flush fitting and run them both at once. I've been doing this for years without any issues.

I guess it all depends on your main water supply though. My marina has city water and it comes out like a fire hose. But if you're on a well for instance and your flow rate is lower, then I suppose it's possible that you may have issues, but I'd say go for it.

Last edited by CigDaze; 07-02-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Registered

Cool......City water and it flows very heavy....... I don't know why I didn't do this sooner....... Thanks Cig......

Last edited by Here's Johnny; 07-02-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just keep an eye on your water temps and feel the exhaust with your hands. If you do not have enough flow then one side of the exhaust will ussually get warm/hot. I know that at my vacation house I do not have enough water for that but at my home I probably do. Also make sure you use those thicker ID hoses so you can get the flow that is needed. If you use the cheap hoses then your will restrict the water to much.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool deal. This is what I bought. 11 bucks at Home Depot. Each end goes right into each flush fitting.
Attached Thumbnails Flushing both engines together??-hose-y.jpg  
Old 07-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Registered

Good tips Audio.......thanks......
Old 07-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Cool deal. This is what I bought. 11 bucks at Home Depot. Each end goes right into each flush fitting.
Got it already......Nice!!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Dont rev the engines while doing it or you will suck the hose flat! Been there doen that!
Anyway it can be done but i would just make your self a small gauge and check the psi of the water from the supply you will be useing......city water pressure can vary anywhere form 35psi all the way up as high as 80psi depending on how close/far you are from the pumping station and what time of day too. Pressure goes up at night due to less volume being used...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Registered

Thanks Wally........